ESEE Audit-- Need your feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaneadams90, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I am sure you Canadians may drink Fosters however I have not met anyone here in years that even remembers it. I was maybe 17 last time.

In all seriousness.... if the rabble.....errrr.... I mean fine folks at ESEE are going to turn their mind to something I want it to be a practical product and not expend precious time and capacity on "fluff" that has no practical purpose. ESEE is in the scheme of things relatively small (personnel wise - not just Jeff's stature) and as such capacity is always finite. A choice between fluff and training/knives/functional equipment is not a choice for me.

junglebum, ASH and Twoody88 like this.
  2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Some like patches to stick on the wall and some like ashs to stick in the safe ;);)

3. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

All BS aside I do agree with the if we can only have one avenue.. I'll take the function also

4. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Orrrr... you need to put in some OT and get us some patches too @Andy the Aussie :D

5. Skip808

Skip808 Member

So what I’m hearing is a patch and sticker design contest where the winner gets a liter of Fosters?

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Skip808

Skip808 Member

My entry: 58B549FB-50CB-43D5-9BCC-255F32FD2F63.jpeg

Bozho, shaneadams90 and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

a liter?

that's pretty big I guess

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Skip808 likes this.
  8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

You heard the Boss…get on it man! ;)

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. erik

erik Member

I'm out

Bushman5 and Skip808 like this.
  10. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Eww gross just let Andy keep the fosters well get ya a better prize

Bushman5 and Skip808 like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

JG5 style sculpted scales for the Izula!

Delkancott likes this.
  12. junglebum

junglebum Member

I honestly got introduced to esee through Jeff’s book adventure travel in the third world still one of my favorites, would love another book or even area specific books. Also with its history of use by professionals LEO military and SAR I would like a back up option designed as a secondary to my firearm something for my duty belt. I looked at the tertiary and it doesn’t really do it for me need something more akin to a fairbairn Sykes maybe not quite as long but designed with the same purpose I have a few ideas but this isnt a knife drawing contest. One thing that I have been studying a lot lately is Urban survival and fighting skills I find myself more and more coming to the realization that maybe escaping into the mountains won’t be possible or feasible.

shaneadams90 and Bushman5 like this.
  13. junglebum

junglebum Member

I honestly got introduced to esee through Jeff’s book adventure travel in the third world still one of my favorites, would love another book or even area specific books. Also with its history of use by professionals LEO military and SAR I would like a back up option designed as a secondary to my firearm something for my duty belt. I looked at the tertiary and it doesn’t really do it for me need something more akin to a fairbairn Sykes maybe not quite as long but designed with the same purpose I have a few ideas but this isnt a knife drawing contest. One thing that I have been studying a lot lately is Urban survival and fighting skills I find myself more and more coming to the realization that maybe escaping into the mountains won’t be possible or feasible. 134EF31A-9DED-49DD-80BB-44167803954F.jpeg

just some random ideas and ramblings

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    shaneadams90, Skip808 and Bushman5 like this.
  14. TerryD

TerryD Member

I had a thought this evening while playing with the fire pit.

I would very much like the Izula and Izula II in black oxide to have the 90° spine. It would be nice to have when carrying one as a EDC/Survival blade.

I'm not the biggest Izula fan out there. I like the Xancudo better but I've been carrying the 440C Izula I recently got from @Dagwood and I've become fond of it. But tonight I would have really liked to have had the 90° spine to use with my ferro rod around the fire pit.

Dagwood likes this.
  15. Viperhaze

Viperhaze Member

How about dlc coating? The stuff spyderco does is super durable and attractive. Much more lubricity than the powder coat. I’m sure it is quite a bit more expensive as well though. Keep up all the great work. Looking forward to everything ESEE in the future.

16. WCT

WCT Member

Shane,
    While I have several thoughts about what might be cool to see in terms of variations of existing knives… like a 1095 Xancudo with micarta scales… I understand there is another thread dedicated to wishes.

I appreciate you asking a series of questions like these, which is certainly one thing you guys are doing right.

In terms of what you’re missing - I would like to see some thinner stock knives. I’m sure that gets complicated with your warranty, but suffice to say, thinner knives cut better.

