Need some help finding a good canteen. Water Setups!

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by BushcraftKilburn, Jan 5, 2019.

1. BushcraftKilburn

BushcraftKilburn Member

I'm looking for a good canteen that is NOT aluminum or plastic.

I am hoping to find something I can boil water in and can be carried relatively easy. It's harder than it sounds with plastic caps, corks, aluminum, etc etc.

So, let's see those WATER setups!

HelRaiser and Zeek like this.
  2. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

Pathfinder canteen kit, stainless steel and good quality at a quite reasonable price.
    I’ve been happy with mine.

Heavy Cover titanium kit is nice if you want to spend a little more and save on weight.

Zeek and IW17 like this.
  3. IW17

IW17 Member

Same as above. I like my kit.

Zeek likes this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Does it have to be a canteen or are you okay with bottle setups?

BushcraftKilburn likes this.
  5. erik

erik Member

LAPG had a bottle setup recently for about 1/2 the cost of the pathfinder rig.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

BlueDogScout likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

8. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I’ve carried a Heavy Cover set just about every time I’ve been outside since I got it 4 or so years ago. I had the mother carrier from Centerline, but passed it along. It’s great I just like to have a bit more room so I use a Fin Gas mask bag for a lot of my shorter hikes and when fishing.

[​IMG]

I wouldn’t know where to start if someone asked me how much coffee I’ve made in that cup.

Zeek and BlueDogScout like this.
  9. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

Here's a thread on what folks tend to use for water. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of fully stainless canteens. If you want a stainless bottle, there's tons of options. Of course there's Titanium stuff, but I've got no experience with it so I won't speak on it.

A while back I picked up the Pathfinder canteen set. Mainly because I wanted the accessories and the accessories alone were out of stock and patience isn't my strong suit.

Everything feels sturdy, but the cap feels pretty cheap. I'm also not impressed by how much tooling there is on the stuff. Does not looking pretty effect anything? Not really. Stuff you might want to know though before putting down money.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I used to run with my wwii canteens they are stainless. And bullet proof (almost) they were great and could go on a fire easy. They can still be found cheap and like new. The cap doesn’t come off complete (chain used for dummy cord) but that can be modded easy. The wwii canteen cup with t handle I like better than the butterfly handles. Again they are still everywhere. The pathfinder stove and lid should fit. I know when the canteen shop made them originally they did and rothco makes a lid and stove that nest and fit. I got away from canteens because I wanted to get away from reenacting. (It is an addiction and made me miserable.) my current kit is the stainless Nalgene (I did this over other because my MSR water filter threads to it) I also nest a titanium cup and several bowls. All nests in my mother with lots of other gear.

2D426674-B03C-4416-9E15-3E5051B922D8.jpeg

C00AD85B-6859-4CC3-BDA2-C9A3E2A34138.jpeg

C972DF98-7B55-428F-8DCE-DC63C67562D5.jpeg

FDE4F934-F4EC-4C61-9AA0-984B6AED49A5.jpeg

HelRaiser likes this.
  11. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

That sounds like a really good setup. @BlueDogScout

The upside to the Pathfinder cup is that to my knowledge it's taller than a standard GI cup. It fits into a modern MOLLE canteen carrier, but downside is you'll have some issues with older carriers. Is the added cup capacity worth the added price, provided you can find similar for cheaper in old surplus? That's up to you.

Personally, I carry a Pathfinder cup, stove, and lid, with a Nalgene Oasis. If I'm planning for boiling water, I'll additionally carry a Klean Canteen wide mouth 40oz and a stainless nesting cup.

Two containers mean I can carry in more water, plus have a canteen to drink out of and a seperate container to collect or treat water (or even just cook) without being kept from hydrating.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

You have some great points. Yea the added capacity is nice. Like I said I ran the canteens at first but got away and love it. I have a 3 liter bladder I carry in a pack for added water and if it was a super concern I have 2 2 liter MSR dromedary bags. So if I had too I can carry 2 gallons with my set up. My cook kit is designed to have the bottle, cut and biggest pot for cooking. The smaller one without handles is for baking by the fire. The bowls don’t have bales but the pot and cup do. I also just got the woodknot 750ml coffee order for a brew kit. Probably more than I need but it gives me great versatility.

Bushman5 and HelRaiser like this.