Esee AGK Ashley Game Knife Thread

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by W.Jester, Aug 30, 2019.

1. olywa

olywa Member

The AGK S35 micarta is contoured with a palm swell and the finish is lightly textured and polished. It's more like the orange/black G10 on my Xancudo. I may try to lightly sand it to rough it up a bit for better grip.

WCT likes this.
  2. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I see the AGK in S35V as my next knife. Very interesting combo of blade and steel.

Well done ESEE.

Mr. Tettnanger and Creaky Bones like this.
  3. WCT

WCT Member

Well, I caved. I found an s35 model being offered at a steep discount and couldn’t pass it up. Generally I prefer carbon steel, but I do really appreciate what Esee/Rowen accomplish with s35. And for hunting there’s no denying the convenience of not having to be too concerned with corrosion if one gets absentminded or neglectful with maintenance, to say nothing of the edge-holding of s35. That’s me justifying the purchase of a knife I don’t need.

Anyhow, no game yet, but my first impressions are positive. The steel is every bit as sharp and sleek as my Xancudo. The micarta is a nice balance between polished and textured. It has some good grip to it. I would say it’s slightly rougher than the micarta on the PR4/JG5. The contours are nice but not overdone. The new scales have just a mild palm swell, which I like. It’s subtle but effective. Adds some nice feedback in handling but doesn’t change how it feels in the hand too much by comparison. This is a positive to me. I don’t mind the traditional flat micarta scales on the AGK or the other models (3/4/6), and I don’t care for the the contoured g10 scales, I find them too slick, especially with sweaty/bloody hands, and I don’t really like the shape, with the thin front and bulbous rear. This is not a complaint, everyone has different preferences, and I like that that are options. Those happen to be mine.

I built a leather sheath for my 1095 AGK, and the S35 fits into it just fine (a benefit of the scales not being drastically different). I can’t speak to the fit of the stock leather sheath, as I modified and repurposed it some time ago. As others have stated the kydex has good retention with a positive click into place, and my 1095 with canvas scales also fits the kydex. Nice to have another option besides leather.

I don’t have much more to say until I get a chance to try it on game. I don’t need to cut up some onions or steak to know it will accomplish those tasks. It’s a sharp piece of metal, it will cut through food and rope and packages and all that. Handling it in the ways I would, were I dressing a deer, I am much impressed with its ergonomics. I think it might be one of the best hunting field-knife designs ever. Right up there with a Grohmann. This is of course not specific to the s35 version, but those are my thoughts every time I handle the AGK of any iteration.

If anyone finds themselves interested in this knife, I can only tell you, as with the 1095 version, it’s well made and a pleasure to handle. Ultimately I don’t think the scales are so different to be worth the upgrade alone. I think the primary motivator for purchase ought to be the stainless factor, or, like me, the satisfaction of getting a good deal on something one doesn’t really need. Happy New Year.

IMG_0845.jpeg IMG_0846.jpeg IMG_0851.jpeg IMG_0849.jpeg IMG_0850.jpeg

4. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Great looking pair!

Mr. Tettnanger and WCT like this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The scale contouring is sweet!

WCT likes this.