Glenfield 30-30 advice/information

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Scablands Scavenger, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

I was at one of my LGS and found a Glenfield/Marlin 30-30 it was very worn in, scratched scuffed and the stock had some pretty large nicks.... or chunks missing. Like an old truck gun ha ha. The asking price was 599. Seemed a bit high to me BUT I dont see many used lever actions around anymore. For Price reference, a new Henry side gated 45-70 was 998, a Winchester 44-40 was 999. A typical Rossi in 357 or 45 etc runs 6-800 now days. So the question is for anyone with experience with older lever guns, am I looking at a rip off or would this be something worth picking up? I have a Glenfield 22LR bolt action, it shoots fine and is actually pretty accurate. Anyone shoot one of these lever guns?
    I am not set on getting it, but it is on my list of "possible purchases", older 30-30, 44, or 45 lever action for plinking/steel fun.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

I've got one those, very accurate gun, used it to harvest dog and cat food on the farm as a kid, many many small rodent heads were disappeared.
    I never see the Glenfield marked lever guns, I would want to find out if the Marlin parts will work, enough of those you wouldn't have to worry about replacing worn stuff. If it's that rough they should be happy to see a $500 offer, I would start lower.

3. ASH

ASH Member

Everything seems high these days. I would say that as long as it is safe to shoot, I would prefer the Glenfield over a new Rossi and I don't have anything against Rossi.

4. Scablands Scavenger

Good point with parts availability, Ill have to check on that for sure.

5. Scablands Scavenger

I am thinking this exact thing. I have a Rossi in 357, with a little tuning it turned into a nice little rifle. I would like to get something with a little character.

6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I honestly know nothing about this particular gun.

That said after a quick googling I think that the $599 is a little much. I agree with @Jtallen83 that $500 should probably Be max price.

If it is a true gun shop with a gunsmith and all you might ask them if they would clean it/ fix it up a little for the original $599 price maybe a few dollars more. You might be able to get them to clean up some of the metal and fix up the stock if they really want that much.

I don’t think it would hurt to ask :)

7. Blake G

Blake G Member

It's essentially a Marlin, Marlin 36/336 parts will work. They are solid guns but the asking price is too high, they were $300 guns not that long ago and $4-500 guns now at best. Wear isn't bad, guns can always be refinished and furniture is readily available for these guns (go with Boyd's laminated instead of the OEM birch if you want real durability/stability). I've owned a few of them and they are accurate, reliable guns that someone else always seems to need more than me... LOL

Scablands Scavenger likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Would take nothing to dremel scour the wood, fill it with epoxy mixed with extremely fine powder sawdust, or using wood filler, then sanding, staining darker and sealing with varnish

or if your really good at mixing - mix BOTH epoxy & wood filler paste together...