What you’re doing or have done wrong - I think enough people have chimed in on the cr 3.0 & new AGK. I don’t have anything to add, and I think you’ve covered it enough. For what it’s worth, the delay led me to purchase a 1095 AGK, and I’m happy with it as is, which leads me to what are you doing right..

I think Esee’s devotion to 1095 is a good thing. These are sharp pieces of metal on a stick, and while certainly a lot of thought and dedication goes into these designs, it does us all well to remember what the simple purpose of these tools are: they just cut stuff.

I see a huge push from consumers toward fancier steels, longer edge retention, and more innovation put towards what is likely man’s most ancient manufactured tool. I imagine the pressure is hard to resist, and I respect Esee’s drive to stick with 1095 as much as possible, and not completely cave into this consumer-driven boutique knife market. I do have and appreciate the quality of two of your s35 knives. This is not a knock on those, so much as an appreciation for what is tried and true.

Some people have criticized Esee by saying nothing new is coming out, but at a certain point not every business can satisfy the whims of every glutton, nor should they. As far as I’m concerned, for all your offerings, of which I own and enjoy many, the 1095 Esee 3 has really never been surpassed in terms of versatility and function, so for me you guys have been in the black since day one.

I have a friend who is a donut connoisseur. When he travels to a new town, he finds a local donut shop, goes in and asks, “May I please have your best donut?” He takes whatever they give him, and he says lots of places offer him some unique flavor with crazy toppings, and they are often good… but when he poses that question is sold a plain glazed donut, he knows he’s found a great place. He said “I want to go to the shop that can stand on the quality of their glazed donut.” That’s how I feel Esee is with 1095 (and of course for me, the 3 is the glazed donut of Esees).

What I like about the ethos of this company is, at least from my perspective, you keep it grounded. You help to remind us to get outside and make some memories that show in the patina and scuffs of a blade that ages right alongside us. I can’t say if that’s the best thing for your bottom line, but I appreciate it.

Best,
    WCT

Delkancott, Bushman5, Frigin and 2 others like this.
  17. C99c

C99c Member

I say up the price of every knife and start offering a "spa" service. Owners can mail their knives back, ESEE hires a local kid to actually use that knife for a couple days and return it dirty, dull and looking like a tool should. And if the kid loses it fishing in the Coosa, is confiscated by LEO or misplaced in the woods doing cool stuff then the owners just gets a nice letter back explaining that the knife was better off lost than returned.

Also, do you know how many CR2.5s with longer handles you could make out of one Junglas? Just an observation...

18. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

For me my requests are simple. An ESEE 6+. Don’t change a thing except for thickness maybe .21 and add a high saber grind. Something in between the 5 and the 6. Something similar to the HEST. I gave mine to my daughter before I realized Rowen no longer produces them. The HEST was one of my all time favorites! 3-4” edc built like a tank. Let’s be honest most people don’t carry their ESEE 5 or 6 daily so your best survival knife is the one you have on you. The HEST fit in my pocket and was unbreakable. I pried open my front door once with mine when I locked myself out. If the HEST was all I had on me in a bad situation I would be ok with that. Backpacks please! Please bring back your pack! Or a backpack! As far as production issues I would much rather wait for a knife that’s made well than rush and get one that might have not gotten as much attention to detail. Not saying ESEE would do that but the old saying goes you can’t rush perfection. One thing I’ve always liked about ESEE is the fact you all take so long to introduce a new product until it’s been tested thoroughly. It shows you all care about the end product over making money. New coatings would be nice maybe a cerakote or pvd or something similar. A custom shop or “knife builder” if you will. Match these scales with this color of blade but I understand that would be a massive undertaking. On some models I just don’t care for the scales and blade colors match up. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice to choose. I guess that’s it for me. If I had to choose between any of my suggestions definitely a thicker 6 with a high saber grind! Thanks for asking your customers for feedback. It goes to show you all really care about your customers!

19. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

We appreciate the feedback. At this very moment we have a number of projects in the works that I think many will be happy about but we still have some work to do. The last 3 years have really showed us where we can be better and forced us to really look at what we do. We are working hard to be better and to continue to build on the legacy that this company was founded on.

Thanks for the feedback.

Caleb O and Twiztedmind like this.
  20. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Any hints????