Slade's (un-named) Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Benson X, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Benson X

Benson X Member

While @Slade is still working out the name for his new venture, I wanted to share my experience with him and his sharpening service/skills.

I sent him a user BK2 with a compound bevel grind that needed touching-up and a factory sharp BK24. Both of these knives are to be given as a Christmas gift to my brother, so I wanted to make sure they were ready for use. Ehran asked me what specifics I wanted for the sharpening on each, and provided his experience and opinion with sharpening each knife. After explaining the purpose and intended (expected) use for each, he had a good plan to get them both in prime working order.

He gave the BK2 a 21 DPS convex grind and tried to match the previous bevel on the primary grind as best he could. He brought it back to a hair-popping edge, restored the tip to a nice sharp point and gave the edge a nice mirror polish.
    [​IMG]

He took the BK24 to a thinner 17.5 DPS bevel, which is a little bit wider at the tip, and makes an already great blade shape even more functional and slicier. He gave it the same finishing treatment and polished it to a mirror edge. He was not kidding when he told me "scary sharp" - it truly is razor sharp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The return shipping was VERY secure (and fast); both knives enveloped with thick cardboard sheaths, each tightly wrapped in their own plastic bag, and secured/sandwiched between two thicker pieces of cardboard and taped-up before being placed in a padded USPS envelope.

All in all, it was a great experience all-around and I will definitely be sending him more knives in the future, esp. since I am not that experienced with sharpening and have limited resources. :oops:

Thanks again @Slade - I have no doubt that you'll have much success with your business, but hopefully this will help spread the word! :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Dagwood, Grog, Bushman5 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Slade

Slade Member

Glad to hear they were well received. I appreciate the time you took on the write up. May they serve you well. Theres nothing more for me to say. You covered it all. :)

Bushman5 and Benson X like this.
  3. Grog

Grog Member

I've had my mitts on quite a few of Ehran's knives whether we're buying, selling, trading, or just passing good cutlery back and forth and all I can say is that dude knows how to put an edge on. I sent him a Busse Battle Grade ASH-1 with the typical brick-like edge they come with on top of an already thick blade and he sent that thing back back with an absolutely ridiculous edge on it.

mwramos76 likes this.