The Sharpening Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevo, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Kevo likes this.
  2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

It's S35VN.

Yeah, wondering if I just don't need way more than the 10 or so passes on each side that is suggested.

Kevo likes this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

mtngoat likes this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo Member

Oh yeah that'll definitely be the case.

So, there's a few ways to go in your situation. The easy one would be to send it in to CRK for their folding knife spa treatment. Looks like it only costs postage for that.

The next would be the "imma do this myself" route. You can get that bad boy back to sharp on the sharpmaker, but it'll involve some elbow grease. Stick to the 40 degree side of the jig. All of Chris' knives are ground between 18-20 each side, so the narrower 30 inclusive side won't help you much at all.

What I used to do with mine was stick to one side and work that side of the bevel back and forth, keeping contact with the rod until I get my burr formation on the opposite side. Once I have the burr, I do the same on the opposite side to create a burr. Then it's alternating to remove the burr and straighten out the edge. Move on up to your fine ceramic rods and polish from there until you are satisfied with the sharpness.

Or just send it out :p

I can try to put together a video if you think it'll help your odds of success. I don't have any s35vn, but I have an s30v blade that should be a similar frustration lol.

5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Good to know that it just takes time. The spa service is a wonderful thing to have available, but I've heard it can take a month or so before your knife is back. Great if you want to sell, or your handle needs refinished, or parts replaced, etc....but for just sharpening I'd rather be able to take care of it myself. I'll give your method a try when I've got some time and see how it goes. :)

Kevo likes this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

7. Kevo

Kevo Member

Squirrel hunting this weekend means the hunting knife needs a little prep work. Here's a couple of before shots.
    20180912_180340.jpg 20180912_180408.jpg
    I'm almost a little ashamed that I have a couple small nicks in the blade there lol.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Kevo

Kevo Member

After a little rough work on the 1k the edge is looking nice and hazy.
    20180912_181437.jpg

Then went to the 8k to polish it up. I didn't go crazy for a mirror edge, but ended up getting a nice light haze instead.
    20180912_183308.jpg
    20180912_183518.jpg

9. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Naniwa and a strop :)

Most the time I can keep my knives sharp just by stropping after use.

10. Kevo

Kevo Member

@Flex which Naniwas you using? I have one of their older superstone line stones in 400 and it's one of my favorites.

BTW I still need to get my hands on one of your strops. Eventually it'll happen haha

Flex and Strigidae like this.
  11. Kevo

Kevo Member

So anybody on here still use arkansas stones? How about oil stones in general?

12. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I've got some local black siltstone that puts a heck of an edge on simple low-alloy steels. They're basically razor hone/surgical instrument grade. I mostly use synthetics, though, as they're a much more appropriate choice in most situations.

Kevo likes this.
  13. Kevo

Kevo Member

@FortyTwoBlades I'm not surprised by your choice with the synthetics. Same as how @Flex uses nothing but strops lol.

Personally, I love my arkies. It's probably more along the lines of nostalgia than anything else. Nowadays they have a more limited use with all the modern steels, but in that window of what they do well, I wouldn't take anything else. Shaptons and diamonds get the rest of my knives. For razor honing, I've actually taken to 3M lapping film.

14. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

S2 super stone (I think).
    In 400, 800 and 1000 grit

Zeek and Kevo like this.
  15. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

For traditional steels I long used some form of el cheapo corborundum stone for setting a bevel and soft/hard Arkansas stones thereafter.

For about the past year I haven't used anything less than about a 320 grit and I'm enjoying the edges I've been getting. Just used one of 42blade's sapphire stones on one of my wife's super dull kitchen knives and in no time had a super aggressive sharp cutter.

I"m seeing less need all the time for the type of finishing a blade like I used to do.

16. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Beat up 110 for my neighbor. Used the Edge Pro Professional up to 600 grit and then a 6k Chosera stone was used to put a 2* higher micro bevel before a bare leather strop.

5B701906-64DB-4079-9ED2-A869E8E19E3F.jpeg CB53630E-BF6C-4214-B6F0-095F3F295D80.jpeg

17. Kevo

Kevo Member

Great looking work! The 110 is such an iconic blade.

18. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Thanks. I freehanded for so many years and then I had people asking me for specific angles so I went with the guided system.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Kevo like this.
  19. Kevo

Kevo Member

Got an interesting one coming my way this week. Either tomorrow or the day after I'll be trying my hand at sharpening a guillotine style paper cutter. Should have some fun challenges to it to work out.

20. Kevo

Kevo Member

I've got a hankering, and it's for some chosera stones. I might have to send some stuff away to fund purchasing some more rocks.