your soldiers and our soldiers are suffering........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

just curious..... if there was a retreat/camp with animals trained available to soldiers, leo, swat, fire etc, would you utilise it?

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

There is a program here called Dogs for Diggers that provides trained dogs for service members suffering physical or mantal disabilities. Lots of the pups are in fact trained in a gaol (jail) here by inmates and then there is a handover ceremony when the pup ends up with it's new best friend.

JMJ likes this.
  4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I know there are camps that do Equine therapy but i don't know of any other animal specific camps...

There are similar programs in the US for service dogs not only PTS service dogs but at least a couple of different service types (I believe Deaf, Blind, PTS and medical alert) I actually saw a program on i believe the 60 Minutes TV show about these types of programs. IMO it is a GREAT way for the incarcerated to give back to society and i am sure it also benefits those who do the initial training..

5. Joelski

Joelski Member

Dogs fish a soul out of some pretty dark places. It is not easy to be mad at life when a creature gives its love without any conditions, no expectations, or disappointments, only pure joy. To see that something has that for you makes life bearable for all but the most un-salvageable souls. With the exception of parents, there is that feeling that no matter how deep love is between two humans, there is always a price, or an ultimatum and that doesn't exist with dogs. There is no other such creature that God (Or the flying spaghetti monster or whoever you believe in) put here that can bridge that gap.

Bushman5, Reno Lewis and JMJ like this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I have had the opportunity to work with some of those dark dark dark souls and I agree that dogs are one of those few things that can reach those folks.... I have not seen this state side but overseas I have seen ALOT of chaplains that will go EVeRYWHERE with their dogs! HELL I've seen chaplains take their dogs place introduce the dog and not say another word as the eyes and Mood and reactions of the people present just changes for the better!

I will tell you from personal experience that dogs have help my soul! I use to borrow and babysit MWD when they came into my work... Don't get me wrong MWD handlers LOVE their dogs BUT sometimes they do need a break. Due to Health and safety regulations there are places like the dining facility that they can't go... After months in the field (farther down range) these guy would want nothing more then to get a good long hot shower and be able to sit down in the dinning facility and enjoy a decent meal... Problem... NO dogs allowed... SO out of love and loyalty their handlers would pass up the opportunity... So i GLADLY would assist them by baby sitting :) ( I'll have to see if I can find any photos)