Pizza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

This is a pizza thread, get outta here with your crusted lasagna casserole!

Stone, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

Just checking back in here about 23 hours after I started it.
    Worked in the video studio ALL day, then experienced the 2nd fire alarm/bldg evac in 6 months.
    An idiot new tenant smoked up his apt cooking steak, then opened his hall door (we don't have outside doors here,
    which is why I want out by spring), and set off the bldg alarm.

All the lemmings were wandering around in the parking lot after evac.
    I was the last one out of the bldg, and carried - wore -- my halftrack.

Ok, that's enough for now. No chance to tell that story.

I'm watching Uhtred of Bebbenburg kick Dane ass as a Saxon
    while eating more of that pizza. I've learned that putting slices in a 350F oven for 10
    makes the eggplant palatable.
    Oh, and more cheese.
    WAY more cheese.

Still, next time, I'll order all meat.

Hammock calls. I'll check back tww.

PPTP (please pass the Parmesan)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Kimchi on pizza?

Where's that rope? I must hang myself. :confused:

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Show of hands, who was lazy enough to put a bunch of toppings on a tortilla, toss it in the oven and eat it like a pizza? I call it "super thin crust pizza."

Zeek, Stone, anrkst6973 and 3 others like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ive done that its awesome!

My favorite thing on pizza is heating up a jar of Marmite in the microwave, and drizzling it all over the pizza. Esp good with a 5 cheese, pepperoni/bacon/salami/capicolla pizaa smothered with a ton of raw shredded garlic.

Stone, The Marsh Gorilla and Paycheck like this.
  6. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

No but I have used pitas like this a lot.

7. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

Yeah, kimchi. Pickled vegetables are great on pizza.
    Cabbage fermented with 3 other pizza toppings; chilli, garlic, and onions.
    Adds some spice and a bunch of vitamins, both things pizza usually lacks.
    Kimchi and melted cheese are already a thing, thats how Koreans eat kimchi ramyun.
    It's perfect, and makes way too much sense to not do. Its also great in grilled cheese sandwhiches, cheese steak, and mac n cheese.

Not to talk you out of suicide... just do it for other reasons. Eggplant reasons.

Pitta bread and ny style pizza dough are basically the same. Just prepared and cooked differently. You know those premade pizza shell things they sell in supermarkets? They're just big pitta breads but they weight down the center so it doesn't bubble. The recipe I'll post tomorrow was tweaked from some pitta bread I liked to make.

Just making pizza now so I have accompanying pictures.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Eggplants are weird, they are not an inherently pleasant vegetable (or fruit). But they are a great "flavor sponge". They are the stem cells of veggies, they take on flavors of whatever you cook around it. Season it right, and eggplants are amazing, leave it untreated, and they are bland fiber-y mush.

Stone, The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I think the moral of the thread is that a flat piece of bread makes just about anything taste good :D

Zeek, Stone and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Stone

Stone Member

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.

Time we, stop, children, what's that sound?
    Everybody look what's going down.

Pizza

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

Ok, sorry. I forgot my age. Didn't mean to bring the 60's into this. :confused: :oops:

So, let's ramp this f'k'r up a notch with some pizza music.

Now, somewhere during this video, I'll hit the hammock.

But tmw, I'll be back with the eggplant that ate Chicago.

12. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Never apologize. It's a sign of weakness. Nothing wrong with age. After all, youth is wasted on the young. :rolleyes:

The Marsh Gorilla and Stone like this.
  13. Stone

Stone Member

I was being rhetorical about my age.

The young must try to keep up. ;)

I was 18 when this happened. Carlos Santana.

But at 67, I still move faster than this.

It's all about the feeling.

Pizza pizza. :cool:

14. IW17

IW17 Member

Thin crust, pepperoni, ground beef, and jalapeño. Amazing. I might as well get stoned.

Stone likes this.
  15. CWB

CWB Member

The homemade bubbly crust is something I need to perfect. Capers and garlic really kick up any topping combo you come up with. Also feta cheese is a nice add on.

IW17, Stone, nathan shepherd and 2 others like this.
  16. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

There is a really good pizza place I go to in Detroit. It's run by a bunch of hipsters, but they make a damn good pizza. Their meat lovers is pretty awesome.

