Culinary Goodness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emac, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

IMG_6522.jpeg

It’s a thing of beauty! I’m going to make a simple cover for it. Something really really simple

KnOeFz, anrkst6973 and Bushman5 like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I bet @anrkst6973 will be watching closely to see what you make :p

Bushcraft_Dave and anrkst6973 like this.
  3. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Making a cover for the mess kit with a SPEEDY STITCHER was a lot more arduous than I expected. I need to learn how to sew. But I did learn a lot.

First I needed to make leather thimbles to protect my fingers
    IMG_6565.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    KnOeFz, Bluelew, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

spicy curried beef stew , with onions, celery, loads of garlic and madras Indian simmering sauce.

made it in my Afghan pressure cooker, until the meat cubes fell apart into strands. Simmered it down thick , almost paste like, transferred it to parchment paper on the dehydrator trays and dehydrated it for 12 hours until bone dry / very crumbly

this will be vacuum sealed into portions , to add to instant noodle’s or pasta or rice when hiking

IMG_0811.jpeg IMG_0812.jpeg IMG_0813.jpeg IMG_0816.jpeg IMG_0888.jpeg IMG_0893.jpeg IMG_0894.jpeg

5. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Oh man that looks yummy! I bet that taste amazing!

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Yeah, that looks tasty!

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Well..here we are again. :)

20230607_171329.jpeg
    This looks delicious. Where did it come from?

Pretty sure theres a story to it over in my Adventure thread. Drop by for a look if you want.

8. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Heading over now!

anrkst6973 likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Another batch of spicy curried beef in the works…… cleaned out the freezer of old meat , about 10 lbs worth of steak, Chuck, super lean ground, brisket. Some marinated Chuck cubes in vacuum bags.

All trimmed of fat, chunked up, pressure cooked in their own juices in batches to tenderize , with loads (literally cups ) of cumin, coriander, pepper, Himalayan salt , paprika, chili powder, garlic, onion, stock , then slow simmered for a few hours more until the meat fell apart and the sauce got super thick

IMG_0934.jpeg

Spread out onto 4 trays in the dehydrator….. once dried I’ll pound into granules and vacuum seal for the trail, to add to instant noodles , dried soups, rice, pasta etc

some will be finely powdered , tamped solid into molds and I’ll soak with tallow to make pemmican. ( not the traditional way of drying meat and pounding into powder, but way more flavourful)

update: 10 lbs of mixed beef, fully dehydrated

IMG_0949.jpeg

first batch from last week, about 2 cups worth of beef, about to be powderized in the 2000 watt blender.

IMG_0937.jpeg

post blend - about 5 seconds . ready to be pressed into a mold and soaked in melted tallow

IMG_0938.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Super spicy garlicky baked chicken thighs with fried rice.

IMG_0939.jpeg IMG_0941.jpeg

11. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Wow talk about yummy! I love Indian food. I just had some today but yours look a lot better

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Pemmican - Part 2

Entire 10 lb of mixed beef cuts, pressure cooked tender, long slow simmered with loads of spices , herbs, onions, celery - dehydrated down to about 4 lbs of dried product.

IMG_0949.jpeg

Time to blend into powder. This was time consuming , over an hour of constant stirring, dumping into bowl, sifting thru the 2.5 mm placer fines sieve, repeating over and over until the whole batch was powderized . Then into the oven on low , with door cracked open, to dry out the powder 1000%
    IMG_0950.jpeg IMG_0955.jpeg IMG_0951.jpeg IMG_0952.jpeg IMG_0953.jpeg IMG_0956.jpeg IMG_0957.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Pemmican - Part 3 : fruit

chopped up apricots, cranberries, currants with the RON HOOD / TOPS KNIVES ATAX. Figured it was a fitting tool since I was making Pemmican

I def need a 3’ x 3’ chopping block soon if I’m going to keep making stuff like this

IMG_0961.jpeg IMG_0962.jpeg IMG_0963.jpeg IMG_0964.jpeg IMG_0965.jpeg IMG_0966.jpeg IMG_0967.jpeg

About 3 lbs of diced apricots/ cranberries / currants
    IMG_0968.jpeg

Two dehydrator trays full

IMG_0969.jpeg IMG_0970.jpeg

now we wait
    IMG_0971.jpeg

I might add pineapple , dried apples, bananas too.

obviously I’m not storing the pemmican for years, it’ll pretty much be eaten every hike.

:eek:$35 :confused::mad: of grass fed beef tallow. And that was from a butcher…..:(

IMG_0960.jpeg

Update:

dried fruit pulverized into granules - letting the granules dry out more in the warm oven - might run them thru the blender again

IMG_0984.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    KnOeFz, anrkst6973, Dagwood and 2 others like this.
  14. Kryptonian

Kryptonian Member

On today's episode of Krypto's barbeque we make a da meatball.....

Wait what?

Smokin meatballs?

Yeah buddy!

