Knife For A Soldier/LEO/BorderPatrol/EMT/SWAT/SAR contest - EDIT: CANCELLED!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'm pretty well known. My intentions here are Honorable. I have references in BC Canada. How would you advise I go thru with this. I don't want every jack off on the internet to apply with a id scanned from google images. I want the real deal to apply. I am not posting the applicants info here...it is strictly held on my mainframe computer which is NOT connected to the web.

thoughts? (and are you entering? :cool: )

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

whatever man, we don't judge here.....you like that kink, we support your kink.

:p:D:cool::p:D:cool:;):):cool::p:D

3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I need Jelly Belly's now. Thanks a lot!

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

You could ask for a redacted version of their ERB matched with an ID, or their ID next to something (like a monitor showing the ESEE forum behind their ID).

I agree, not a lot of guys are going to ask their CO or even a Team Leader to write up a memo proving they are who they are. Even less CO's would actually do it.

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

contest updated to include SAR TECHS and FireFighters

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thanks both of you...i honestly had no idea that providing certification was an issue.......

7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I mean, in the civilian world it probably won't be an issue. I just can't imagine ever walking up to my old company commander in the Army and asking him for a memo stating I fell under his command. He'd laugh me out of his office lol.

LEO/FF probably have to do that quite often though. So I think verification will all have to depend on who you're dealing with and what brand of service they're in.

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea but how the hell does one verify it?

I mean i could post a pic of me in full battle rattle and state that I was Expat's go to sniper guy.....

know what i mean.....?

It must be a Canadian thing, we are just used to verifying who we are by getting our employer to send a letterhead out...

Bcamos likes this.
  9. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

This is absolutely bad ass man.

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

For anyone in the US military, you can ask for a redacted copy of their ERB (This is their monthly pay stub and used to verify enlistment ) with a matching ID. If someone has both of those, they're legit unless they're REALLY good at photo editing.

Theodore likes this.
  11. Theodore

Theodore Member

I know two losers who faked the funk and re entered the army as patched rangers. They did not make it long once they got to there unit. They had all the proper paperwork.

12. Neilsen

Neilsen Member

I had signed up for Oakleys uniform program a few years ago. Had to send a scan of my ems ID card. My management would never have given me a letter

13. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

This is a neat idea.

Bushman5 likes this.
  14. indulf

indulf Member

FF/EMT here but I already have a ton of knives. great idea, and i'll pass it along to the guys at my dept!

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

On Behalf Of A Esee Brother: (name redacted / locale withheld)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a local police officer, I typically use my knife for fairly mundane tasks. You know, things like cutting open envelopes, cutting loose threads off my uniform, trimming down the adhesive back binding on well used-up note pads (I'm anal like that), slicing photos of a coworker from newspaper clippings to make collages to harass said coworker who had the unfortunate luck of making the paper, cutting off a small amount of drugs for a field test kit, etc. There are precious few officers who appreciate a good knife and we usually show them off to each other if we get something new. The majority of officers on my department seem to carry the $15 Super-Tactical-SWAT-Ninja knives and use them as screw drivers, lock picks, vehicle panel prybars, etc.

In my 10 years on the job, the only time I can remember really NEEDING a knife was on a nice sunny afternoon shift. I had just cleared a report on station and was walking back out to my cruiser. I see an elderly lady flying through our parking lot towards the Fire Dept. garage bays. She proceeds to honk her horn like she was trying to wake the dead. Figuring there may be some medical emergency I head over there to assist if need be, or at the very least get some preliminary info for the FD before they arrive. I soon discovered that the lady's approximately 7 year old grandson is tangled up in the rear seatbelt. When I say tangled I mean Olympic-Gold-Medal-most-people-could-try-their-whole-lives-and-not-achieve-this TANGLED. I have no idea how this poor kid got this tied up. From the best I could tell he had flipped completely around laterally at least twice. The seatbelt was so tight on this kid it was really digging into his skin pretty bad. It had also locked up (as they are designed to do in a crash) so I couldn't pull any slack out. Every time I tried moving this kid around to unwrap him he screamed that it hurt. As tight as the belt was and as much as it was digging into his skin, I believed him. Not to mention there was no way I could spin this kid like a drill in reverse to unwrap him even if he wasn't in pain. I explained to grandma that the seatbelt needed to be cut, but she was not having it. After another failed attempt at unwrapping the kid and politely but bluntly explaining the facts to grandma, she realized that cutting the seatbelt was the only option. I pulled out my beloved Benchmade 580 and sliced right through it. The kid thanked me and then said, "I like your knife". I showed the kid around the cruiser and hit the lights and siren for him. He then got back in the car and grandma drove away still grumbling that her husband was going to kill her over the seatbelt.

Stagehand and Bcamos like this.
  16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Love this one. Damn grandmas.

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

grandmas are evil. mine is 96 and still hurts me when she punches me. :D

18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

RENO:
    in addition to the Blow Out Kit pouch contest I'm holding for your local SAR/LEO/FIRE/EMT lads/lasses....you might as well get them to join this one. :)

19. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I'm a mall ninja, does that count?

Here I am just trying to pick up some dry cleaning, and this crazy guy attacks me with a knife, lucky I had my gopro with me....YEAH SEE YA

20. Mandevu

Mandevu Member

Sorry for the late reply, Yeah I fully understand that you have honorable intentions, and I understand your point of view that you don't want stolen valour (Walter mittys in the uk) idiots applying. I do however know that I would not release that information for any of my blokes.
    I am not going to enter, and can't really suggest an alternative form of verification, but none the less thank you again for doing this as recognition. There isn't much love for the armed forces in the UK.