Steak at Home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slade, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

I owe a response or 2 to this thread but like others got distracted. I have been experimenting with different ways of doing this but they have been failures. During that time I did discover a Jamaican Jerk Salmon recipe that is unreal stupid good. I will have to get that one on here soon!

Slade and Zeek like this.
  2. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

That´delicious. And I´m here, drinking albumen...

3. artigas

artigas Member

Little evening grilling for steak salads. It was very tender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-Bone, Bushman5, Dagwood and 4 others like this.
  4. Slade

Slade Member

Heck that looks so good I'd eat it even with the salad.

artigas and Zeek like this.
  5. vBlake

vBlake Member

Nice cook you did on them beauties! Was that a reverse sear method? if not your results are impressive. Its been too long since I got all steaky... Its coming, and you ain't helping!

@Slade the Charcoal reverse sear is going to be coming soon...

Zeek likes this.
  6. artigas

artigas Member

Thank you. I just did a standard method of searing. I had half the grill on high, and the other half on medium. I seared them for 30 seconds on both sides, then moved them over to the medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side.

I think it was mostly luck haha.

Zeek likes this.
  7. vBlake

vBlake Member

IMG_7770.JPG

Salt brine and reverse seared porter house!!

Well I wanted a filet (for my lovely bride) and a ribeye for myself but for some reason Kroger was out of filet!!! WTF Kroger!!! So I opted for this behemoth porter house so my wife could have her filet...

IMG_7717.JPG
    I did her steak regular, just seasoning of garlic powder, Cavendars Greek seasoning, and McCormicks Montreal Steak seasoning.

But we are not here for that soooo... on to the salt brine method.

As you can see I spilled waaaay to much Course Ground Kosher Salt all over my steak. This does look ridiculous however just trust me! Cover both sides heavily with salt just as I did.

IMG_7719.JPG IMG_7721.JPG

Let the steak rest on the counter for 32minutes. (This is for a steak that is 1-1.25 in thick) the rule of thumb is about 15 minutes per 1/2 inch. The ambient temp does have a huge factor in this rule. The hotter it is, the shorter amount of time it takes. For instance if salted and placed in the refrigerator it may take 2 hours to brine. If the steak is outside in the summer it may only take 10 minutes per 1/2 inch.

What this does is initially draws moisture out, which interns melts the salt and flows back into the meat. This helps tenderize the steak also adds flavor to the inside.

IMG_7730.JPG IMG_7732.JPG

Once 32 minutes was up, I took the steak and rinsed all the salt off, then patted dry...

IMG_7734.JPG IMG_7735.JPG IMG_7736.JPG

T-Bone, Theodore, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  8. vBlake

vBlake Member

Now for the rest of the seasoning. Remember at this point your steak has only been salted. If you add anything else, make sure you watch the salt. I typically only add garlic powder, pepper, maybe a little onion powder, and a very tiny bit of Montreal Steak seasoning. I love the flavors it adds.

IMG_7738.JPG IMG_7739.JPG IMG_7742.JPG

While the steaks are brining I go ahead and set my Webber Kettle up in what I consider an "extreme two zone fire". I really pile the briquettes up on the side and throw in some hickory pieces. (If split with a Gransfors Bruk SFA, the steak will taste 100% better)

I add my awesome Grill Grates to one side, oil them and let it get hot!!!! These things are amazing check them out.

IMG_7723.JPG IMG_7725.JPG IMG_7727.JPG IMG_7746.JPG IMG_7747.JPG IMG_7751.JPG

T-Bone, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  9. vBlake

vBlake Member

I place my strip on the cooler side as far away from the heat as possible. I let it rip until it reaches an internal temp of 113*

IMG_7754.JPG IMG_7753.JPG IMG_7759.JPG IMG_7757.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG IMG_7765.JPG

I like to sear it off once it reaches 113* and sear until an internal if 132-140 is reached. Remember it will rise another 5 degrees or so as it rests, once taken off the grill.

Here are some pics showing my wife's steak cooking fast but the cool side is a nice slower temp rise.

The grill is more than a a cooker it's a flavor inducer and the longer that meat can be in a smoke rich environment the better your steak will taste. So if I'm able to keep my steak on there catching smoke and slowly cooking I will! Also with larger charcoal grills (barrel smokers) this is a whole lot easier as you can get your steak far away from the heat. However a Kettle grill can make it happen as well!

Once I start to sear the steak I tend to like the hot side around 650 or higher. Put the steaks on the grates at a 45* and sear for 1.5-2 minutes then turn 45 degrees and cook another 1.5-2 minutes. Flip for another 1.5-2 minutes. Check the internal temp and pull at your liking.

Next I take it off once a good internal temp is reached, top with a few pads of butter, cover and let rest 5-10 minutes. 132* is my go to temp. Seems a little low for Medium but it all works out after the rest.

IMG_7767.JPG

Plate and prepare yourself for one truly amazing experience! Let me know what you think!!

IMG_7769.JPG

Attached Files:

T-Bone, Theodore, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I do believe i'm going to drag out the TemboTusk Skottle this weekend, and drive the Jeep into the woods somewhere and cook me a steak. (can't BBQ, grill or smoke meats at the Apt....wood framed building , strata fire bylaws etc. )

Zeek, Slade and vBlake like this.
  11. vBlake

vBlake Member

image.jpg
    Got some ribeyes about to go down!

Theodore, Slade and Zeek like this.
  12. Zeek

Zeek Member

Boy... I can't wait till the snow is gone. I'm gonna fire the grill bitch up !!!

Theodore and vBlake like this.
  13. Zeek

Zeek Member

There she is... isn't she beautiful?
    tmp_10335-20150823_131506-1361538858.jpg

Slade and vBlake like this.
  14. vBlake

vBlake Member

Yes sir!! She'll cook!

Zeek likes this.
  15. vBlake

vBlake Member

IMG_7823.JPG IMG_7831.JPG IMG_7825.JPG IMG_7840.JPG

Ribeyes low and slow! One of my favorite methods... no grill marks nothing fancy just fantastic steaks.

Montreal steak seasoning
    Cavendars
    Tony's

Zeek likes this.
  16. Zeek

Zeek Member

Strigidae and vBlake like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you cant grill in that weather? up here in Canada we grill year round. Snow dont stop us from drinking and grilling!:p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  18. vBlake

vBlake Member

Haha!! Why, thank you! My belly is full of steak, potatoes, sister Schubert rolls and Buffalo Trace Bourbon.... :cool:

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  19. vBlake

vBlake Member

Happy Father's Day to me!
    IMG_8454.JPG
    IMG_8455.JPG

T-Bone, OKcherokee, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member

Why did you cut the bone off prior to cooking?

vBlake likes this.