IMG_20230611_110448.jpg
    Forgot the eggs and the parmesan in the fridge till after the pic.
    IMG_20230611_111911.jpg
    Everybody's all mixed together makin friends.
    IMG_20230611_135158.jpg
    Meat into ball form.
    IMG_20230611_153242.jpg
    Smoked and tossed into sauce.
    IMG_20230611_153446.jpg
    Look at that nice little smoke ring.

KnOeFz, anrkst6973, Dagwood and 5 others like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Kryptonian likes this.
  16. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Perfect eating for on the trail ! Brother you have the coolest toys!

Looks perfect! Nicely done

Bushman5 and Kryptonian like this.
  17. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Good evening my culinary compadres!

Tonight I try to recreate something I had years ago- Chimichurri! I had this zesty, fresh, herbal, and delicious sauce on a skirt steak. I’ve tried making this once but it fell flat.

My suspicion was that I didn’t salt it enough and didn’t use a flavorful olive oil. Since then, I’ve learned some cool things from the show SALT FAT ACID HEAT with Samin Nosrat. I learned that just following recipes without deliberate control of those 4 elements, will make my food fall flat.

So tonight, it’s “Man vs. Chimichurri Part 2”

The ingredients:
    Flat lead parsley
    Flavorful olive oil, the kind foe sauces and marinades
    Shallots
    Garlic
    Chili flakes
    Oregano
    Red wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper

When I went to the market, I didn’t see any food steak options so I went with salmon.

I seasoned the salmon with just regular olive oil and salt and pep, plus a lemon. I put my gf in charge of the baking and she hit the temperature perfectly- 125 degrees

When I tasted the marinade, it was really sour and not enough salt. I added salt and hoped for the best. Turns out, the marinade was just right when it was eaten with the fish. Really yummy dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

3yr old venison sausage 3 eggs and sharp cheddar

image.jpg

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Pemmican - Part 5

FINALLY ready to mix the meat powder, granulated fruit & beef tallow together

Ingredients assembled, plus a reeb
    IMG_0985.jpeg

1 cup meat powder + 1 cup granulated fruit, mixed dry
    IMG_0986.jpeg

melting grass fed free range beef tallow
    IMG_0988.jpeg

Pouring melted tallow
    IMG_0989.jpeg

Mixing
    IMG_0990.jpeg

poured into mess tin , hand pressed then tamped with a flat tool
    IMG_0991.jpeg

Batch 2 & 3
    IMG_0992.jpeg

Now we wait for the tallow to harden

I think going forward, I would mix in a glass blender , heated hot with boiling water , dump the water , dry the blender , add the hot melted tallow, fruit granules, and beef powder , then high speed mix until ultra smooth, then pour into the molds. Would yield a stronger, tighter grain , harder food bar than hand mixing

I’d also probably use just dried blueberries for the fruit….. as they actually powderize into a dusty powder - where’s the cranberries / apricots stay fairly chunky/ sticky

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Pemmican - Part 6

Bars cooled/hardened , mess tin warmed in pan of hot water to release bar, product wrapped.

very granular / grainy texture. Breaks apart a little too easily . Tastes great. Spicy, East Indian curry beef flavour, slightly fatty, neutral fat taste, almost zero fruit/sweetness taste. I ate about a tablespoon of crumbled bar…..that was about two hours ago. I feel zero need to eat any food since , just don’t feel hungry at all

IMG_0993.jpeg IMG_0994.jpeg IMG_0995.jpeg

I experimented with my theory on using a boiling water heated blender jar, water drained/blender dried(this will keep the fat from cooling so the blender can mix the slurry superfine) , added the meat and fruit granules, then very hot melted tallow. Blended on high speed for 3 minutes then poured into mess tin.

very very smooth fine grain mix….. will be interesting to see if the bars are more robust / stronger (non crumble)

there is a slight amount of ingredients waste using this method (I have no silicone spatulas)
    IMG_0996.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

previous (first) batch. Very granular

IMG_0991.jpeg

High speed hot blended batch (2nd) note how it’s very smooth finely grained looking
    IMG_0998.jpeg

I might just reprocess the first 3 bars using the hot blender method…..

it occurred to me that Pemmican is the literally the worlds first and oldest highly processed food (but extremely healthy) :D

I’m also really curious to recreate this using smoked dried fish…. Bones and all

Huge amounts of respect and a shout out to Cree Elder Sandy Masty over at CreeFoodTV , who gave me the knowledge/ insight/ instructions on how pemmican was / is traditionally made. I’m absolutely fascinated by traditional First Nations and Inuit cooking and immerse myself as much as possible in their culture and food and traditions.

I would love to do a hunt, process a moose / elk / Cariboo, smoke the meat, render some bear fat, collect and dry wild blueberries and make pemmican true to tradition , but sadly , living (stuck) in the city , it’s extremely hard to do so.

I know my pemmican recipe was not really made properly in the traditional sense, but as a foodie I can’t help but adapt/ experiment. I think I was highly successful in my recipe, adding an East Indian/ South Asian spicy flavour fusion to traditional pemmican

I know I’ll sure enjoy it on my adventures, and I hope I inspire others to experiment with food!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023