Once again, Nem is scooped

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Expat, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Here's a forecast update from my associate about Matthew.

"The big news is the huge change in the expected track of Matthew after Friday since the models are now tending to agree that after passing by Florida and the Carolinas it’ll move out to sea southeast of Cape Hatteras and then either stall off the Carolinas or move to the east just north of Bermuda as we go through the weekend. In fact, one model is taking it on a big loop around to the south again and back to near the Florida coast during next week though that’s seems hard to believe right now. The major reason for the big switch is the formation of TS Nicole yesterday to the northeast of Puerto Rico which is expected to slow down the forward progress of Matthew and help block it from moving further north when the cold front (blue line) that’s now crossing the Mississippi Valley reaches the east coast by Saturday night and pushes all the tropical systems well out to sea as the big high pressure ridge over the East collapses."

2. jeeter

jeeter Member

Ice free in 4-6 years?o_O

3. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I want to chime in here with a question. Nem, do you, (or anyone else who may have a kifaru woobie, for that fact) have issues with them breathing? Maybe its me but I can barely get through a night with mine. It just doesn't seem to breathe well and I wake up soaked in sweat. At first I just assumed I was going through manopause and having hot flashes but I think it's actually due to the water resistant nature of the outer shell. Regardless, it's left me curious to know if others experience the same thing.

Stone likes this.
  4. Dougmau

Dougmau Member

It's just a Hurricane? We have party when they come.

JMJ likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

Ice free at the end of summer. That's the current projection. The trend is clear.

It'll freeze back in winter, at least for a while. But that ice will only be one year thick. No perrenial ice, so it'll break up easier the following summer.

Then there's the issue of heat of fusion. Right now, all the excess heat in the ocean up there is going toward melting ice, which requires vastly more energy than heating water. As the ice melts, the heat goes into heating the water, so everything speeds up.

6. Stone

Stone Member

Wilas, yes, me too. It's bothersome. That's the only thing I don't like about it.

7. wilas101

wilas101 Member

that's good to know. Misery loves company and all. :)