DBK loves ESEE

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Crox, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Crox

Crox Member

Hadn’t seen this posted. I love the DBK videos. Sorry if duplicated:

Congratulations to the ESEE team!

KnOeFz likes this.
  2. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

The DBK guys are an acquired taste.
    But in this particular video, I think they are spot on.

Over time I have come to enjoy and even seek out their videos for information and feedback on blades.
    They usually seem to be pretty accurate with their testing, and they do seem to have a good time.

They are not afraid to praise or bash when necessary.
    As indicated, they aren't afraid to admit their mistakes either.

It could be said I was a fan of Bark River,
    [​IMG]

But I experienced the same type of issues they describe.

I almost went to work for Bark River. I went out to Escanaba and interviewed with Mike.
    I spent three days there, going over processes, quality control, inventory management, and help issues.

The position was offered to me, but I turned it down. It was a brutally tough decision for me.
    But I felt ultimately it was the right one. I sincerely want to be involved in the knife industry.
    But it has to be a good fit for all parties.

Since that point, I have seen the quality control drop off.
    We discussed it at length. How to increase production without losing a grip on overall quality control.

Back then, Mike was also building Knives for Survive. I used to chuckle at folks who wouldn't own a Barkie, But swore by Survive, because they were so much better. Yet there they were side by side.

I actually sold off a lot of Barkies. I have kept some and purchased others. But it has become more of a crap shoot. As DBK discussed, the grinds can be way off side to side, or front to back. Plunge lines can be extremely lopsided.

Or it can be a home run. you just don't know.

If you watch the older DBK videos, you will see how enamored they once were with Bark River.
    But like many of us, they have seen changes.

I was never a complete fanboy of Bark River, and I'm not now anti Barkie.
    I hope they can turn it around, or at least change course.

I think the DBK guys summed it up with the Attitude comments.
    I have a lot of other inside feedback, but it isn't really relevant to this thread.
    So we'll leave that be.

Suffice it to say my early Bravo-1 and Special Hunting knife are still favorites.

***But on to ESEE,
    Congratulations guys!

Turning naysayers into fans is no easy task.
    And you went right to the top. Outstanding!!

Again much of that change was brought about by attitude.
    The actual knife is only part of the equation.
    Customer service is what is or should be driving the bus.

Attitude has certainly played an active roll for me as well.
    Not just any sort of butt kissing BS.

But building quality knives.
    Standing behind them when necessary.

Even the occasional call out of some bonehead, who says all he did was drop his ESEE-4 when spreading peanut butter on his sandwich and it broke in half.

Also for sticking to your guns with your ideas.
    A knife may not work for everyone, as DBK indicated. But it works well for others.

And for listening to feedback from customers. My 3HM has impressed the hell out of me.
    So much so that it caused me to revisit some of my older ESEE blades.

And finally, the sheaths.
    If you've read anything I've written.
    Sheaths and sheath systems are very important to me.

I was going to do a thread on sheaths here. But I haven't finished what I want to say yet.
    But I have been alternating between three knives for daily work and play chores.

I have to say I love the way my ESEE-3 Rides on my belt for work. I just have the metal belt clip on it.
    It stays tucked in tight to. my body. It doesn't get in the way when I'm running a chainsaw, getting on and off a tractor.
    or even when I go to town. It stays inconspicuously out of the way.

I had a guy doing a roof here a while back. He saw it and asked if it was an ESEE?. I said yes a 3, and handed it to him.
    He gently thumbed the edge, then ran it up his forearm. He was impressed. He had not handled a 3.
    He said he would be ordering one soon.

So to wrap this up, I pleased that the DBK guys placed you first. The world doesn't revolve around them.
    But I think they are realistic in their views and not afraid to voice them.

I have certainly grown to appreciate all aspects of ESEE as a company. The warranty, the blades, the evolution process,
    all of it.

Keep up the good work!!
    LV,

[​IMG]