ESEE Audit-- Need your feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaneadams90, Jan 23, 2023.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

My lips are sealed.....but all in good time.

Caleb O and Twiztedmind like this.
  2. Roadgunner007

Roadgunner007 Member

More options for left handed sheaths, it's always and extra step being a lefty to modify or find a lefty sheath for a knife often adding added money to the initial purchase.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  3. WCT

WCT Member

Couldn’t help but notice some strikingly similar verbiage on the Sencillo release. I’m not on the payroll but at least they’re reading (if not stealing) what customers are writing.

“We are often asked how ESEE comes up with our designs; to be honest, most knives (regardless of the hype associated with them) are just sharp edges with a handle attached. Some are big, some small, some light, some heavy, some pretty, some ugly but they should all perform one task well; they should cut.”

shaneadams90 likes this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

ESEE kickstarted my love for "decent" knives. I've always had an interest in them, but my first real knife was an ESEE and I owned every single one of the original lineup knives. With that said, I haven't bought an ESEE knife in a really long time.

When I was first getting into this, the ease of sharpening 1095 was a real shining diamond for me. But times have changed, sharpening products have changed and steels have changed. I absolutely see a value in keeping 1095 around (it's cheap, easy to work with and it does the job just fine) but I also see value in branching out.

I was on the Mystery Steel ESEE-4 passaround and I LOVED getting to try that classic -4 shape with different properties. I still haven't picked up an S35 model, but from what I understand they're kind of hard to find. I would love an easily accessible high-grade stainless knife from ESEE. It would likely be the last fixed blade I ever have to buy.

*EDIT* Nevermind, I've been living under a rock. S35VN -3's are in stock and available. Ignore me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  5. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Shane said everyone is raving about this Magic Cut BS. Wanted a knife in Magic Cut. Told him we would do a new knife but only if we produced part of the run in A2 or 1095. Been around for years. It works great. I have ZERO need or interest in super steels. None. I use tools. I sharpen tools. Many times I build my own tools. I don't care if tools like this get patina and rust on them. Use removes that. This is a cool little knife but nothing special about it. It's just another knife. We built it because folks say they wanted something new from ESEE. In all honesty, it doesn't fill any gap that other ESEE Knives already fill. The next offering coming up is a far better using design in my opinion. I gave Shane the prototype a few weeks back and the manufacturer has already sent him a production prototype of the knife. I think this one is going to be in 3V or some other steel I have no real interest in. But I do like the design a lot.

Adventurer, TerryD, WCT and 5 others like this.
  6. shaneadams90

Everything we currently make in S35vn is at the top of the chart in demand for our products. E3's maybe in stock but probably not for long. Izula in S35vn fly off the shelves as to the Xancudo and the E4s.

We have no plans to ever get away from 1095 and all these new products in super steels will go in the queue at Rowen so we have all of our knives offered in 1095 as well...but that will take time.

C99c, Adventurer, TerryD and 2 others like this.
  7. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Give me an ESEE 6 in thicker 1095 stock with a high saber grind and I would buy 2 of them!

8. Ramp1516

Ramp1516 Member

Keep doing:
    > Asking client base how to improve, listening to what they want, and making changes.
    > Youtube vids
    >Offering a broad range of knife sizes
    > Lifetime Warranty
    > Production & Design in USA
    > Swag

Areas of opportunity:

> Provide stainless options for all size knives ( for those of us who live near the coast & ocean)
    > Limited Edition Knives (unique designs, collaborations, art on blade, etc)
    > Multiple scale style options ( i.e thinner, thicker, longer, texturing)
    > Specialized knives/Blades – Fillet, Shuckers, Picks, Diver, Hatchets, Tomahawk, etc
    > Updates on what’s new at ESEE – ( production, mgt changes, etc) - Customers like to be in the know
    > Early announcements on what ESEE will be coming out with down the road –this gets customer base excited & something to look forward to.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    Twiztedmind likes this.
  9. shaneadams90

Appreciate the feedback... we recently did a podcast with Patrick and Jeff and I always like to do a "State of the Union" on the front end for what's going on with production and the company.. Good suggestions and we appreciate it.

C99c and TerryD like this.
  10. WCT

WCT Member

I completely agree with this sentiment, and I appreciate that the head of a company would express it.

I understand you guys are responding to market forces. And much of that force is driven by rich guys who need the newest and best of whatever they’re into. Just look at all the fashion pickup trucks out there that have never hauled a damn thing. And they have enough cash to burn to make their imprint unignorable. But you have at least one customer who prefers 1095, and where stainless is applicable, would be just as happy (and significantly happier from the perspective of my bank account), to have 440 options instead of s35vn or whatever the newest thing is.

And to that point (and I’ll avoid getting political and just say it like it is - not looking for an argument or to start a debate about economics),
    many of us have watched cost of living explode, while our wages have stagnated. Most people’s paychecks don’t go as far as they did even a couple years ago. I beg all the powers that be at Esee to remember that much of your customer base are just regular working fellas, with families and ever-increasing grocery bills, who want to be able to buy a new knife for fun. Life isn't always great and hobbies are a nice distraction. As a company you have to do what you have to do for your employees and your bottom line, but many of us can’t (or in my case won’t) indulge the price tag that comes with these high end steels.

Respectfully,
    WCT

Emac, C99c, Twiztedmind and 3 others like this.
  11. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Funny thing is most knife buyers could not tell the difference between 440c and S35v if it wasn’t engraved on the blade. Sadly, as I have said before, this industry as well as many others is 90% bullshit.

DirtySouth, Strigidae, Emac and 6 others like this.
  12. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

I’m glad you guys are still sticking with 1095. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that steel. It’s cut more things and has been used in more war zones for at least a century. These new “super steels” can’t say that.

C99c and Jtallen83 like this.
  13. erik

erik Member

personally, I think 1084, 80CrV2 (Admiral 1080+) and AEB-L are as close to perfect as I need a knife steel to be.
    1095CV is a close second.

p.s. a 440C esee4 is in the car bag.

14. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

I love 1095. Has done everything I needed it to do, without fail.

I think the 6 is perfect as is. I have the older RAT 6. It's one of my favorite knives.

[​IMG]

C99c, TerryD and shaneadams90 like this.
  15. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

I have a 6 and use it quite often. It’s definitely one of my favorites but I think you couldn’t go wrong with a 6 that’s a little thicker stock with a high saber grind.

The Warrior and shaneadams90 like this.