Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Wisdom, May 20, 2023.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’ve been using straight razors for a couple of years. I’m finally getting the hang of it! I’ve been shaving my head a couple times a week exclusively with a straight razor and edging my beard. I’ve got a half dozen old razors, but these are my main shaving razors. The Boker carbon fiber is by far my favorite, it “cuts like a razor”. The other is a naked armor and Gransfor. I love all things sharp so this was a natural evolution for me. Anyone else using a straight razor? If so what kind of soap/razor? 0B53F078-5DEE-418C-85B5-5E6C946F24AF.jpeg

Strigidae and Jtallen83 like this.
  2. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I like to shave with a straight razor. Usually only once or twice a week due to time constraints. Other days I shave with an old double edge safety razor. I mainly use a feather replaceable blade straight razor, although I also have two vintage razors. I typically use the Proraso red tub soap.

3. otis

otis Member

almost never shave anymore, but when i do, i use a cheap double edge safety razor with wilkinson sword blades. have an old vintage straight razor somewhere, i've used twice, lost about a ½" patch of skin on my first try.

Wisdom likes this.
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I have felt your pain!

otis likes this.
  5. jeeter

jeeter Member

I have two Bokers, a King Cutter and a Celebrated, and a vintage straight razor. It takes a bit of practice to not cut yourself, but definitely gives a closer shave. For soap I'm a fan of Col. Conk's Bay Rum or Amber.

6. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I have a couple of Dubl Ducks, one of which was my great grandfather's, along with a couple of others. Mostly 5/8 size. I save straight razors for times when I'm not rushed and can enjoy myself for a really great shave taking my time.

Most of the time, the Merkur HD with a Feather DE blade gets the nod.

Badger brush, a variety of soaps, and some Edwin Jagger sandalwood cream, along with the required Pinaud aftershave.