Rules to Survive by

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by BlueDogScout, Jun 29, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

hello, I think this is the right place to put it, if not please let me know and we can move it. First off, I am wanting to keep this post serious. I am all for laughing and joking around and being silly but I want to keep it legit on this thread. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. There are many rules to surviving, and Bush craft that all of us know and understand. However, there are plenty of new people to the hobby, or people that just have never heard of these things or know what they mean. Sometimes people may know what the rules are but I do not know how to properly follow them to ensure survivability. Furthermore, people might not know the intent behind a rule which is far more important than knowing the rule. Since this forum is supposed to be a record of knowledge, I thought it would be nice to create a thread Where these rules (concepts or little bits of sage wisdom) can be listed, discussed, and explained to help new people to the hobby. My inspiration for this comes from the major storm system that blew through southern Illinois last night. I didn’t get to go to summer camp with my scout troop this week because I used up too much vacation time with doctors. Anyway, I digress, last night in the storm a tree fell on one of the boys tent. Thankfully they were all at the mess hall and no one was injured. The only fatality was his cot. So this brings to mind the 5 Ws for campsite selection from Les Stroud. (If someone did it first let me know) This is something I practice on every outing, when I told my fellow assistant scout masters (I’m new to this troop) that’s one of the 5 Ws they asked me what that was. These are seasoned scouters and campers and they never heard of it. Thus my inspiration this morning.

mtngoat, Jeff Randall and Strigidae like this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Les Stroud’s 5Ws of campsite placement;

1) Wood- for shelter and for fire. Is there enough wood to last your stay without having to wander farm from camp.

2) Weather- where will wind or rak. Or snow come from. Helps with how to build your shelter.

3) Wildlife- insects are a pain, look out for ant hills. Beware snakes and bears they bite. What season is it? Mommas always protect their young

4) Water- is water near by for purification and bathing. Are you far enough away to not contaminate or in case of flash floods.

5) Widow-makers- watch out for the things that can fall on you while asleep...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Dave Canterbury’s 10 Cs of survivability

1) Cover- a tarp or even your clothing to save you from the elements and create a micro climate to maintain your core body temperature.

2) Combustion- anything from a fresnel Lena’s to a Ferro rod to flint and steel to a lighter to a bow drill anything to make fire. Fire cooks, purifies water, helps with core body temp and can keep predators at bay.

3) Container- Should be metal so you can use on an open fire. Can be a pot or canteen or bottle. Used for cooking, water purification or gathering food.

4) Cordage- bank line, paracord, natural or even made in the Bush. Cordage is good for making shelters, making traps, fishing, tripods, first aid. The limits of the survival usage knows no bounds and is only limited by your imagination

5) Cutting tool- The knife, axe, saw, machete or cleaver. Food processing, wood processing, wood crafting, hunting and self protecting. Truly a versatile and important tool to carry and maintain.

6) Cargo Tape- gorilla tape or duct tape or the tape of your choice. Used for gear repair, first aid, shelter construction. Cordage once processed. Once again uses only limited by your imagination.

7) Compass- obvious use in the woods, just remember two concepts. One, one is none and two is one. Two, of you need one you need a pair and if you need a pair you need a spare. It is also of note that compasses are not infallible having two can verify that they are functioning correctly.

8) Canvas Needle- used for repair of gear, first aid, woodcrafting, fishing, etc...

9) Cotton Bandanna- can be used for char cloth for firemaking, first aid as a TQ or sling, can be worn for heat (soaked with water) and sun protection, worn for cold weather protection, signaling, once again multi purpose item that is limited to your imagination.

10) Candling Device- literally a candle (multipurpose) or a candle lantern (ECO or one like Kephart that folds) or a flashlight. Anything that helps you see around in the dark to prevent injury around camp. The flashlight or head lamp is a single purpose item and a candle has many from lighting to fire or if it’s beeswax can be used in first aid, gear repair or waterproofing.

4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Another one from Dave Canterbury, the 5 tool rule...

