Kabar TDI

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That's not a stabbie, it's a slashie. Think electronic controls = nervous system and hydraulic activation = circulatory system. The more damage you do to them the quicker the machine= human aggressor, breaks down. A small stab does very little damage, a sweeping arc with that curvature is going to do a lot of damage. My experience with training was you either get massive (chalk marks) wounds across the hands or arms or you are forced to retreat/fall back and do nothing but defend or try to stay out of the way.

Zeek and Stone like this.
  2. james gormley

james gormley Member

I had no idea that small town Maine was so dangerous lol

Stone likes this.
  3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

It is now that he has it. Don't forget the sticks and the pistol too.

4. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I think im going to disagree with this. Puncture wounds do more damage. Unless you get the jugular, carotid or some other main drain with the slash, you arent going to do too much damage.

Thats just my opinion based on guys dying from being shivved in the joint and watching guys survive from being slashed. I could be wrong.

nathan shepherd and anrkst6973 like this.
  5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Great thing about this place, we can disagree and still be friends. :)

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  6. Theodore

Theodore Member

[​IMG]
    Apply to anywhere repeat as necessary.

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... gaol (jail) is a unique environment in some regards, effecting cutting tools (slashing to cause deep wounds) are rare in most instances, effecting stabbing tools (that are both strong and fine enough to penetrate to the vitals) are much more common (ladle handles, workshop
    screwdrivers, sharpened perspex broken from a window, the "axle" from roller buckets, tooth brushes etc etc). While the stabbing instances often prove fatal eventually the ones slashed to hell tend to give up the fight sooner. There is also the blunt objects that kill inside but that is a different discussion... ;)

8. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Agreed. I would rather be slashed than be stabbed any day.

Zeek likes this.
  9. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Really?

Zeek likes this.
  10. Theodore

Theodore Member

I think it is important to note that the environment where this TDI is being use is one that is cold for a rather large chunk of the year. This is not t shirts and shorts. Late fall, winter and early spring are jacket weather. Carhart, canvas type jackets and "heavy duty " clothing is extremely common. Layering, jacket, sweatshirt, tee shirt, thermals, is learned young around here. I think you may find "slashing" at the drunken fool dressed this way who wants to suprise kiss you:) or hurt you, will not have the desired effect. (Hard working clothing "heavy duty " is chosen due to its ability to resist wearing out and rippi g on jagged sharp objects.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Boy did I open a can of poop. :D Gentleman allow me to explain my thinking, If I wanted to simply murder you, or had no moral compulsion about murdering you, or fear of the legal consequences...I would come upon you from behind and go all stabby (like churning butter) on a small but lethal area, the neck, under the arm, kidneys, which would yes be fatal allowing me to loot your corpse. This "butter churning" technique is alluded to as Andy said, as a sneak attack in prison environments. If I just want to relieve Stone of his money (wallet, computer,beer,pack, ect) and he starts whipping that 2" in an "X" or figure 8 I would think twice about putting my appendages in its way. As to damage, I could double lung a deer with an fmj, it would be fatal but that might take a few minutes to happen. By the same token, if we are struggling you/I might get in a fatal stab..do you want to continue wrestling with the opponent? Having a palm or arm or 7-8" gash opened up will dissuade "most" from wanting to continue the fight. Not discounting the effect that clothing choices, or surprise,or training,or any number of other factors might have on the event. My brother was stabbed in the back on a city street in 85, neither of us knew for several minutes, missed his heart by less than a 1/4". He was still swinging for a minute or two then disengage and running like heck (which is what you do when outnumbered 10-1) for another minute or so.

12. Stone

Stone Member

MoS is right. I own one. I've sharpened it a lot on my DMT. It's just not an issue at all.

13. Stone

Stone Member

I'm guessing you've never been to small town Maine.

Look, Stephen (Steven?) King lives in Maine.
    Where the hell do you think he gets the idea for all those psychopaths? :eek:

Maine is not NY, MA, CT, RI, let alone AL, MS or TN.

It's Maine. The rain in Maine falls mainly on the insane. Travel here at your own risk. ;)

ManOfSteel likes this.
  14. Stone

Stone Member

No, no, no.

Only during blizzards are all parts of bodies here completely covered. It was in the low 30's F today -- Feb 4 -- with a brutal, biting cold wind (wind chill well below 20F -- I know because I rode my bike downtown), and I saw people at the grocery store in cotton hoodies and t'shirts.

Yes, t'shirts. It's called acclimation: you live here, you acclimate.

Point is, the people who wear all that heavy clothing and coats you speak of are those working outside -- on the farm, in the woods -- not those walking in town, in taverns or groceries.

Add that important arteries -- carotids and femorals, for example -- are not so deep.

Add those tendons on the back of the hand and wrist -- what the TDI is made for -- and it'll be fine here, let alone in BOS, NYC, DC and points south.

And in the warmer seasons here (mid-March through October), it's more than good.

15. Stone

Stone Member

And those are precisely my main targets with this knife: that large neck that supports even larger heads.

And being a (former) human A&P instructor (I taught med students), I know exactly where they are. ;)

Add that it's not just slashing. This little hornet is made to puncture deep, open a large wound channel on the way in (think about those gel tests where the wound channel opens very shallow), THEN slash, either in the same direction with a follow-through to the right or left, depending on how you hold it. Training with it in a "shadow boxing mode" will give you a sense of it.

This isn't sewing machine: in/out, in/out, in/out, in/out, etc.

This is stick it in deep, then push past where you stuck it, ripping out much tissue as it goes.

Yeah, I know: sounds brutal. But I'd rather you heard it here than learn it on the street. :cool:

16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I wouldn't want to be in the way of it, a decade or so ago during the karambit craze I trained with a guy who had really fast hands, more than once he swiped me across the midsection with a trainer. That sucker hurt, left a 8-9" welt and I was damn glad he wasn't holding a real blade. Cause without a doubt it would have been bloody, gruesome, and almost certainly fatal.

17. Stone

Stone Member

This deserves repetition, training experience, and study, complete with anatomy classes.

18. Theodore

Theodore Member

Lol. The grocery store what everyone wears report.

19. Stone

Stone Member

Or you could just carry a 16" x 1.25" stick carved from a sapling ... in addition to a TDI (or other short blade knife).

Walk softly, carry a big stick, and be prepared to stab, then slash.

20. Stone

Stone Member

Mocking is not popular here, and is generally not tolerated.
    We've learned that it's a strategy used by trolls.

Care to clarify?