The Pay It Forward, Give Some, Get some, Feel Good Thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolfman Zack, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

would anyone be interested in a new mummy sleeping bag rated to 41 degrees F? I'll post pics if there's any interest

2. thepierced

thepierced Member

I'd be down for that. Pics would help fluff up some interest.

3. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I see what u did there;)

Allen Morrison likes this.
  4. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

@Allen Morrison the Mora came in today. Thank you, I'll get that sanded up and passed along to my friend.

5. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

IMG_3640.JPG

Hardly worn Patagonia hat still available.

Will be posting more things tonight.

Paynefree likes this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

@charles bower, I have two companions, but on second thought, I'm going to keep one as a teaching model -- helping my students understand that a good, basic bush knife can be had for few coins.

The one I'm passing on will be a Mora Companion HD in dark green. Heads up, though: I cut the plastic belt loop off of it because I carried it either in my pack (as a back up) or in a tool pocket in my Carharts.

I've been waiting to post until I get everything sorted out (still unpacking really), washed (there is at least one item of clothing), and get enough cash to pay for shipping (I just moved, and moving is hella expensive with deposits and stuff).

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  7. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

@charles bower is that sheath is an issue, I'll gift a leather sheath.

Stone likes this.
  8. Paynefree

Paynefree Member

I'll be posting a thing or two this evening as well...

9. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

Ok, here's the sheath I mentioned.
    @charles bower gets first shot, after that whoever wants it can chime in.

I'll also mention one thing that's changed in this thread which bothers me, and that's people asking for shipping money.
    I understand that some items are big or heavy, but in my opinion the shipping cost needs to be PIF too.
    I gave away many items in this thread on the old forum, and never once asked for shipping to be covered.
    If you need shipping covered, post a "free, just pay shipping" thread in the for sale section, we had a great tradition of that on the old board too.

Traded.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

That's a Nice sheath!

Stone and Wolfman Zack like this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

Totally agree. Nice sheath! Very kind offer.

I also agree re shipping. PIF should be that. Which is why it's going to take me a bit of time to distribute what I have to pay forward -- broke as a joke (again!) for another couple of months until I get my professional efforts started in the new town (which I totally love so far).

But at least I've got a place of my own that I totally love -- one of the nicest places I've ever lived in in a great town surrounded by beauty that I can walk or bike into (important for people with no car ;) ) -- and I can afford it regardless of what happens professionally for me. (It's the security deposit that was broken into three payments that's eating my lunch right now -- well, that and groceries. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    mtngoat and Wolfman Zack like this.
  12. ESEE-Fan

ESEE-Fan Member

If Charles Bower doesn't take this I would like to please.

Stone likes this.
  13. Benson X

Benson X Member

I don't agree with this. The item itself is free, shipping is not. It is not generating any profit, and everyone needs money, so why would the person who is Paying It Forward also have to pay out of pocket to ship the item?

I think it is a fine and acceptable practice for the recipient to pay shipping on the item they want. If someone really wants/needs the item and cannot pay shipping fees - I'm sure that could be arranged, too!

Just my $0.02 ;)

14. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I just feel it's adding an extra hurdle needlessly.
    Especially for people who don't use PayPal or other online payment services.
    The recipient is already agreeing to ship the item they list, so unless they charge too, they are getting the short end of the deal.

Reno Lewis likes this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

I've been the recipient of PIF and gifts on this forum numerous times over the years. I've never paid a penny for shipping, and won't charge a penny to pass things on, some items of which I got via PIF. :)

Reno Lewis and Wolfman Zack like this.
  16. Benson X

Benson X Member

I see both sides of the coin - but I think it should be left up to the person listing their item if they want shipping paid (or not).

Or, if someone wants the item and cannot cover shipping or pay via PayPal etc., they can easily contact that person and ask for free shipping. That seems more than fair to me. We all work, we all pay bills, we all need money for something or other.

I would rather pay someone a shipping fee for sending me free sh*t than expect them to pay for it. That seems fair to me.

Bushman5, ManOfSteel and Wolfman Zack like this.
  17. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I'll add that you were the first person to ask for shipping money here @Benson X
    I'm in no way attacking you for that, just pointing it out.
    No one in the previous thread ever paid shipping to my knowledge.
    Also, in my original post, I stated "....if you have something to give away, post it here, you can't charge anything for it....", that was intended to include shipping charges.

I see both sides too, and have given away my share of items that I felt need to charge shipping for either due to financial limitations at he time, or due to higher cost because of size.
    Those giveaways were not part of this thread however.

If you wish to charge shipping, then I won't tell you you can't, or that it's unreasonable, though I'm tempted to clarify the original wording to prevent this thread shifting further away from the original intent.

18. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I can understand both sides but don't think there needs to be a rule.

For instance, I'm thinking about putting up a bunch of smaller items and while nothing is posted yet, if I post 10 items and 10 different people claim them, that could easily cost me $60. So then it's decide if I don't put it up because I can't spare the $60, limit the claimants to a few people or ask for help shipping. I don't know what I'll do, nor think there is a direct answer, but I don't think there needs to be a rule. We're all big boys and girls, if you don't want to pay shipping, don't post or claim and item that requires it. It is something free afterall.

19. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I will add that he is not alone. On the hatchet I claimed from Allen Morrison, he asked for help shipping. Now it ended being mailed with some kydex I got from him, but I can completely understand his ask. Shipping a hatchet could end up being $10-15.

Allen Morrison and Wolfman Zack like this.
  20. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

Yes, but Allen Morrison is a new member, who posted after Benson X had already shifted the thread paradigm.
    That has to be acknowledged.