Hollow Handle Knives and Other Classics (All Randalls Qualify)

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 11, 2016.

1. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

DJ Jr is working on a review video of the SAFE as soon as he gets a break from the Backwood's NBA.

Sam Wilson, R Stowe and Strigidae like this.
  2. DYSPHORIC JOY

One of @Sam Wilson videos of the initial Model 1 MOA:

Strigidae likes this.
  3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I may have to start saving my pennies for one of these things.

Sam Wilson and Strigidae like this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Right?!

5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I hope this isn't a rude question. What does one of his knives cost? I'm considering it now.

6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

7. DYSPHORIC JOY

Strig beat me to it. I would figure out what you want, what type of steel, etc. and shoot @Sam Wilson an e-mail. I have never seen one of the HHs for sale. I think he has orders now that will keep him busy for over a year or so but check with him. I know that his pricing is certainly competitive with Newt, Vaughn, and Gil.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Sam Wilson and Strigidae like this.
  8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

That is one soft-spoken knife maker.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Looking forward to seeing DJ Jr doing some damage with that MOA.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  10. DYSPHORIC JOY

11. DYSPHORIC JOY

12. Expat

Being a Randall guy, I know that these knives can take a beating if they're made right. But I'm confused on why they don't just snap off at the hilt. How does a maker attach the blade to the handle in such a way to make it strong enough?

And are they as strong as a tang knife, or are there limitations to their strength by the nature of the design?

Strigidae likes this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Does your AR7 run OK ? In a recent thread (on another forum) my AR7 got voted my WORST all time firearm...and I have had some stinkers. That was due to i) reliability (never fired and entire 7 sounds without a malfunction) and ii) quality, trigger mech finally broke and left the rifle non-functional....and that was that. I LOVEed the concept and general handling...I just wish it worked...!!

Strigidae likes this.
  14. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

@DYSPHORIC JOY Very nice picture! May I use it? Thank you regardless.

Strigidae likes this.
  15. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Well, to answer your second question first, yes and no. And to explain, I will answer your first question along the way. (Warning: My opinion follows.) Yes, a well-built hollow handle knife is going to be as strong as a tang knife (full tang, partial tang, hidden tang, stick tang, etc.) in the sense that they can easily accomplish any and all of the same cutting/chopping chores as those knives. If you were to somehow put them in some sort of flexing contest or load bearing contest, I suppose the full tang knife would have some advantage at some point.

It is kind of a trick question. Most knives that are built properly (and this excludes defects, which can happen to any knife) are going to suffer catastrophic failure right in front of the guard or near the plunge line somewhere, and/or snap further toward the tip where the blade is thinner and thus weaker. And that pretty much goes for full tang and hidden tang knives. A HH knife is essentially a hidden tang knife, the tang is just a little shorter. All of this assumes that the knife is being used to cut, and not in some YouTube cinder block busting metal chopping fantasy.

Another way to think about it: if a full tang knife and a HH knife were both put in a vise with just their bare tangs exposed, which would be easier to break off? A 4”-5” long piece of hardened steel or a 1” long piece of hardened steel? Certainly much more leverage can be applied to the longer handle. Interesting possibilities.

Another thing is that the handle slabs (or block, with hidden tang knives) serve to help reinforce and stabilize the tang. Most knives use micarta, wood, G10 or other similar materials for the handle. A HH knife uses a steel tube. When the tube is tightened up against the guard, it is squared against the guard and very little to no movement is possible, thus reinforcing the tang a great deal.

I’ve got video of me doing chin-ups on my knives, and the thing to remember is that there isn’t as much stress placed on the tang as you might thing. In general, it’s my opinion that there just isn’t much to worry about when it comes to the strength of these knives. Whether people like them or not, that’s fine. But they’re not inherently weak.

Now, as to how they’re made, Randall I believe hard solders (silver braze) their blade to the guard, and in turn the guard to the handle tube. Silver brazing is very strong, with some of the joints being in the mig welding range for strength. I have done this on some of my knives, and in testing I hammered on the joint with a small sledge and it never released, not to mention abusive batonning and a bunch of other ridiculous testing. A very strong connection.

On mine, after soldering the guard on to the blade, the blade is threaded into the handle. Then the blade is pinned in place and I pour in epoxy to cover it all. Unless you have power tools, the blade will break somewhere forward of the guard before it comes out of the handle.

A long answer, I know, but I wanted to put it in here for future reference since I get asked this question a lot and figured this was a good spot to put it. Sorry if I told you things you already knew. Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Sam Wilson

Caleb O, matthew, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  16. DYSPHORIC JOY

This was not mine and is a Henry. A buddy was over for a visit who teaches survival mindset stuff and we started yammering about hollow-handles, minimizing gear, and fake Izulas so I snapped a few pics. About 10 mags without issues.

Is yours made by Henry, Armalite, or Charter? I had very poor experiences with the Charter.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Strigidae likes this.
  17. DYSPHORIC JOY

Sure. I would have taken a better one if I had known that.

Strigidae and Sam Wilson like this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....mine was a Charter Arms, got it around 1983 and it was scrap by 1985... in the early 90s I found the stock and barrel in a box and gave it to a mate who was still persevering with one. If I *could* have one that ran I would in a heart beat.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. Expat

That's an awesome education. Thank you, Sam. Love your knives. You going to be a SHOT? I'd like to stop by and say hello.

Strigidae likes this.
  20. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you, I enjoy talking about them. I won't be at SHOT unfortunately, I'm very busy at the moment and can't get away.

Expat and Strigidae like this.