Bulgarian Adventures

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bozho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Bozho

Bozho Member

Some random river and food shots :)

IMG_20230610_152312.jpg IMG_20230610_152417.jpg IMG_20230610_211059.jpg IMG_20230610_211231.jpg IMG_20230607_191845.jpg IMG_20230607_132627.jpg IMG_20230607_133534.jpg

Datilite, Bushman5, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Member

Always a treat to see your posts man. Glad to learn you are well. Thank you for sharing your adventures, it sure is a fascinating place you live. What was the meal you had by the river? looks delicious.

Bushman5 and Bozho like this.
  3. Bozho

Bozho Member

Thank you, sir!

It is a fish soup, called "Salamura", traditional for the Danube region of the country. It is tomato based, quite spicy and has a few different kinds of river fish, depending on what they've caught that day - usually catfish and carp. I also had grilled catfish, the wife had fried and they were both amazing. It's European catfish, I think the ones you have in the States are a different species? These can grow more than 2 meters in length, in fact recently some guys in Italy have caught one that is 2.85 m long and is probably an all time record, but they didn't weighted it, as it couldn't be done without hurting it.

Bushman5 and Sean like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Member

Thanks for sharing. Like the idea of eating local. The local cuisine is really interesting. I like the meals, soups and stews and such you show. Kind of seems as ancient as the landscape and history of the country/region you live in. Stay well man.

Bushman5 and Bozho like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

if you ever get a chance to travel to Canada , I’m begging you to come the Fraser Valley in BC

In the Fraser River are monster freshwater sturgeon fish. Some get to be 20’ plus

It’s a catch , document, release fishery though

IMG_1068.jpeg IMG_1067.jpeg IMG_1070.jpeg IMG_1071.jpeg IMG_1072.jpeg IMG_1069.jpeg IMG_1065.jpeg IMG_1066.jpeg

6. Bozho

Bozho Member

Majestic fishes! I would love to visit that place! Some species also inhabit the Danube, in fact the ship restaurant offered two of them, but I didn't knew what to expect, so I left tasting them for the next time. In the past they have caught Huso Huso, that's the latin name, don't know what exact type of Sturgeon it is in English, over 500 kg :eek:
    They used something called "karmak" which is very thick line, or wire, with tens huge hooks on it, the fish gets caught in that and there's no escaping. It's forbidden now, but the river is still full of the old ones and there have been people caught and drowned...
    I would love to fish one of theses beasts one day and will definitely release it, such a dinosaur species deserves to live.

The Marsh Gorilla, Sean and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Bozho

Bozho Member

Speaking of Sturgeon - here's one from a museum we visited today - that's the Huso Huso.

IMG_20230617_140330.jpg

It was the size of a small boat!

And a baby white Alligator Gar

IMG_20230617_140853.jpg

8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

We see alligator gar all the time. Huge ancient creatures as big as those sturgeon. Hard to catch and vicious fighting if you do.

9. Bozho

Bozho Member

We don't have them here, so I've only seen them on the River Monsters until yesterday :D Awesome fish!

The Marsh Gorilla and Sean like this.
  10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

IMG_1221.jpeg
    I’ve seen these all my life. They were endangered for a period of time. Our photo history has images of some even bigger than this.

IMG_1220.png
    despite their toothy appearance they are not much of a danger to humans. A walk along a gravel shoreline can garner you a mesh bag full of gar teeth. We would always do this on river trips in my younger years.

IMG_1222.png
    But I guarantee you, if you are drifting in a 12 feet long plastic kayak and this turns on the surface next to you at arms length…you will definitely consider how minuscule and unimpressive you are in the scheme of things!

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Freaking insane to think that both sturgeon and Gar are prehistoric fish that have been around for thousands of years :eek:

12. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I caught some huge ones when I worked for the state fisheries office. All my work was in salt/lower brackish water. An 8ft+ gator gar gets in the gillnet and that sampling set us next to ruined. We eventually learned to ease them out the net without getting their head tangled.

Zeek, Bushman5 and Bozho like this.
  13. Bozho

Bozho Member

Were they delicious :D

Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I’ve never eaten it. We were able to release the ones at work.

Bozho, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  15. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

The only way I have been able to stomach gar was pickled. They would rip us off when I fished the Missouri as a kid, snag fish off the stringer and sometimes right off your hook. I didn't appreciate the sport as a kid, tackle was expensive and they wasted it! Now the Sturgeon out of that river were some of the tastiest freshwater fish I have ever had.

16. Sean

Sean Member

Holy,Moly!!! I knew if it was over your head there were monsters in it!!! I ain't never going in the water again!!!

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I always had a feeling they’d be stronger tasting, gator gar smell absolutely horrible when you pull them out the water. I’ve never had sturgeon before.

18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Southern Gar is only really good when fresh and hot. When I was younger the kin would chop or grind it, mix in tons of hooya hot red spices, vinegar, buttermilk, corn meal, bread crumbs, eggs for glue, ball it up like big hush puppies and fry it.
    You ate it burn the skin off the roof of your mouth hot. If you let it get cold it tastes like greasy dirt. ;)

19. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Hot enough to kill your taste buds huh?

Bozho, anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Precisely! :D

Bushman5, Bozho and The Marsh Gorilla like this.