The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. chorpie

chorpie Member

A lot of the dudes on scoutrifle.org adore the Mauser. You might want to get the rifle checked out? But if it's in fine working condition you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know about the ammo though.

Depending on what you do to it, you might end up with a pseudo scout which would be just as good. I bet that trying to turn it into a true scout rifle would cost you a lot of time and money though.

That's why I got lazy.

[​IMG]

C99c likes this.
  2. chorpie

chorpie Member

^^^

That's not a true scout either. Even without the bipod it's far too heavy.

3. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

You can get 8mm surplus pretty easily, but it's all corrosive and isn't extremely accurate unless you get the "sniper grade" stuff which people want an arm and a leg for. If you or someone you know reloads, you can use .30-06 casings and resize them to fit the 8mm bullet. I think PRVI and maybe Sellier & Bellot make some inexpensive 8x57 stuff too. The problem is getting it locally, as a lot of places just don't keep it on hand. Do you know what kind of Mauser it is?

4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

IMG_3289.JPG IMG_3290.JPG IMG_3293.JPG IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3294.JPG IMG_3295.JPG IMG_3296.JPG Not sure of much about it. Here's some pictures for you smart fellas. I do know someone cut the stock at some point in time.

5. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Please do me a favor and don't sporterize that rifle. Is the bolt/safety the only serial number that doesn't match? Have you looked on the inside of the stock, magazine floor plate, internals? That rifle was made in 1944 at the JP Sauer & Sohn factory. Even with the mismatched bolt and shortened forend, that rifle is probably worth over $1000 in that condition. It would be worth looking into for sure.

C99c and JMJ like this.
  6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Do you have a link to more information? This was hand-me-down so I know nothing about it. I believe the bolt and safety numbers match, it's just a bad photo. Where else would there be more numbers? The buttstock is rustiest part so I don't know that it would be readable.

7. chorpie

chorpie Member

8. chorpie

chorpie Member

You can use the ce mark and the 44 to reference the table

C99c, Dave41079 and Delkancott like this.
  9. Benson X

Benson X Member

10. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Well here's my new GSR.

[​IMG]

A year old but never fired. It has the Burris 2x-7x.

Today is just too busy but I can't wait to get it out.

I also took my Ruger 10/22 TD out for a few rounds. This has ended up being a fun plinker. I'm ready for it to get cool enough for some small game hunting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    STPNWLF, Datilite, ManOfSteel and 4 others like this.
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

JMJ likes this.
  12. mil spec

mil spec Member

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut but I had a Ruger GSR when they first came out. This was one of the few firearm purchases that I regret. Don't get me wrong. I love the concept of the scout rifle and I love Ruger firearms. My GSR gave me hell. One trip back to the factory for iron sight alignment which even the test target was still off center to the left. Then the bolt wouldn't pick up the round out of the plastic mags. I will say with the Leapold IER it was a tack driver.

I am interested in giving this GSR a second chance, but I just hate the cost of the mags. Why does Ruger have to be so proprietary with magazines.

13. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Ditch those Ruger mags and get you the magpul ones. I did and ill never go back.

I had the exact same failure to feed. Many people did. Those first gen ruger mags sucked. They say they fixed them but i dont give them a chance. The magpul ones rule.

CooterJohnson, C99c and mil spec like this.
  14. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

and.....Midway has them right now for $28.

CooterJohnson likes this.
  15. chorpie

chorpie Member

I've got three 10 round and one 3 round Ruger mags and haven't had any issues at all through 5-600 rounds or so. that being said, since the magpul mags are single stack,they fit in the mag holders much better

CooterJohnson and mil spec like this.
  16. JMJ

JMJ Member

Cooper approved of 7mm-08 as a scout rifle caliber, so I'd think 6.5 creedmore would get a pass.

17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I worship at the alter of the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have had a 708 and several 308s. I much prefer the 6.5 and have two. The Hornady Amax is a great factory load and can be had for 20$ a box online. I have shot them up to 800 yards with no problem. I am fully confident they will be accurate to 1200 with the 140s.

JMJ and charles bower like this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

For many a moon I carried a Remington 700 in 30-06. It had a 5x or 6x fixed power scope (it was so long ago I don't remember) It rode in a soft side case behind the seat of my truck. I didn't really do anything special other than swab the barrel and wipe the outside with a dry cloth. At a 100 it would put all 4 in a nickel, at 500 it was a silver dollar, at a grand it would put them inside a 5" circle if you could do it. It wasn't a scout, wasn't anything but an off the shelf 06, what it was....was common. You could get a box of 150gr core-loct in any ma n pa gas station anywhere. Deputy's and Highway Patrolman asked, I told em what was in and where the case was, most never even unzipped the case to look. Those days have sadly passed I think. Heck half the time the shelves are sorely short of 308 or 556 in a decent hunting bullet. It's online or pay the mark at a specialty place. I kind of miss the smell of those old board floored gas stations.

STPNWLF, Marty W, JMJ and 1 other person like this.
  19. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

image.jpeg 180 grain winchesters @175 yds. I love this rifle.

JMick, STPNWLF, Datilite and 3 others like this.
  20. JMJ

JMJ Member

Congrats man!!!