Polishing a bolt questions.

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by junglebum, Oct 3, 2020.

1. junglebum

junglebum Member

So I have A Ruger American Ranch in .450 bushmaster That’s my hunting rifle, have plans on turning it into a little more of a scout rifle set up. Was Originally going to get a savage 110 or Ruger scout . But I picked the rifle up for like $250 brand new and really like the idea of the .450 kind of reminds me of a modern frontiersman gun like a modern Hawkin, big bore short barrel capable to 300 yards ( I don’t shoot long range most shots I take are under 100 yards) . I wanna modify it new stock that takes AR or AI mags, and smooth out the cycling. MY QUESTION is has anyone polished out their bolt and what and how don’t wanna screw anything up but really wanna attempt it myself.

2. ASH

ASH Member

I wouldn't get too carried away. Just lightly hit the high spots and bearing surfaces. Look for the areas actually making contact anywhere that has any scratches or rub marks. Do the same for the receiver. Don't make it too slick. Leaving it with more of a brushed finish will reduce the surface area making contact and help hold oil. I believe that is the purpose of jeweled finish on bolts, it's just a fancier way of doing it.

Most of the drag is going to come from the cartridges, from the spring tention forcing the cartridge into the bottom side of the bolt and feeding the cartridges.

junglebum likes this.
  3. junglebum

junglebum Member

The bolt from the factory definitely has a lot of tool marks and makes a zipper sound when chambering a cartridge..... I wasn’t planning on a mirror polish or jeweling just want to smooth it enough to eliminate the sound..... wasn’t sure if I should use glitz or lapping compound or even some 800 grit sand paper new to gunsmithing