Klein Tools #44151 (Pocket Steel)

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Kaw-liga, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Hey guys, I wanted to share this little tool with you all. I have used it weekly for well over a year now. When I used it earlier I was thinking about how impressed I've been with it. It's a miniature knife steel. A buddy of mine that does electrical work was familiar with it but until I stumbled across it I was utterly oblivious that it existed.
    2017-04-22 11.18.21.jpg
    2017-04-22 11.18.46.jpg
    I grew to love using a butcher's steel for touching up my pocket knives going back to when I worked in restaurants and kitchens as a teenager. I have also used a variety of small pen-sized sharpeners but they were all abrasive rods and none were true knife steels.
    20170422_105401.jpg
    I tried to capture the "gritty" texture of the little rattail sharpener compared to the ribbed surface of the Klein. My camera in this lighting weren't optimal for the close up.

Is that a 12" rosewood handled butcher's steel in your pocket?.....
    2017-04-22 11.15.17.jpg

It is magnetized and I very quickly found it useful for picking up or retrieving screws when I bust a knife down for spa treatment.
    2017-04-22 11.16.00.jpg

In terms of performance it is optimal for folding knives and fixed blades up to 4". The largest knife I've used it on was my LS. I feel that a good stropping does the best on it but this little steel did a somewhat satisfactory touch up.
    2017-04-22 11.14.03.jpg

It usually stays in a pocket or the little tin that came with my Tuff-cloth kit. It's slightly larger than the pen applicator.
    2017-04-22 11.17.51.jpg

The brass threads and the hollow plastic storage tube/handle have held up very well. That was my only concern when I initially received it. My fear was that the brass threads would eventually wear down the plastic ones and that they would loosen. Mine has remained solid and tight with regular carry and use.

The price I paid was $18.74 on Amazon and they currently run ~$20. The stamping in the brass says "Made in England" which isn't something I take issue with. Personally I do buy American when given the option, but that's just me.

If you are looking for a portable way to touch up your pocket knives and are familiar with/like using a steel then this is an excellent consideration. If I lost mine today I'd order another without hesitation.

Thanks for reading.

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to post this! I will order one and check it out.

Zeek and Kaw-liga like this.
  3. ESEE-Fan

ESEE-Fan Member

Sweet I get a Klein discount through work, I'll have to pick one up

Kaw-liga likes this.
  4. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

Wow. I've been looking for something Like that.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  5. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I'm glad you guys enjoyed this. I always come to y'all for ideas, reviews, info, etc. So it feels good to contribute.