Kabar TDI

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stone

Stone Member

One is definitely on my short list. Not right at the top -- several other items of similar price range top that, and I already carry wooden sticks -- but it's on the list. This one will allow a couple of ... um, more discrete carry options, especially for those more refined public places like restaurants, pub, theatre, etc.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  2. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Sorry man I misread and for some reason was talking about the tdi. A baton while legal to own is definitely not cool to carry up here and I doubt they would let you bring it across the border

3. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Dang. Can I bring my Fiskars hatchet into Canada? My wood tire thumper? How about my aluminum baseball bat?

Zeek likes this.
  4. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

As long as you got a ball and a glove you will be alright, and we love axes haha

Wolfman Zack and Zeek like this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

TDI sheath update with a purchasing caveat. (If you don't plan to buy one, or anything from SnakeHound Machine, skip this.)

In post 132 on the last page (at least in my browser), I stated that due to an unexpected extra bit of cash (donation), I had purchased a PHLster Gen 2 sheath. I posted this link to the sheath page where I purchased it: SnakeHound Machine dot com.

I had relatively minor but frustrating problems with that company (delayed my ownership of a good sheath for an important tool in my SD kit), originally driven by an address error on my bank's part (they caused a mistake in my account that caused no problems during a different purchase (my new mic) on Amazon, but prevented completion of purchase on SnakeHound Machine (Henceforth SHM).

The next day (last Tuesday), I contacted SHM, first by their phone number which leads not to a person, but to voicemail --it even says that on their web site. I got no response in 24 hours, so sent mail to their email address.

Response was fast and courteous. He suggested a work around by purchasing it on Amazon from one of SHM sellers there. (Same? Different? No clue.) It looked as if the purchase went through. I even got confirmation from Amazon and an estimated delivery date (which seemed long to me -- up to 9 days).

But the next day -- Wednesday -- I got a notice from Amazon that my payment had failed and the sheath would not be shipped.

After spending too much time trying to understand why, it became obvious that my attempts to process my order first on the SMH web site (before attempting to purchase the sheath on Amazon) had resulted in two -- TWO -- pending charges ("memo holds") from SMH, making funds for purchase from Amazon impossible (they bottomed out my account).

I immediately called SMH again -- left a message -- and virtually begged them to return my call to discuss it. Then I sent another email.

Result? No contact. No call, no response to my email asking for help. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

My bank said there was nothing they could do unless SMH contacted them. They had to wait for the order/memo/hold to process, and told me it would be today (Saturday) before they knew if the order went through or not.

So, I waited ... impatiently.

Yesterday, Friday, when the issue was not resolved, I called another dealer for PHLster products who listed the Gen 2 sheath on their site. I called to make sure I could get an actual person on the phone. (I tried to call PHLster, but there is NO contact info -- phone or email -- on their site. (WTF?)

The company I called is Your Buddy Stan <-- that is their page for the sheath. (They were the second distributor after SHM that I tried to call. The first didn't answer their phone, and there was no voice mail.)

A person at YBS picked up on the third ring. A pleasant, respectful, but human and humorous conversation followed. They are in Seattle. I told him of my experience with SMH. He was not surprised. He was professional, and didn't slam them, but said they've had some problems, and are understaffed.

After I told him I was ordering one from them (YBS) after my funds were freed up, and that I was eager to get it, he said, "We ship very fast all the time. People usually the them within 3 days. But when you order it, use a code (he gave it to me) and I'll expedite it. You'll have it in 2 business days. (Next Tuesday for me.) I thanked him sincerely.

This morning (Saturday) at day break, I was awake for another reason, so I checked my online banking. Both memo/holds for SHM had been removed. I immediately ordered from YBS. Purchase went right through -- I mean immediately - and I got an immediate auto reply thank you (automated) from YBS saying it'll be shipped very quickly -- I assume Monday.

And get this: standard shipping from them is free, where as with other sites (including Amazon) it was going to be + $7. Free! And expedited, just because the dude was cool.

Summary: I'll never buy any thing from SHM. They have lost my business forever.

And "Your Buddy Stan" has gained a customer, a good customer review on their site, and recommendation on forums like this. HIGHLY recommended.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Zeek likes this.