Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ASH

ASH Member

I just came across Snowy River on the Roku.

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. borrowed time

borrowed time Member

If you see me out in public and I'm laughing hystericly, it's because my imaginary friend stutters and has Tourettes.

Just don't stare and point at him, he's sensitive about it.

ASH, Bushman5 and Lost-n-the-woods like this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

I walked in the house earlier and then walked back out and asked my girlfriend where the clouds came from. I didn't expect it to be cloudy. She said that's the eclipse, I had forgotten all about it.

Bushman5 and TerryD like this.
  4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’ve been testing my camera for the last few weeks getting ready for todays Solar Eclipse…

Clouds blocked everything until about 5 minutes after Local max eclipse..

Then my camera would not take any photos because the eclipse was to dark….

By the time I figured out how to make it work.. Clouds were back.. 5 crappy photos is all I got… Not happy..

ASH and TerryD like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

6. TerryD

TerryD Member

I don't even try anymore. Any type of event like this never fails to be unobservable for me.

I just sat in the house and it was 100% cloudy outside and started to rain.

ASH and Bushman5 like this.
  7. TerryD

TerryD Member

Went out for a little hike today at Douthat State Park.

Been carrying this Ozark Trail poncho for probably 12 years and never needed it. Finally had to get it out today.

20240409_131415.jpg

Poor old dog keeps slowing down. She's about 10 now.

8. ASH

ASH Member

I went to the doctor this morning to see what he said about my MRI and get an injection in my knee. I went by a friend's automotive shop and visited with him for a while. I hadn't ate anything yet and was tempted to get some fast food. I was down to 199 when I weighed myself this morning and it was in-between breakfast and lunch, so I resisted. Until the gas light came on. The new station that I stopped at had a Chester's chicken and I had to go inside to pee, so I gave it a look. I got a small order of tater logs, I love those things and don't really remember when I had them last.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up some bacon and a couple other things for the weekend. About 2, I got hungry and decided to grill a hamburger steak. I figured that if I was going to heat up the grill I might as well cook some bacon too. Then while my hands were dirty from the hamburger patty, I figured I should make another one for some time later.

I put it all on the pit boss pellet grill and set it to 250, so that I wouldn't have to watch it too close. I went back to check on it a little later than I should have, but the dang thing never lit. I reset it because of the error code, but the heating element has gone out again. So I ended up hangry with a grill full of raw meat. I was ready to throw it all to the dog and give up.

I guess I'm going to bag it up and put it back in the fridge and cook the cubed steak that I picked up today.

9. ASH

ASH Member

I have a spare, I bought a 2 pack the last time it went out. But the bad part is I just had it all tore apart to vacuum the ashes, before I used it last. I was almost to the element then. At least I modified it last time, so it will be a little easier this time. I remember drilling a hole to make a screw easier to get to.

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

Man, I am tired of fighting with work, but at the same time, it's the only reason I stay. I tried to go back with a better attitude, after being out the last 2 plus weeks recovering from my wreck. But I get back just to find out that the director stood in front of my whole division in our classroom, and lied to us. It's just so mentally draining, fighting with them.

Bushman5 and TerryD like this.
  11. TerryD

TerryD Member

I know the feeling. A recent change of area has helped me but all of today was coping with my management's inability to properly order parts and plan work.

The job they gave us today isn't on the schedule till next Tuesday so the lockout wasn't even scheduled to happen yet, the parts were all over the place and it tool us nearly two hours to find a 15/16 wrench to do the work.

ASH likes this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

They hosted a lunch with the CO recently. The director sent out an email instructing anyone that was going to the meeting submit their questions for the CO to her beforehand. That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the luncheon.

Jtallen83, TerryD and Bushman5 like this.
  13. TerryD

TerryD Member

They have to make sure you're not going to ask for more money after their records setting year and huge bonuses.

ASH likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

I'm a government employee.

TerryD likes this.
  15. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

I'm sorry. ;)
    Recently retired from Federal Highway myself. You will not be happy as a government employee if you give a schit, that's my experience. I thought they hired me because I ran several successful projects around the country and they needed help with their projects...... right, they did like pointing at the resume when it suited but as for my mouth, not required, just stay in line. Barely kept the job my first evaluation was so poor, not conforming to travel policies and being too strict with the contractors, I negotiated my motel from $85 a night to $55 a night and used $700,000 less asphalt than they called for...... silly me using common sense in my daily routine. Luckily I was the kind of person their clients wanted around, I kept a very accurate up to date daily diary, and I only had to spend a week a year in the DC headquarters so very few even knew who I was, maybe an intern and an occasional absent all the time G12/13 for a "boss", otherwise I never would have made enough time to get retirement of any kind.
    Unless you feel like going to war just concentrate on that great home/work balance they allow and get the side hustle going, you can't fix them leading or following.

Strigidae, ASH and Bushman5 like this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

This month made 10 years of civil service. I started in 2005, made permanent around '08 and resigned in '12. I decided to give it another try in 2020, and I'm about done. My knee is getting well enough for me to get caught up on stuff around here and start breaking ground for my new shop.

TerryD and Jtallen83 like this.
  17. ASH

ASH Member

I stopped chewing tobacco last summer and I haven't been able to tolerate the bs, ever since. Things got so screwed up after COVID was released on us that it took over 2 years to get my scd and leave and everything straightened out. I seriously thought I was going to be fired for not submitting to them over the shot before they got my paperwork straightened out.

Jtallen83 and Bushman5 like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

19. ASH

ASH Member

I guess I feel a little like DAC I need some time off for bad behavior. I've been saving up the fu's, keeping them under my tounge.

I've been saving them up ever since they were threatening to fire me over the vaccine in '21. I've kept my head down and my mouth shut, until I was ready to go home. I've just been planning my escape, but now the fu's are running over.

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I don’t go that far. I let them have it .

it’s just a job , not worth the stress . Screw em if they treat you like dirt !

TerryD likes this.