Rucking For Exercise and Stress Management

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Yes, it seems that one exercise does not translate well to another exercise. If you're having trouble getting up to speed on running you might try the "none to run" program. It's a very logical way to build your running legs. I have my own translation of the program: I do about 10 miles a week with a 30 pound pack. I jog about half of that and mix it up with a fast walk. I've found my goal for hiking training / exercise is to maintain a 15 minute mile pace with a 30 pound pack for about 3 miles. I'm usually toast after doing 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 30 pound pack around the farm but once you go back to a normal 2-2.5 mph hiking pace with a 30-40 pound pack, or simply doing a run without a pack, it seems pretty easy. Main thing I've found is do not train every day. Get on an every other day program and you're less likely to cause injury.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Strigidae and martin_j001 like this.
  2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Rucking, or carrying a heavy load (my 38lb daughter in an 8lb pack) is my favorite form of exercise--whether on streets around my neighborhood or out in the woods. Allows me to be outdoors, and do what a big dude should be able to do best--carry heavy things over distance.

CCMI likes this.
  3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

Just my $0.02; ymmv:

Plenty of info on while we all need the outdoors; physical health, mental health...
    https://www.businessinsider.com/why-spending-more-time-outside-is-healthy-2017-7

Back when I used to run a fair amount for training, we were always urged to run on natural surfaces to protect the joints and strengthen the ligaments. Being older now, walking (rapid) is safer for the joints but still gets the job done.

Rucking is really another form of weight-training, and that strengthens the bones in the torso and legs.

4. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Interesting Jeff, I might load a pack with some weight and leave it in the truck to try this out.

5. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Hauling weight in a pack, for distance and time, is a great workout. Works ones core and lower back, legs, feet, shoulders, and neck muscles.
    I have found that it is important to keep the weight properly centered or neck readjustments are necessary. Especially the older I get.
    In the last three years I have logged over 1000 miles with a #30 plus pack in training.
    It calms my mind when I get under the load, focus on breathing, count steps for time and distance, and add a #60 sandbag ever so often.

Training the mind to accept the uncomfortable, and training the muscles to adapt to the uncomfortable make us stronger both physically and mentally.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I agree....when i use to race bikes (pedal), both road, time trial, and down mountains, I trained with a heavy 50LB (sandbags in the panniers) bike. Then race day switching to a sub 20 lb bike was amazing.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore Member

I frequently train for goruck events so I ruck 40-45# regularly. I think it is a great way to train!

RickLB, DYSPHORIC JOY and Strigidae like this.
  8. RickLB

RickLB Member

I’ve got a new ruck and need to start jumping it more.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  9. Blood Groove

Blood Groove Member

https://bataanmarch.com/

I would like to attend the Bataan Death March Memorial in April 2022. Gives me some time to train up with a Ruck.

10. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I go out 4-5days a week after work. Unfortunately it’s in the neighborhood but I got my old north face pack loaded with 30 pounds of gravel and go for 2 mile fast walks. Not the speed walking thing with swinging hips. Just a fast pace walk. Includes some uphill some down hill and a little off pavement. It’s really helped hunting at altitude, at least for the first 2 miles...

RickLB likes this.