Would you rather?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Expat, Feb 12, 2017.

?

Would you rather...

1. Pay $200 for a usa made folder

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Pay $50 for a Taiwanese made folder

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Nether

Nether Member

This knife below cost me equivalent of 35USD.

I wouldn't say its as good as a 200USD US made knife. But it's not that far off either. It's pretty slick, flips very well and has a very good blade grind. It's also well balanced. And uses the same Sandvik (14C28N) steel Kershaw uses on some of their American made knives. The only difference between this and a US made, 200.00 knife, is the US one would most likely have Ti frame, more precise centering ( above knife is a touch off center) and some overly hyped up "premium steel" to help justify the price tag. I also believe the US made knife would incorporate a higher grade ball bearing system. But it would be negligible difference, in real world use.

[​IMG]

My (budget line) WE knife, cost equivalent of 122USD, made in China ( tho doesn't say anywhere that I can find). Fit and finish easily on par with my 400.00 US Made Guardian Tactical Helix. In fact, all around workmanship/quality/FnF/balance/usability on the WE is 5 stars excellent. The Helix is just good-pretty good. Helix is the most expensive folder I currently own, atm. I will also say, my Chris Reeve Sebenza Insingo was never all it was hyped up to be. I lost interest in it long ago. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a solid, well made knife. Just no where near the level of hype people bestow it. I had it for a few years, it never got all that smooth and the lock bar wore down from 30% to 90% FAST.

This is not a "China is now better than US" crap. I'm giving an unbiased & honest account of my personal experience. I don't give a sh¡t where something is made. I care about how well something is made, and how nice it feels in hand. And of course, affordability.

Expat likes this.
  2. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

She was smoking hot in the 90s. If there are any good pics on that CD insert please post them!!!

3. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Nether brings up a good company that does, sort of, fit what we are discussing, and that is Kershaw/Zero Tolerance. In fact, the Kershaw version of my ZT 0566BW is the Kershaw 1566BW. The ZT made here and the Kershaw made over there. I am guessing that they don't want people being able to make direct comparisons so the ZT is Elmax, while the Kershaw is not, and the scales are different. I like both.

If you want people to pay more and buy the one made in the U.S.A., then you can follow their lead and release an American version that has better steel and better fit and finish. That way you get something is at least marginally better in the American one.

4. Zeek

Zeek Member

I work for a global company. We have many manufacturing sites. Several in North America... many in Asia. I interact daily with people in Asia and have visited their manufacturing locations. For me, making a comparison based upon a hourly labor rate doesn't even begin to tell the story. I see a much higher percentage of re-work and a lot of extra cost associate with quality related problems coming out of Asia.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Theodore likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

In giving more thought to this id buy a 200$ knife from Jeff or Expat even though there was a comparable alternative for cheaper. Knowing well or in expats case knowing the associate of works in their favor.

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  6. Slade

Slade Member

But what if expats profit is the same from either? Maybe the $50 options costs him less effort to boot.

7. Strigidae

Then i buy 200$ worth of 50$ knives?

Slade and Zeek like this.
  8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I like this answer the best!

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I'll just wait until Mike frustrates another rustophobe into a fire sale, and buy a $200 ESEE for $50.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

11. IW17

IW17 Member

Theodore likes this.
  12. Theodore

Theodore Member

Just type bag, then rub all over and leave it all day into the search engine of your choice. Cross your fingers and roll the dice........

Zeek likes this.
  13. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

So when is the Expat folder coming out? I'm assuming after you figure out this whole Taiwan/USA thing?

14. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I think I've figured it out. Although it appears as if some of you won't be buying them. That's ok.

Strig said he'll buy 4 of them.

Strigidae likes this.
  15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I only voted for what I'd prefer. I'll buy your **** regardless of what Hobo makes it.

Strigidae likes this.
  16. Strigidae

I'm hoping the expat folder also has a high quality double blade cigar cutter. Wine corkscrew would be nice too.

17. Nether

Nether Member

I believe the Expat knife will be digital. The knife itself, holographic. However, it will utilize a laser for actual cutting tasks. It's. That. Freak'n. Amazing.

Strigidae likes this.
  18. Strigidae

That would light my cigar too!! Damn that expat thinks of everything!!!

Nether likes this.
  19. Nether

Nether Member

I didn't mention he best part. It also has an integrated rape whistle.

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  20. Theodore

Theodore Member

Who is going to teach the sheep to use it?