Swift Water Rescue Training with helicopter in WV

Discussion in 'Search, Rescue and Technical Skills' started by DiscoveryLover, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

I thought I would share this article and video.
    Yikes!

"On June 11th, the West Virginia National Guard practiced rescuing mock victims out of fast moving river winding through the rolling hills of Appalachia. The harrowing training involves nerves of steel by the skilled helo pilots, and in video captured by reddit user M109A6Guy, the UH-60 Blackhawk skirts just above the churning waters as one guardsman scoops his target to safety."

https://taskandpurpose.com/west-virginia-national-guard-video/

RedEyedHog, Strigidae and SEMO like this.
  2. kreeves

kreeves Moderator Staff Member

wow, that is crazy...... That is a good way to crash a 20 Million dollar helicopter!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    DiscoveryLover likes this.
  3. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

Amazing!
    I had an uncle (Kermit Smith) die during a swift water rescue in 1973 in Ohio. He was a volunteer firefighter who was in a boat that turned over while attempting to rescue two boys.
    It's my understanding that some of the swift water training the Ohio firefighters now do was developed in part because of his death.

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Another day at the office for those guys. No doubt the pilots have trained with 160th. I had the opportunity to fly with some Colombian 160th trained pilots in Colombia and those guys are pretty amazing when it comes to their piloting skills.

Strigidae and DiscoveryLover like this.