Nice review

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Jeff Randall, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

2. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Awesome review.

Not sure how you would make the coating better?

3. Slade

Slade Member

Nice honest review. I think the author would love a 4HM uncoated with a nice heavy patina on it.

While I agree in theory that an equal knife may be available for less, maybe even made in the USA, it wouldn't come with the same warranty and getting the right batch of a knife capable of being an equal would be a gamble not worth the savings in my opinion. QC is a factor.

Tyler and Zeek like this.
  4. nofuss

nofuss Member

Full-scaled (TKC, LMF), the 4 is a controlled beast - you need no other knife.

Slade likes this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

Slade likes this.
  6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Anyone else think those are two separate knives pictured? The first one looks like it had black coating. The second one is clearly a desert tan coating. Look at the hilt area of the two knives, the area least likely to wear out.

Also, the middle screw is missing in the first one, but present in the second one.

mmbackpacker and Slade like this.
  7. Slade

Slade Member

8. Slade

Slade Member

I don't think his pictures are in chronological order. Current condition comes before 1 month of use. He also titles the same picture differently in the two articles. First article calls it after 1 month of use, and the second article calls it after sharpening with river stones for a week but its the same picture.

C99c likes this.
  9. C99c

C99c Member

Thr guy also mentions in the original link that he sometimes spray paints the blade before going into the field.

In a couple of the photos you can see some black on top of tan.

JMJ and Slade like this.
  10. artigas

artigas Member

The 4 was my first ESEE, and it really is a phenomenal all-around knife. Great article.

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Long live the esee 4. :)

Great honest article.

ChristopherRC likes this.
  12. Ramon

Ramon Member

I actually contacted you guys a while back about sourcing ESEE 5's to replace once issued Striders. We needed a thick, prybar "tool" that would pull double duty as a knife and rescue tool (cut in or out of aircraft, vehicles, etc). I'm still trying to work the issue but my plan was to buy the 5 for this purpose. I think it's a good fit for what we need

Slade likes this.
  13. Theodore

Theodore Member

Has anyone done a documented long term test? I do not mean like random pictures and posts in threads of the same knife, but a real photo documented "heavy use" long term testing on an Esee? Say something like one year of daily wear and use as well as daily documented "hard use"?

Zeek likes this.
  14. Ramon

Ramon Member

I haven't seen anything. I think for us, we were looking at the blade thickness and our potential uses for it. Like I said, we were previously issued Striders, for the same reasons. Hard use, thick, "sharpened prybar" type of tool. We need to be able to get in and out of aircraft or vehicles, in low-vis settings. So, a "knife" in a go bag or something like that, is easier to deal with than a crash axe or a hooligan tool. It's a last resort option and most countries don't consider it a weapon, so you won't get hemmed up carrying a knife for defensive use as well.
    I have access to lots of cars/SUV's that I can beat to all hell. We've done some testing with a couple of Striders and they're nice but I like the size and profile of the ESEE 5, as well as the bushcraft use, should we find ourselves in an E&E situation as well. I may have to just pony up and buy one myself and run it through some of these vehicles since we're having an issue with ordering them (not ESEE's fault).

Zeek likes this.
  15. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

I think that's a great Review. I think his take on it was honest. I prefer the knife after the coating has worn down, or been stripped in the case of the LS and the 5 anyway. I dunno about the pics. I prefer esee because it's simple, works every time and there isn't a better knife for the money. Same reason I prefer Kai shun in the kitchen.
    I wish I could afford $300.00-500.00 knives but f***it probably wouldn't want to use them. It's a tool not a jewel as my wife says

Dagwood, Zeek and Slade like this.
  16. Joe Marino

Joe Marino Member

Respectfully, the author should not be so hung on rust or 1095. Everything comes with a coast. If it's not the price tag for a hybrid steel that is most likely harder to sharpen, then its the durability of your forgin made cheaper competitor. The rust is a cosmedic issue that is also a removably finish.

17. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Interesting article and a good honest review.

Some of the comments make me laugh though. This one is classic. Do you think he's from bushcraftusa.com ?

I don't know what the author's obsession with using the world "bolt" is but clearly he likes it... And there isn't a problem with the blade coating. The problem is with how he's using the knife. Knives are not meant to baton; they're meant to slice things, period! People that break their knives batoning do so because they're using their knife like an asshat! Why teach a technique that will almost always guarantee a broken knife!? If that's the only tool you have, your a damn moron to subject it to anything that could risk breaking it! I really get sick of reading articles where people complain about a knife because it doesn't withstand a clearly abusive task that the tool isn't even designed for! (Slaps forehead)....

Is this the same guy? The knife looks similar.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  18. Joe Marino

Joe Marino Member

Lets take another look at the word survival. When your looking at improvised methods of saving your life, if your knife is in better condition than you are then i would question the circumstance. Lets beat the hell out of our knives now so if we are in a real life situation we know its limitations.

nathan shepherd likes this.
  19. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Agreed. I've never even come close to breaking an Esee. It's fun see what they can take!