My First Post on ESEE!

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by The General, Feb 9, 2022.

1. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Member

You’re welcome!

Well, I’d be reluctant to use it for heavy prying or batoning, but for all typical knife duties, it has my full confidence. It has served me well opening packages, mail, cutting food, cutting plastic cable ties, cutting cardboard, casual whittling, etc.

I save the hard use work for fixed blades.

2. The General

The General Member

Amen, well said. Any concerns with this for emergency self defense? It is an issue I sometimes have to deal with so it is a priority for me.

3. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Member

An obligatory pic:

[​IMG]

I’ll also add: the chromium nitride coating on the blade is terrific! It’s very wear resistant. With a little oil, scratches/rub marks wipe right off and it looks like new again. I should do it again soon by the looks of it. :)

4. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Member

Hopefully it’s never needed, but I would be confident with the Bugout in an emergency self defence situation.

Now, I will say that I can deploy my PM2 faster due to the large thumb hole and loose pivot, but I think with a little practice one could get pretty quick with the Bugout, as well.

5. The General

The General Member

Sweet! It's looking like this is the one for my needs. Is yours the S30V version?

- SpyderMan - likes this.
  6. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Member

Yes, it is.

The model is: BM535GRY-1

The General likes this.
  7. The General

The General Member

Sold. Found a shop locally to pick one up. :)

Now I need to mull over this Junglas vs machete option, and my knife/tool search may rest. lol

8. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Member

Terrific! Let us know your thoughts when you get it in-hand.

9. The General

The General Member

Will do!

And meant to add my thoughts on the 5 after owning the 3 and the 4 for anyone else in the same position. For woods tasks, I've found it does everything, and honestly much better than I thought. I grab my 3 now because I like the feel of it, but I'm honestly enjoying using the 5, even for basic camp cooking. I know that the weight would probably be the biggest deal breaker for the 5, but I've actually found that it stabilizes the knife making it easier to do all tasks including more detailed work. I do little work outs so I can use my tools more effectively, and the 5 only helps in this regard haha.

The 5 has now become my go to as it does everything I need when I need it, I never have to worry about breaking it, and the weight isn't too bad if it's strapped to my leg. Great job @Mike Perrin @Patrick Rollins @Jeff Randall as you have become examples for me. You design tools that get the job done no matter what, and I will always appreciate that. Please don't ever change that as it's made me a customer and fan for life.

sv4 and - SpyderMan - like this.
  10. sv4

sv4 Member

I find my Bugout great for city carry. Have the 535-GRY1 version in S30V too. It’s very lightweight and pocket carries well. I’ve used it for general utility carry but not food prep or self defense (hopefully never ever have to), but I wouldn’t use it for heavy duty applications. I think you would like it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  11. sv4

sv4 Member

:):):)
    Yes, the chromium nitride coating is bulletproof, haha. At first it marked up, but then I found it was actually the residue of material being cut. Wiped right off

- SpyderMan - and The General like this.
  12. sv4

sv4 Member

:D:p :p:p
    I have looked at the 5 at the shop but haven't owned one yet. My largest ESEE so far is the 3hm. Now you are making me think about getting a 5.. :)

The General likes this.
  13. The General

The General Member

Haha well now you all know how I feel lol.

I'd say hold/use it for a period of time to be sure it's a good fit; I would honestly say it's probably too heavy for most, but I don't mind heavy if it's my main tool for almost everything daily. I will say the 3 is the perfect compliment.

Did some more testing with it breaking down wood for a BBQ today and it was splitting 5"-6" logs with one good baton hit; consistently. The 5 is definitely a keeper for someone who doesn't like axes or hatchets.

sv4 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

There's something satisfying about the weight of the 5. I feel like everyone needs to try one out. It's a no nonsense tool that feels very significant when using. Like you know nothing will kill it. Pretty fun.

15. The General

The General Member

There definitely is. The weight almost make it feel like the knife does the task for you which I like from an energy conservation standpoint. Seems counterintuitive because of the weight, but it forces me to slow down and focus. This is always a good thing.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.