Enzo Piili 85

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Kaw-liga, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Hello everyone,

I received this little folder from the Mrs. for Christmas. It's a little off the beaten path and I've found very little info on it online so I figured I'd give my initial impression after roughly a week of carry. I don't post much, I prefer to check in from time to time and just listen.

It's made by Enzo of Finland (parent company Brisa) and marketed as a "gentleman's folder." In a nutshell I like the slim and sleek design. The fit and finish is nearly perfect. A pair of black G10 scales fit the stainless liners seamlessly. My only grievance as far as finish is a spot on the blade with machine marks that can be seen in the photo of the phosphor-bronze washers. Other than that, the maker's name, "J. Hankala" is very elegantly etched into the swedge. If I ever misplace it I worry that some good Samaritan may try to return Mr. Hankala's knife to him.

Opening is simple with a little practice. There is no protrusion to "flip" it with so the thumb stud is the only option. To be honest I hated it at first. The tip of my index finger was constantly fishing the spine for an imaginary flipper. The stud was putting a large scuff into my thumbnail and my hands had that "new folder soreness" which only lasted a day or two. I tried to get a blurred shot of the blade coming open but the action is faster than my phone's camera. On the note of action there is zero play in the blade and lock up is audible and solid.

Closing with one hand is also smooth. The only Jimping present on this knife is on the lock bar. It too gave me a few days of soreness but is breaking in nicely.

Carry is tip-up only and the pocket clip is not reversible. The thumb stud, however, can be swapped from one side of the blade to the other so lefties weren't totally forgotten when the knife was designed.

The hardware is largely T6. The only exception is the pivot screw which takes a T8 bit. I haven't made any adjustments since the action and centering were good to me out of the box. The pocket clip must be removed before disassembly since its screws go through the scales and thread into the liner.

In the past week I've carried it exclusively and put it to task daily with light gardening, food prep, and opening envelopes and plastic packages. My only other experience with Elmax steel has been with my ZT 566. This blade came extremely sharp and is very nimble. It excels at slicing and detail work. It did well enough for cutting bunches of greens from turnips, but honestly I'd prefer a beefier blade with an open pillar design for outdoor use in general. With that said, in fairness it was intended to be a slim gent's folder and it does well at that. It takes up little space in the pocket and is comfortable in hand.

Specs:
    -Blade Length is 3.35"
    -Blade Width is 0.138"
    -Overall Length when Open is 8"
    -Length when Closed is 4.5"
    -Weight is 3.8 oz
    -MSRP is € 175 ($183.27 as of today, according to Google)
    -My price was just under $150

I may end up making a simple pair of wood scales to dress it up or a G10 back spacer to lighten it a smidge. I wouldn't have minded a pocket clip that rode deeper in the pocket either. These are things that I nitpick that don't affect how the knife functions. Below are some pics. I did one with my 3 and 4 plus another with some other common folders for a size comparison.

I'm really enjoying the new forum and I thank you all for being here. Here's wishing you all happiness, safety, and adventure in 2017.

-John
    20170104_110541.jpg 20170104_110646.jpg 20170104_110506.jpg 20170104_110328.jpg 20170104_105211.jpg 20170104_103754.jpg 20170104_102508.jpg 20170104_102218.jpg 20170104_101453.jpg 20170104_101436.jpg

Bushman5, theJman, RedEyedHog and 2 others like this.
  2. Slade

Slade Member

Nice write-up. I think this is one I could appreciate. Tried an Enzo Birk 75? and liked it in S30V

Kaw-liga likes this.
  3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Thanks Slade. Yeh, you can read my mind man. I was going to pick up the Birk 75 in S30V instead but the Piili was marked down (at Thompson's Scandinavian Knives, I think) to the point that it was within ~$10 of the Birk. I figured I wouldn't catch one that low again so I jumped on it.

4. theJman

theJman Member

Really nice write-up. Lots of detail and pictures make it easy to get a sense of the knife.

Kaw-liga likes this.