Subaru Forester Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delkancott, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Hello,

I have the option to purchase a 2006 Subaru Forester with only 62k on it. It was always a second car/beach vehicle and rarely driven in winter. I'm told it has no defrost working and no AC. Is this something common? Is there anything specific to be aware of with a Subaru of this age? I have no real knowledge of them except that routine maintenance is paramount for timing chains, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

We’ve got a 2017 with over 120k miles on it.

Only real issue is one I haven’t yet addressed, and that is that it has started using oil.

Definitely not leaking, but using for sure.

3. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

My daily driver is a 1995 Legacy, 210K, very well maintained prior to me. No hot rod- gutless in fact- but it’ll go at least another 100k. If they have maintenance records I bet you’ll get 300k out of it. Great cars.

4. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

The girlfriend had some issues with the factory brakes and rotors in hers (2012 model I think). Otherwise it's been pretty solid as far as I know.

I've "heard" head gaskets can be an issue, due to the boxer engine design .... But I know several people that own or have owned Subaru vehicles and have never had any issues with that.