What knife magazines do you guys get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Whittington, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

We are thinking about putting an ad in a magazine. Just curious if any of you guys or girls subscribe to any knife magazines or have other magazine suggestions you think we should be in?

2. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I get blade magazine, usually has some good articles in it

3. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Not a knife mag subscriber.

I get Garden & Gun and QRZ. That's about it.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I pick up Tactical Knives and Backwoodsmag every now and again.

Stormstaff likes this.
  5. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

Not entirely familiar with US environment and consumer trends but on a global basis (being someone that spent past 10 years in marketing as well) I can tell you that you should rather use that money for online ads - say google ad words, there's no way you can beat the reach/trackability/customisation( use of negative words or location variations) with printed ads, even if you will print your ads in 50 major magazines.

The best thing to do would be to divide your marketing budget into local/global - local - just enough to get your company being noticed - billboards, signs that kind of stuff.
    Global - I can tell you right now that a proper person with 200$ spent on online ads can bring you $1k in sales easily, you just need a proper person or get yourself trained in adwords and paid ads(facebook might be good too, I'm not using it but many knife nuts do).

6. Theo

Theo Member

I subscribe to Blade magazine and pick up the Backwoodsman in the store most of the time.

7. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

None, I get all my knife info on here and Facebook.

mil spec likes this.
  8. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

None of my knives are magazine fed, so I get it all on the internets!:)

9. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Off Grid, Backwoodsman, American Survival Guide, New Pioneer.

Used to get Tactical Knives and Knives Illustrated. Since I was working at a knife/preparedness store, the others were to keep track of what was being said out there.

I am sure that I am not the norm, but I seldom, very seldom, click on those infernal popup ads and the crap that google keeps trying to attract my attention with. I absolutely hate getting ads that relate to whatever it is I clicked on or searched for.

I was visiting friends in Nigeria a few years back, and when you went to the markets you never paid any attention to an item unless you wanted to see a whole bunch of similar items. The retailer at whose shop you looked at the item would drag in similar stuff from other shops if you did not seem to be ready to buy his stuff. They seemed to work together to make a sale one way or another. So, unless you wanted to be shown 20 of something, you didn't show undue interest in anything.

10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I pretty much stopped buying about any magazine 10yrs ago. There is just too much false direction/information in most that is designed to appease advertisers/sponsors etc. Gun magazines are THE WORST in my experience but I also suspect knife publications and SOME outdoors magazines are the same. When I was in the retail firearms trade (back in the early 90s and late 80s) I heard it from the horses mouth - importer tells us what to stock over the next month as he has slung Nick Harvey (an Australian version Jim Zumbo etc) $500 (two weeks of my salary at the time) to write an article on why EVERYONE needs a Brno .22Hornet (as they had a bunch and they were not selling) sure enough a month later out comes the story about how the Hornet is a must have in the well rounded hunting armoury blah blah blah..... I was SHOCKED at just how many people swallowed the bait !!! But I ended up selling them the same rifle (Brno Fox) that was being pushed in Hornet, chambered for .222 or .223 that was a far better choice for each and every buyer !

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  11. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Zero. I'll occasionally peruse a catalog if it's mailed to me, but it's pretty much online exclusively.

12. C99c

C99c Member

The only magazines I ever look at involving knives (when waiting for my daughter to finish picking out her usual wheel barrow load of new books) are Backwoodsman due to the cool stories and info and Backpacker.

Sometime I'll flip through one of the Recoil titles to see what shiny new tactical crap people are wasting their money on.

What about Field and Stream or Outdoor Life? Those seem like they would be a better use of ad money due to a wider audience, although I admittedly haven't read either in over ten years.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that so many titles have survived this long.

13. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Printed magazines are lame. They are generally filled with ads and favorable reviews of sponsored products.

14. Grog

Grog Member

I don't like any of them enough to subscribe. Knives Illustrated has an absolutely fantastic article by Reuben using the HM ESEE models in their November issue, I would subscribe in an instant if that was the way the rags are heading but usually it's a picture of some douchebag getting pictures of himself holding a knife in a tacticlol stance. Maybe they'll get a favorable enough response to pursue a line of review similar to the HM article. Blade seems more focused on art knives and 'tactical' fluff.

15. Grog

Grog Member

I think Backwoodsman would be the place to take a flyer on advertisement if you wanted to go that route.

16. mil spec

mil spec Member

No knife magazines here. In fact I have let the magazine subscriptions go for everything. I do get American Rifleman and Trout because of membership.

17. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Only magazines I subscribed to are American Handgunner and Men's Health. I pick up a Knives Illustrated every now and then.

18. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I occasionally re-sub to Blade or Knives Illustrated from time to time just for giggles. Most of it is such obviously sponsored stuff that it's not of much interest to me. I prefer those few sources online that offer a combination of experience and honesty in reviews.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  19. Outlander

Outlander Member

Tactical Knives magazine went under close to 3 years now.

It was the only one I bought.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  20. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Only magazine I get is Backpacker. Was able to get an annual subscription for $4 or $5 dollars an usually page through it when it comes.