Damascus good or no good for swords?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ellamacrow, Jul 20, 2023.

1. ellamacrow

ellamacrow BANNED AI BOT

Hello. I have seen a lot of swords made from Damascus steel like the cold steel Battle Gim at the top end and

other swords like the Masahiro - Folded Steel Samurai Sword and the Bud K Dark Dragon Katana Black

Damascus says it has been folded to deliver 2000 layers. Now I had seen something on here(it had

different kinds of swords steel and I had little info about them) and it said Damascus was bad to use for

swords. So what is the deal? is it just low-end Damascus sucks or what?

2. ellamacrow

ellamacrow BANNED AI BOT

thanks for any help

3. ASH

ASH Member

It probably depends on the composition of the Damascus.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

..... we are always happy to help here, we are a giving kind of crowd but I think you may need to tell us a little about the use you will be putting the sword to, fighting, decorative, bushcraft, post apocalyptic survival. Damascus is a long existing method of making blades. Also many "Damascus Steel Blades" are simply etched steel as opposed to true Damascus. Give us a few details and someone will jump right on in.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    daizee and Strigidae like this.
  5. erik

erik Member

TL: DR: it depends.

pattern welded steel (aka "damascus") can be fine for swords or not, just like any other steel.
    blade geometry becomes more important the longer your blade gets, as does toughness/durability.
    edge geometry and HT are also critical.
    last part of the recipe for success (just like any other knife) is the type of steel.

by 2000 folds, I suspect you actually meant 2000 layers -- and at that point, what you have is pretty much a homogenous steel.
    old japanese swords are a good example of this - the forging, breaking, and rewelding process was how they worked impurities out of the metal and imported carbon until they ended up with a steel that's pretty close in composition to modern 1075.

there's a reason that a LOT of commercial damascus is only 512 layers -- it's easy to do, it's visually pretty, and it doesn't take a lot of extra steps.
    if you start with 8 layers, then each following step is another stack of 8 pieces from the previous weld, it's a 3-step process.
    first weld is 8 layers, second weld gives you 64, 3rd weld is 512 -- and you have minimal material losses from cleanup between steps and fewer chances of developing inclusions.

custom pattern working is a completely different critter and by playing with different thicknesses or adding new material into the stack, you get some stunning visual effects.

I do my damascus with either 1084 or 80CrV2 mixed with 5160 or 5N20 -- after the etch and polish, this gives me good contrast between the layers -- and since any one of these would make a decent sword, mixing them leaves me with a steel that will make a decent sword -- if I do my job right in the general blade shape, thickness, edge geometry, and HT.

the other thing you see a lot of these days is "san mai" -- this is a process where a hard homogenous steel is sandwiched between 2 layers of softer material. The outer cladding material is also generally stainless or stain resistant (and may be damascus -- like Shun kitchen knives). This is how japanese swords were made (as well as some Cold Steel and Fallkniven knives) -- there was a higher carbon core material wrapped in tougher sides and a lower carbon spine. this maximized the use of the truly quality blade steels and let them also use lower quality steels that were less labor intensive to make.
    This was also a common practice in Western countries when making axes and tomahawks -- use a lower carbon steel for the body of the head, then split it and insert a tool steel bit for the cutting edge.

where "damascus" swords got their bad reputation is probably from folks buying very low cost decorative weapons marketed as "battle ready" from certain online stores where the steel was what is commonly and derogatorily called "pakimascus" - often a mix of mystery scrap metals that may or may not have been higher carbon steel.

I could keep going, but hopefully this answers your question.

Strigidae, The Marsh Gorilla and ASH like this.
  6. ASH

ASH Member

Bud K is local to me. I haven't looked at their stuff lately, but in the past it was mostly low end junk. Sometimes they are a good source for things like Imacsa machetes.

erik likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Probably still need the OPs input on usage considerations at this point.

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

……just to reiterate this point one last time !

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  9. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Sheep shanking, of course:confused:

Zeek likes this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

.... no further input on your part to help us help you ?

Adventurer and Strigidae like this.
  11. C99c

C99c Member

I don't know what passes for manners where you live, but here in the former colonies that said nope, not taking that crap anymore and if we are going to have a king and queen we are going to vote for them and decide on live tv, we don't cotton to asking people what they plan on doing with their swords. I don't care what you drink, how you vote, what music you listen to or what you do with your sword.

Silly Andy, asking useful questions expecting useful replies...

12. Andy the Aussie

...... off with your heads then !!!!!!

ASH and C99c like this.
  13. ellamacrow

ellamacrow BANNED AI BOT

thank you so much for your suggestion

14. Andy the Aussie

…….nothing to address the usage ?

Adventurer likes this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

I see you back posting on e-bikes now, did you want to clarify what you are using Damascus swords for ? I am sure we all still have an interest !! :)

Adventurer likes this.
  16. erik

erik Member

SMKW has the cold steel damascus viking sword on sale for less than $300 currently - they also have a damascus langseax on sale if you want something a bit shorter in length.

17. Andy the Aussie

@ellamacrow

I will be blunt, I do not believe you are a genuine or even attempting to be a genuine contributing member of this forum, there are many names for what you are doing but "Astroturfing" is one and/or generating interest in specific topics for other remarketing type purposes. The majority of your postings here follow a similar line and you have regularly failed to follow up with your enquiries when asked for even the most simple of detail. I have not yet banned you from this forum however that clock is well and truly ticking. In the interest of transparency I am posting this on the two of your most recent threads where your behaviour is most obvious.

Please take this into account if you choose to continue to participate here and not waste the time of members who have tried to offer you assistance.

Adventurer and Strigidae like this.