kayak camping fishing trip

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by DanielGoldberg23, May 7, 2021.

1. DanielGoldberg23

DanielGoldberg23 Member

I'm going on my first kayak camping trip in July and was wonder what everybody packs and how they manage what to pack and if I need to be as limited as what I can take on a backpacking trip.
    Thanks

anrkst6973 likes this.
  2. Boker55

Boker55 Member

The type of boat I'm using generally dictates how I pack. I use a Jackson Kayak Big Tuna or an Ascend hybrid. Both are big boats but pack differently. What kayak are you using?

DanielGoldberg23 likes this.
  3. DanielGoldberg23

DanielGoldberg23 Member

field and stream eagle talon 12
    love the thing its my first kayak

4. Boker55

Boker55 Member

400 pound capacity you can bring whatever you want, which is how I like to float. I always put my clothes, hammock and sleep stuff in a dry bag and cram it in the hatch. Food and other "camping" gear goes in a pelican case strapped behind the seat. Fishing Tackle I like to put it all in the hatch that's right in between your legs so its easy to get to, but only if the little hatch has a net or something. Some of them are just open to the belly of the boat and your stuff will go all over. You can always cram your food stuff into the hatch and put the beer cooler behind the seat!

5. DanielGoldberg23

DanielGoldberg23 Member

thanks appreciate the help looking forward for my trip

6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I've done several 6-7 day kayak trips. #1 use dry bags, even putting hd trash bags inside of dry bags. If water can get in, it will. #2 carry what you want/need to be comfortable. Especially at night/sleeping. Remember you are on vacation, not a survival excercise. #3 build or buy a small wheeled dolly for your yak. Unless you anticipate rough terrain Portage you can just leave stuff in the boat, pop the wheels under, and la te da away with all your gear rolling instead of carrying it. :)

IW17 and DanielGoldberg23 like this.