So this is less about survival and it’s more about keeping your kit small and light weight. To me I love gear and trying to keep a kit small and lightweight is difficult. Redundancy can be helpful but sometimes it’s overkill. To me a small every day kit for in the woods is important. The 5 tool rule is simple carry 5 tools, swap them out as needed for your needs but always stay at 5. For me in the Midwest I carry;

1) SAK Farmer
    2) CR 2.5
    3) PR 4
    5) Bahco Laplander
    6) Velvicut Hatchet

(The ESEE carving axe will be added if it ever comes out)

This kit is for good and wood processing. Simple but good for keeping things basic. You might need pliers or a folding shovel or whatever but make the tools durable and multipurpose.

Shepherd and Strigidae like this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Member

The most underrated "survival situation" is the one successfully avoided through preparedness and accurate risk assessment. Much like self-defense scenarios that never actually happen due to good situational awareness, these "success stories" don't tend to make for good reading, but happen all the time nonetheless. My goal is to hopefully never have a survival story on my resumé.

Not sure if that qualifies as a "rule" but I think it's worth mentioning.

Garrett83, Wisdom, Not Sure and 3 others like this.
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Exactly and the preparedness to me is 99% knowledge so that was my goal here thank you for posting!

Garrett83 and Strigidae like this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

This is what happened at scout camp;

Kid is lucky they were in the mess hall

621180B3-DEA6-4512-AD4D-E11D85FAC392.jpeg 812BCE09-C631-46F3-B3AE-563EEB5C016F.jpeg 5FDC887C-AECF-45D7-9497-CF69ADDA9C58.jpeg 05E01B2B-C94B-4354-97B9-60DB5322F749.jpeg 03389524-4DCA-4E7B-A127-45120080FFA3.jpeg DF167C53-E3E5-4FB8-B60F-2F61B0047FBD.jpeg 0A1FEBB4-F162-49AE-B8C5-ED5E39807838.jpeg 37AEC13C-7696-4A31-BFB3-D4F8C09695D7.jpeg 89CE96DB-0DB9-4046-B1FD-4FC4AC55E950.jpeg 963AEC12-B19B-4C83-9E61-B7602F452615.jpeg

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Survivalism is more for marketing than anything else. Most folks are never out of earshot of other humans. Those who do traverse unknown land tend to have the mindset and preparation to deal with their terrain. I always chuckle when I hear the term survival knife, or survival tool.
    Software always trumps hardware. James Gibson in a speedo with a pair of nail clippers would trump my skills with a full load out! With all that said, experience is the most important tool. Knowledge comes first, but you have to apply the knowledge over and over. Many have the knowledge of how to make a bow drill, few can get an ember.

Not Sure, Strigidae and BlueDogScout like this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

Wasn't sure where to put this. ;). I'm one who doesn't leave the house without a "kit" of some kind, edc, Bob, daypack, truck kits, we all have them right? So today I was putting things in my hunting pack. It's the small assault pack that mounts outside on the Marine ILBE. Well beyond ammo, and a fairly comprehensive game cleaning kit, I always have some food. At least enough for a day or two.
    This year it's going like this. Those white pods on the left are pre measured coffee in standard filters tied shut with paper wrap bread wires. You can get single use packs but this is easier and cheaper.
    Next to the coffee is 2- 1/4 cup servings of mixed nuts mixed with some no sugar added tropical trail mix (dried fruit)
    The fruit bar is an all natural type that is 2 servings of just fruit.
    I always have those cup o soup envelopes because hot food make you feel good.
    There's cookies if you need to need to fire the internal engines like "right now"!
    And it all fits in a submersible survivable plastic box not much bigger than a field plants manual.
    There's a quart of water in my pack, 5 gallons on my truck which is less than a hour away from the further most point on my lease.
    So what's y'alls goodies? What do you like to have in the stand or blind?

STPNWLF and BlueDogScout like this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Very nice and the perfect place to post it! Interested to see if others have similar. I like the single use coffee idea!

11. junglebum

junglebum Member

White sap = Dirt Nap.... something I would tell people when I did a little survival instruction in Taiwan... as it pertains to vines for water and edible plants

BlueDogScout likes this.
  12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

There are trees near here that are an invasive species that they call the tree of god. The white sap if able to get in your blood stream will give you heart failure. So I would say you have a good rule lol

junglebum likes this.