The Pay It Forward, Give Some, Get some, Feel Good Thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolfman Zack, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

So what? If I'm giving you an item that's all good, maybe some people are cool with giving away material items as long as it doesn't involve them putting out cash. If you don't wanna help with shipping don't claim something big. I had an axe I was gonna put on here before my buddy took it. You can bet your ass I wasn't gonna pay to ship a 4lb axe that's 35" long.

2. Benson X

Benson X Member

I wasn't around long enough on the old forum to even find the PIF thread, so I had no idea how the "unspoken rule" worked.

My apologies for any confusion or misinterpretation of what you think Pay It Forward should be. I deleted my posts - I won't be posting in here anymore or claiming anything from this thread.

Dagwood likes this.
  3. Boker55

Boker55 Member

I'd give away a lot more items if the person accepting paid for shipping. I don't mind giving away "stuff". But shipping cost money. Just my $.02 though.

4. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

It seems that a lot of members here favor allowing for shipping charges.
    Even though that wasn't my intent, I won't make any rule here saying you can't.
    As @Delkancott said, let people do whatever they prefer.

I've sent an apology to @Benson X and hope he will come back over here.

Allen Morrison likes this.
  5. Ferrulewax

Ferrulewax Member

I think that imposing a free shipping policy is redicolous. On hammock forums (where we originally got the PIF idea from) shipping is provided by the item offered, that is where we originally decided to pull our shipping policy from. However, the PIF on hammock forums is soooo incredibly monitored it is more of a constant revolving and simplified trade between members, and it is IMO, kinda stupid. In my experience, over there, items are just offered by members so as that they can continue to receive better items- i think their PIF tends to be slightly self serving in regards to claims and offers. (But there are alot of realllly good people on hammock forums, actually i like everyone over there) I too engaged in offering up PIFs over there just to keep being able to claim neat items as they popped up.

I think that our PIF is awesome because we all seem to truly be in the spirit of PIF- helping out one another. Whether one covers shipping or not only stands to limit the items and posts here, which could help out our members. Lets not let such a small matter mess up what we have going. If you don't want to cover shipping- don't claim and item that needs shipping covered. If you want help shipping- be up front with this in your post so claimers know what there are getting into. If not- let it be known you will cover shipping.

I also think that given an actual conversation as opposed to text, this would be a much less minor problem, as things can easily be misinterpreted via text.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Wolfman Zack likes this.
  6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Why would you assume that Ben started a trend? Maybe Allen feels the same way. Everyone is different and I feel the terms can be discussed between the two individuals to come to an agreement. There doesn't have to be a rule for everything. From what I can tell, there were no issues in this thread until you decided to make one.

7. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I was bothered by what seemed to be a change in the threads direction, and I said such.
    At this point I have sent an apology to Ben, and will not continue to criticize any practices here.
    If you all prefer it this way, as many of you have said, that's fine.

Allen Morrison, Reno Lewis and Bcamos like this.
  8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I just think it's something that should be left up to the two parties involved. Doesn't mean the entire thread needs to change, or any rules put in place. It's a good thing to allow the users to govern themselves. The riff raff usually gets ran off and the good guys stick around.

9. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Exactly.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  10. Stone

Stone Member

I've read the ensuing discussion since my last post in this thread, and want to read them again later (especially the long, thoughtful ones) before commenting much further. Suffice to say for now, some good points have been made, and I'm reconsidering my position also. (Del made a good point re shipping to several people -- that's going to be my case.)

But I commend Wolfman Zack for being so reasonable about this and going with the flow. I know him as that kind of person.

I might suggest an idea for now. Maybe if we're already committed to free shipping on an item, specify it in the posting. (FS = free shipping). Anything that I got for FS in the past will be FS now, also.

But if you've got a bunch of little things to a bunch of people, or something that's large and/or heavy (like MoS's axe), and would like help with shipping (all or split), say so. HWSP = help with shipping, please) -- then take it to PM to work out details. If it flies, great; if not, relist.

Right now, I need to fix a quick late lunch, then get me and my Halftrack out in the woods during this developing nor'easter. We're expecting 1' - 1.5' (snow) by tomorrow this time, with intense winds during the night --- I'll stay up late tonight; love these storms, especially when I can watch from a warm, dry space. :)

Bushman5 and Wolfman Zack like this.
  11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I wish we'd get one. My plow and truck are sitting in the driveway bored as hell and not making me any money :(

Allen Morrison and Stone like this.
  12. Stone

Stone Member

Maybe you should pay them forward to a place that needs them. I'll take care of shipping. :D

Or better yet, just move up here! Not much big steel work in my little town,
    but Bangor is near and growing. I predict you'd like it here. :cool:

Re the snow. It was great. Stayed out back in the woods about 2.5 hours. Snowed steadily for a while -- heavy, wet snow, even if small flakes -- then let up a bit. I did some work in both camp study areas, but mostly just sat and relished the snow --- didn't even need a flashlight after dark it was so "bright". Thread with pics to come, with before the storm/after the storm pics.

Allen Morrison likes this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

@Stone im not much interested in big steel anymore. I found what I love and thats all I want to do now- weld.

Stone likes this.
  14. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Let me know where I need to send a Fedex shipping label, I'll cover shipping on free stuff. :)

ManOfSteel likes this.
  15. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

Up for grabs:

Some free shipping labels. you just pay shipping.

16. Stone

Stone Member

I've got a ship to offer. Taker must pay shipping fees, feed the crew, and tolerate their abnormal behavior.

[​IMG]

17. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I'll pay shipping on an item I'm giving away if it's not expensive. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the recipient to pay for shipping for something they are getting for free in the first place. If you don't want to pay for shipping then don't claim it. It's pretty simple. No rules needed.

BigJake, Bushman5, chorpie and 3 others like this.
  18. Paynefree

Paynefree Member

see now this thread has done got all fouled up..I think there's probably more posts about paying or not paying shipping versus stuff actually being posted as pay it forward.. I don't mind paying shipping if its something that I want.. Granted if the shipping costs as much as the item would then its a no go.. I wouldn't ask the op to pay shipping on top of paying for the item to give out either.. Let each other determine what needs to be suitable. If we're grown ups we should be able to figure this out on our own..

ManOfSteel and Wolfman Zack like this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this.

Shipping costs should be worked out between the two parties......privately via PM. If the PIF giver wants to pay the shipping, the PIF recipient should agree to that.....likewise, if the PIF giver decides to ask the PIF recipient to cover shipping, that is ok too.

Perhaps when posting a PIF item, the poster should clearly state Free Shipping, or Recipient pays shipping....

alright, everyone quit whining and bickering. Its nigh high to 2016/2017 hour......lets hoist a few barrels of grog and eat some cheese!

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

WANT! NEED! DROOL!

Stone and Wolfman Zack like this.