German Files & A New Ultralight Machete

Discussion in 'Baryonyx Knife Co.' started by FortyTwoBlades, Oct 26, 2016.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

We just got in a shipment of some top-notch files from Friedrich Dick of Germany, which has been making files since 1778. "Farmer's Own" single-cut files with integral handles and their innovative "all purpose mini file" with the cut of a full sized file in a package about the size of a beefed-up needle file, with a coarse cut on one face and a fine one on the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also received what I consider to be the successor to the old Mora #333 insulation knife that we used to retune the edges on for use as an ultralight machete. Mora discontinued the model a couple of years back and the closest thing still on the market to it was the Svörd Kiwi Machete, which just isn't quite the same in the way it behaves. We've found this model by Friedrich Dick to perform very similarly to the old Mora model, and actually surpasses it in performance due to its more ergonomic handle and thicker spine with a full flat grind. Feels like a 4" knife in the hand, but is capable of easily slashing vegetation and light to medium chopping. It even comes in a fully serrated version if your intended targets are mostly grasses, weeds, and brambles or soft shoots like young sumacs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the old Mora #333:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wolfman Zack, Paycheck, JMJ and 3 others like this.
  2. ASH

ASH Member

I want them all, but dang I am broke.

One other thing that I have been wanting and am kind of surprised that you don't have is a froe.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

The big thing with froes is access to distribution. There aren't a lot of companies making them, and those that do aren't very widely distributed. Given that those companies mostly make full-blown logging items, there's not a lot of other items that I would be able to carry from those manufacturers, so there have just been higher priorities as far as opening distribution channels are concerned. I plan on eventually carrying the ones made right here in Maine by Peavey Mfg. but just haven't gotten around to it due to other projects. :)

4. ASH

ASH Member

Cool, I see a lot of new additions at your site that I want. Unfortunately I am spent out for the year. Got to pay property taxes.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  5. chorpie

chorpie Member

Froe:
    [​IMG]

Not to be confused with a fro (and Han Fro-lo):
    [​IMG]

JMJ and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  6. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

That mini file is something else. I might have to pick one of those up.

mtngoat and FortyTwoBlades like this.