No pineapple on this guys pizza...

Stone likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

feta cheese is a must. Also black olives, green sicilian olives, garlic (raw and cooked)/

Stone and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  18. Stone

Stone Member

Well, believe it or not, I still have two slices of pizza left in the fridge. I've been parceling it out -- it's been a rare treat for me, so now that we've got a good shop, I'm savoring it. I ate a slice for lunch with eggs on top. Tomorrow, I break out the bacon for the last two slices. (It only keeps so long.)

But for tonight, I'm eating an open-faced meatball and mozzarella hoagie with homemade meatballs in red sauce made by my downstairs neighbor -- a 70 year old woman who has become like the older sister I never had -- and it is beyond awesome. I sliced the roll in half, then sauteed it in butter until browned, put the meatballs on it (leaving enough for another one tomorrow), and topped it with cheese, then back into the oven until melt factor 7 (Mr. Sulu).
    _______

This thread is a treasure of fine ideas. (No surprise on this forum.) I even get the idea of kimchi now, @ArguableLobster . I'm going to try it. I get it. I tried the closest thing I had today: some pepperocini. Added as a side to my slice, delicious. It really kicks the pizza.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  19. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

Pizza Dough Recipe:

This is my favorite kind of pizza crust, its thicker and bubbly like a neapolitan pizza, but the undercrust has a thin layer of crispness before the chewy.

-300 grams flour, roughly 2 slightly heaped cups. Half '00' flour if you can find it, but bread flour will be fine. all purpose can work, but I'll judge you.
    -8 Grams salt. If you're using table salt this will be 1tsp. If you're using fine koshur salt or sea salt, it will be slightly more. not a bid deal, just add a pinch. You can play around with salt amounts later if you want.
    -Yeast. 4 grams, 3/4th tsp
    -Olive oil. 1.5tsp. household ovens don't get hot enough, so we need to cook the pizza for longer. This will keep it from drying out too much.
    -Sugar. None, you kidding me Alton Brown?
    -Water. 1cup

[​IMG]
    Combine dry ingredients and mix, add wet ones. at first it will look like you messed up.

[​IMG]
    Keep smushing it around until you get all the dry flour. Should look like a terrible shaggy dough that you dont want to work with. Cover it and leave it for an hour.

[​IMG]
    It should have relaxed by now. Flour work surface and knead it for about 10 minutes or so. You should be able to stretch it thin enough to seethru without tearing.
    [​IMG]
    You should actually be able to see some shapes thru it, its just really hard to do and take a picture of with 1 hand.

[​IMG]
    It should feel smooth and pretty sexy. Divide into even halves place on a plate and cover it. Make sure you flower the plate a little to prevent sticking, and put a little flour on top. you can also oil it if you prefer.
    Place in fridge for 24 hours.

[​IMG]
    The fridge step is worth it. Cold temp makes it rise very slowly, it develops a nice yeasty flavor and softens itself up. If you cant wait, it'll take about 2 hours room temp and wont be as good.

[​IMG]
    Comes out looking like this. Flour your counter and turn them out. Let them warm up a bit while you get everything ready.

[​IMG]
    I only have the one stone, so I make on on a cast iron pan. its really just as good. Olive oil your pan lightly and place in your mostly spread dough into it. You can reshape and stretch a bit while its in the pan. If you like your pizza crust bubbly let it sit for 10-15 minutes in the pan.

[​IMG]
    I made bushman5's raw garlic pizza. Full head of raw garlic.

[​IMG]
    Assemble, and put on highest heat possible. Leave it on for a few minutes until you can hear a sizzle, and the edges of the pan are too hot to handle. Then throw it in an oven preheated to 500. Timing is kind of up to you, but after 8-10 minutes switch on the broiler until your cheese is browned. Then take it out and put it back on the stove.

[​IMG]
    until the bottom looks like this. and you're done.

[​IMG]
    Note: The charred blackness isn't real. It's dark brown and perfect. I've got LED bulbs in the kitchen and they're a little white. I tried turning HDR on my phone on and it went terribly wrong. As proof I present to you that my counter top is not beige in the other correctly colored pictures.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  20. Stone

Stone Member

I say again, this is the best forum on the IntraWebs. :confused: :oops: