Culinary Goodness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emac, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

It's a new procurement.

CooterJohnson likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

did you use a van and a pillow case?

:eek:o_O

CooterJohnson likes this.
  3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I had no part in this.

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Yea right he was giving me ring advice. And egging me on so he wasn't the only guy guaranteed to never touch another woman.

Bushman5 and Bcamos like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ah ok.

[​IMG]

6. jafo

jafo Member

Just finished up 3lbs of pad kapao for my works pot luck tomorrow. Its a basil and garlic thai chili sauce with chicken with jalapenos.
    [​IMG]

7. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Makes sense. Gets the ultimate man cave going so get a wife. Makes sense.

Bushman5 and chorpie like this.
  8. jeeter

jeeter Member

Last night's dinner. Pork chops marinated for 4 days in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, worcesteshire sauce, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and 5 quartered habaneros. Delicious!

[​IMG]

9. indulf

indulf Member

my daughter (9 years old) is at a week long cooking class which was a Christmas gift from my parents. i can't wait to share some of her creations when she's back :) she has always been interested in cooking and is an excellent baker.

10. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Finally busted out the Instant Pot. My buddy says it'll do pot roast in 45 minutes. I'll let you guys know in 40 minutes how it comes out. Threw in 4 cloves of garlic, 1 full onion, 3 chopped carrots, a handful of chopped baby bellas, and a 3lb boneless chuck. On the steaming rack went 4 halved Yukon Gold potatoes. Tossed in some salt, pepper, thyme, a bay leaf, a little Worcestershire, some chicken stock (didn't know I was out of beef stock) and a splash of sherry. The pressure is building now so hopefully it does what it claims.

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Slade

Slade Member

I use a regular stovetop pressure cooker on fair occasion, but I have never heard of an instant pot. Looking forward to finding out how it turns out.

12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Took like 5 minutes to heat up and then the timer started. So 50 minutes total. The IP tried to set itself at :35 but I turned it up to :45 as per my buddy's instructions. (He's the one that put me on this thing). I used the "sauté" setting first to sear up the meat and then deglaze the pot, once that was done I put it on meat/stew and let it do its thing once I popped the top on. This is easily the most tender pot roast I've ever made and it was under an hour between prep and cooking. I'm sold on this Instant Pot and will recommend it for just the pot roast never mind anything else that it's capable of. This meat cuts with a fork and has the texture of soft butter. Vegetables were also cooked through including the halves potatoes.

IMG_2334.JPG IMG_2339.JPG IMG_2341.JPG IMG_2340.JPG

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Bushy's MountainMan Scramble

normally I start with bacon, sausage, ham steaks all chopped up chunky, but I have not shopped lately....also had no onions or cheese.........:oops:

start with above ingredients (except onions and cheese) in a cast iron pan. Fry them well and drain the grease.

in a second cast on or steelpan, fry up some chunked spuds. When done saute chunked onions, green peppers, garlic (LOTS, like a bulb or two or three) in the same pan. Add a 1/4 stick of butter and mix in well, along with lots of cubed up heavy bread, like rye or sourdough. Fry until the bread is nicely toasted. Add the meat.

now add in 3 - 10 whisked eggs and about 2 lbs old sharp aged cubed cheddar. Mix in and use a fork to stir and flip everything around. Add salt, coarse pepper, and a lil heat in the form of cayenne

serve with ketchup and Siracha sauce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with all the ingredients, its about 10,000 calories. Should tide you over in the cold woods until lunch :cool:

Slade, Zeek and koolaidnd like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ok i want to make this......walk me thru it!

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

So I fully intended to load up the pack today, drive for an hour to Hobo Camp #1 ,in the woods, where i can have a fire in the cold and snow, and cook food in my tri - leg dutch oven.

soo got up stupid early this morning, dosed up on KICK ASS coffee and went shopping.

and came back, sat down on the bed to scratch PipSqueak and Miss Copper, and I fell back asleep under a warm blanket and two big kitties. For most of the day.....

so instead of cooking by a nice campfire, i used the oven instead....

presenting the JAD / DPxHEAT / LODGE roast. Spuds, Summer Sausage, Carrots, Garlic and olive oil and salt/spices

prepping with the DPx HEAT that JAD gave me for Christmas

[​IMG]

garlic, lots of garlic. Its good for ya

[​IMG]

this weee little 6" Lodge tri-legged camp dutch oven is fast becoming my favorite for solo cooking.

[​IMG]

mixing the olive oil and seasoning and veggies and meat in a cast iron pot, to evenly coat everything with olive oil and seasoning

[​IMG]

all ready to go in the little dutch oven

[​IMG]

instead of campfire embers under and on top of the dutch oven, I was forced to use the electric oven. GAH!

[​IMG]

more, its roasting right now.

half pound of aged sharp strong cheddar on top, and under the broiler with the lid off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Slade likes this.
  16. jeeter

jeeter Member

My Christmas dinner: smoked pork ribs! :D

Marinade overnight in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, celery seed, garlic, and cayenne. Then dry rubbed with Smokey C's. Then mixed the marinade with a bunch of BBQ sauce and brushed it on the ribs every 15 minutes or so. Plus some beer for myself.

The round bread things are Argentine style tortillas.
    [​IMG]

My 9 year old helping split pear wood with the machete.
    [​IMG]

This was right at the start. It got a lot smokier as the day went on.:D
    [​IMG]

The end result:
    [​IMG]

8 lbs of ribs smoked for 5 hours. Delicious!

Bushman5, Zeek, Slade and 2 others like this.
  17. Slade

Slade Member

It's the season, so thought I would crostpost from @Zeek 's jerky thread in hopes of inspiring more of you to make some. And more food pictures ya? http://www.eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/deer-jerky-recipe.2074/#post-36775

My last jerky prep. This is long gone. Need to make some more. Started out with two lean eye of round beef roasts that I trimmed up. Spotted them at the store and they inspired the jerky. I definitely prefer venison but it was nice to work with these larger cuts. I usually layer the meat and paint a layer of sauce between every piece so it's all exposed to marinade. I let it sit overnight.

The meat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cuts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The heap
    [​IMG]

The Sauce
    [​IMG]

18. Slade

Slade Member

My prep from last night. My fairly cheap starting product. Ended up with 11 Oz of fat/silver skin trimmings. Not too bad since I started with 9.7 lbs. not as lean as the last I got.
    [​IMG]

Trimmed and ready for kmifework.
    [​IMG]

Half way
    [​IMG]

Eyeballed ingredients. I ended up making a bunch of changes based on taste. Heat via chipotle, cayenne, and fresh ground black pepper.
    [​IMG]

You can get a bit of idea of the thickness of the sauce once the dry spices are mixed in by the whisk marks left behind in the sauce. Used some sweet baby rays and A1 for the wet team.
    [​IMG]

Layered before painting each layer with marinade. Ended up with 6 Qts of marinating jerky.

[​IMG]

Loading the dehydrator for the reward tonight.

24 hour marinate. 8 trays, 1 dehydrator, 9 pounds of beef plus marinade weight. I have a second dehydrator but it wasn't needed this time. Should have jerky in about 5-6 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I need to make a batch of jerky.

Slade likes this.
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member

Made the long journey to the Italian store today and purchased some of their store made sausage...
    tmp_26452-20161230_135625-1128494210.jpg
    tmp_26452-20161230_141135452647824.jpg
    tmp_26452-20161230_144423-2129319079.jpg