How many of you have kids you'd give knives to

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArguableLobster, Mar 12, 2018.

?

Broodlings?

1. Yes brood

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. No brood

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

and how small are their tender little hands?

asking for non creepy reasons.

2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

My daughter is 23 and I'll get her any blade she wants. She is a product of the French Culinary Institute and constantly burns herself. Sharp blades? Not a problem.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Can't vote, no kids, have three Godkids, all have received multiple blades from me. The boys at birth (I got the girl a Swarovski Crystal Elk in the hope she may not take after me and her dad....should have got her the knife.

4. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I have 3 (boys 10 and 9 and my daughter is 6 today). I have trained all of them about knife safety since they were babies. I would test them by leaving a knife laying in the middle of the living room floor and standing out of sight around the corner. Both my boys would just loom at it and then come get me...My daughter always picked it up and tried to open it lol...
    Lately we've been doing some "handling sessions" because they've all been showing interest. I lay out my knives and let them handle them. This let's be gauge how interested they are, how safe they are being and how responsible / mature they are. The general consensus is that none of them are ready or interested in folders yet. They're all fearful of the blade closing on their hands. I'm not going to push it with that. there all fearful of the blade closing on their hands. I'm not going to push it with that. My oldest son has a bk11 waiting for him that was a gift that he likes a lot.. my ten-year-old son really likes the izula or bk14 So eventually I'll pick up one of those for him and my daughter likes how little the izula is so I'll probably get one with pretty colors for her. I don't feel the younger two are quite ready yet, but I feel the 10-year old is. We're going to try to go on a day hike this coming weekend.I'll let him bring his knife in his bag and have him help me cut up food and whittle on a walking stick

5. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

My son's 17 and probably wears XL Mechanix gloves. He's been given a Laserstrike, Junglas, and a 6 from my wife and I along with an Izula from his mother. I've worked on knife safety with him since he was 6 or so and gave him his first folder around 10.

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Caster96, koolaidnd, Swampdog and 6 others like this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

Gave my girl a purple Izula for her 12th birthday.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

My little girl is 8 and she has several knives, an Esee 3, Eldris and a few SAKs. She is not allowed to use them with out parental guidance and she doesn’t get to keep them, they get put up when we are done. She loves knives.
    1702BF21-B4C3-4855-9B26-FF8AB2A6416A.jpeg F40FFDCC-223A-462D-9B82-9B35FF759562.jpeg

9. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

All of my kids have blades and multi-tool in their GHB that stay in the vehicles, with the exception of my youngest who is still in HS. She has a SAK and a multi-tool. A student with a fixed-blade knife on school property will get you arrested even if it is in the car. I have asked about a small hatchet, but I always get an ambiguous response from the SRO. Ambiguity can lead to misunderstanding so she has a bag of lighter wood and dryer lint in her pack as well.

10. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Ain't got no kids.

IW17 and Kaw-liga like this.
  11. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

My little fellow is approaching 6 and I try to get out once a week, even if only briefly, to work on something with a blade with him. Sometimes we carve a little, maybe clear some brush, definitely maintenance (stropping/honing and oil). I am absolutely right on top of him at this age but I want him to understand what they are and what they are not. If nothing else I don't want knives to be a mystery to him. IMG_20180106_151500694_HDR.jpg

12. olderguy

olderguy Member

My son (like me) was taught knife and firearm safety very young. He probably got his first knife around 8 and (like me) always has a knife in his pocket.

13. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

My boy's almost 8 now and he and I recently made a kid-sized veggie chopping knife for him out of a piece of a broken scythe blade. :)

koolaidnd, otis, anrkst6973 and 5 others like this.
  14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Both my boys are grown, they each have a handful of sharps I've given them over the years, the girls are both in high school and have a folder, fixed and a machete I outfitted them with. :)

15. jeeter

jeeter Member

Why asking? You expecting?

I'll say it depends on the kid and his abilities. I have 5; the youngest is 20 months, so obviously no blade for her, lol. My older 4 are 7, 10, 13, and 16, and I've started them on SAKs and Izulas around 5-7 years old. I have no trouble with the oldest 3 using their knives unsupervised, and they started around 5 years. Olaf (7) is a bit clumsy, so he got his SAK later than his siblings at 7, and isn't allowed to use it without me or the wife around.

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you get your GF preggers.....? :confused:o_O:D:D:D:D:D

17. Zeek

Zeek Member

Oh boy... red flag on the field. :p

18. Swampdog

Swampdog Member

I have a new grandson to buy future knives for now.

I bought his Dad a few knives over the years, his first one was a Cub Scout knife. One of my most stressful tasks was to teach his den knife safety and how to carve a bar of soap. I brought a first aid kit and about 100 band aids with me to the den meeting. Luckily nobody needed medical assistance!

I still buy knives for my 30 year-old son, and I gave my daughter in-law a SAK Pioneer this past Christmas.

koolaidnd, Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  19. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

My boys are 23 months apart...they have grown up at the gun range and outside....guns and knives have always been part of our family history.

these pics were taken in 2014 of my sons at a RAT Parent/Child class they were 10 and 12. I started them both on Izula IIs about 2 years before this...

a rare pic of @Jeff Randall with a kid...My youngest, Parker
    1458511_10202905503214710_7253444218548478936_n.jpg

Jackson
    10155036_10202905503694722_7018659253784167764_n.jpg

20. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

Not mine, no.

I have a knife I made but I ground the handle like 2mm too narrow and never finished it. It feels ok with a cord wrap, but i was never really happy with it for other reasons as well. I thought it might be suitable for a youngin, or someone with presidential sided hands. Provided they can meet the entry requirements for a giveaway. They don't involve facebook or instagram, but probably involve burning things because that's fun.

if any of your kids scorch off their eyebrows in a fireball they get an extra entry. that's enthusiasm.

IW17, koolaidnd, jeeter and 5 others like this.