Writer questions "the 10 essentials"

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Bushman5, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. TerryD

TerryD Member

People have a hard time understanding that one study doesn't make scientific proof. Especially when compared to years of compiled evidence from professionals in the field.

Twoody88, Bushman5 and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I carry a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) connected to the CDN Forces monitoring center. I've never needed it. I hope I never need it. But I still carry it. Just like waterproof matches/tinder, shelter, food, signalling kit etc etc

I think the blogger of the original article is a super ultra lite backpacker gram counting weenie who is trying to justify not carrying the essentials because he doesn't use them.

4. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Bro don’t you know that those skinny jeans don’t fit when they start carrying what you or I would call an average load of gear. Them noodle leg boys don’t wanna gain any mass lol.

5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Some people seem to write articles (or blog) simply to create controversy, rather than actually present an argument as to why their point has merit.
    A known personality could way easier afford the best and most ultralight gear than the average Joe. As well as being..ahem “famous” maybe those SAR fee’s are less than discouraging if they do need them.
    The mere mortals among us must simply abide, and do the best we can with what the internet can give us.
    A basic but comprehensive 3 day kit is mine. Less than 15lbs total but it includes your 10 plus some fun.
    The only thing I don’t have is the SPOT. Which by choice I neither want nor need.
    Just an observation. ;)

6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

The blog ended with this quote: “Always carry a cell phone,” ....which I find humorous.

In the last few years we have had to rescue NUMEROUS people that had working cellphones on them...some of which we actually made contact with them and TOLD THEM TO STAY PUT-- WE HAD THEIR LOCATION and they STILL MOVED from the location we told them to stay at and wait for teams to arrive. In other cases, there is NO cell phone signal in MANY of the locations we respond to.

In some instances people have had GPS but no knowledge on how to use them or the ability to navigate menus to the simply provide their UTM coordinates.

You can carry the HOUSE in your backpack. Have and possess all the tools and carry them with you, but if you don't have the knowledge, skills, and training to use them then it's all just dead weight.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ exactly

in BC, pretty much as soon as your away from towns and cities, there is ZERO cell service. Even in areas that have cell service, it disappears the moment you dip below the mountain peaks

8. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

How are you going to take selfies for your blog with no cellphone ... duhh

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

In reality.. even with all these people geared to the teeth.. it wouldn't do many of them a lick without basic LIFE skills (wich most people lack now anyways).

Frigin and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

The part about " a heavy load will just hurt you so pack lighter" Sounds about right with today's societys mentality

Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  11. matthew

matthew Member

The blog writer interviewed hikers on Mount Monadnock in NH, regarded as one of the easiest mountains to climb in NH, and attracting day hikers from all over either little to no hiking experience. It’s like asking people strolling through Central Park about what items they packed for their walk.

12. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

The next line should’ve realistically been “and don’t worry, someone will come along and save you”

13. Frigin

Frigin Member

I hike monadnock all you need is a bottle of water and a coat …..no need for anything else there lol it’s not a hard hike at all.

TerryD and matthew like this.
  14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

these quotes right here point directly to 99% of the problems.
    Even on a nice walk around a state park lake trail, a mere 45 minutes from the pavement edge...IF an emergency occurs it’s going to take a minimum of the same amount of time for emergency services (911 called) to get to the situation.
    A person fallen into very cold water, going into hypothermia-
    slipped and broke a bone non compound and is going into shock.-
    deep cut with continuous bleeding, even slow bleeding, in the 30 minutes it’s gone from a minor situation to a life threatening one.
    #1 is the total lack of mentally having the fortitude to handle even the simplest of issues.
    #2 is simply refusing to learn said skills because..
    #3 if I call someone will come and rescue me.