Creating a decent “5 C’s” kit apx $100.00

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Stayinsharp, May 7, 2022.

1. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Ok everybody. We all know times are tough all over. So it’s in times like these that people begin to ponder the ideas of getting discount kits together. Whether it’s by starting new, affordable hobbies like hiking and bushcraft or for those trying to lose those extra 10 Covid pounds, many are starting to enter this world of the woods. The more people that are less than experienced that are entering the woods, the more of a duty we on this forum have to share our wealth of knowledge of skills and gear to to the newbies. This has me thinking. Can you put a permanent “5 C’s” kit together today for right around $100. I’m not talking a dollar store challenge. I’m talking a real kit that if one chose these items, they’d never really need to upgrade unless they wanted to. Here’s my go at it….

1. Cutting Tool- First off and most importantly the cutting tool: Mora Garberg (C) or (S). I know, I know. You can get by with a companion HD. But this is a 5 c kit that will never need upgrades. In my opinion. Go with the Garberg C. Right now it can be had for $62.51 on the Zon.

2. Container- Nalgene 32 oz or even the 48 oz BPA free bottle. Add a bottle cup from Ozark trail. $12.75 for the bottle $4.99 for the cup. Now I know what you’re thinking. A metal bottle is more versatile. I would maybe disagree. The plastic bottles are a bit more flexible in my opinion and when dropped they don’t dent…. I hate all the dents in my Klean Kanteen. The steel cup still allows one to boil, and cook should the need arise. Plus then you have two containers for less than one metal bottle. **bonus idea** use an old Gatorade bottle and a large Campbells soup can and have extra 2 container. That puts ya in a good spot for maintaining hydration and versatility.

3. Cordage- tough to recreate in the woods. Near impossible if you’re inexperienced. So here’s what I suggest. Go to the Dollar Tree. You can get 25 feet of paracord for $1.25. Get two of those hanks. And a roll of jute twine (usually come in 100– 200 foot rolls) for another 1.25. That’s 3.75 for at least 150 of useable cordage. ***Bonus*** the jute twine is a great tinder when broken down.

In my opinion, the above suggestions make up the hardest things to recreate in the wild. We’re at 84.00 (before tax). And have two “C’s” left. Now you could go about this conservatively, or go all in on a tarp and grab a Bic lighter and be in pretty good shape.
    For this kit, I’m going back to the dollar store…

4. Combustion- #1 Bic Lighter. (1.00) the worlds most common, versatile, easily accessible, easily used fire-starter in the world. Get one, leave it in the package to prevent accidental discharge of the lighter fluid. Keep it in the kit and forget about it. If you want, get a second one, wrap it in duck tape and put a loop of paracord around it and then wear it on a paracord necklace. That’s how I keep mine warm and dry on hikes. And I’ll never lose it. #2 (5 inch) ferro rod. Now this comes with a bit of a technicality. I have found the on the Zon for 2 for $9.98. So I’m gonna call it $5.00. You’ll only need one. These last a long long time. Best way to prep it, wrap the handle in duck tape and have a loop of paracord on it. Throw that on the necklace with the lighter. Good to go. Use the spine of the Garberg to throw gobs of sparks. (Hopefully the theme that many of these 5 C’s have been used in conjunction with each other).

Lastly….
    5. Cover- two large black trash bags (I already had these so at the worst I’ll count them as $.75??) and a heavy duty tarp from Harbor Freight (8.4x11.5) 9.99

That’s it everyone. For right at $101.49, anyone can throw together a sweet, reliable, affordable kit. I have taken the liberty to get everything seen above and will be adding photos of everything in use (for those visual learner types ;p ). Understanding that the Zon often does have fluctuating prices, this is a snapshot in time (5/7/22). Hope everyone is staying well, healthy and getting through these crazy times by blowing off some steam in the woods. (Btw, I assume that everyone has an old backpack lying around to throw these items in)

next week, I may try going even cheaper… a $75.00 bullet proof kit. If this one gets enough likes and comments, I’ll see what I can throw together.

As always, thank you to Dave Canterbury for coining the term “5 C’s of Survivability”. It’s a great concept and should be implemented in every outdoors kit.

stay safe. Stay sharp!
    E

Strigidae likes this.
  2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Very cool !