Club Sebenza anyone??

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by mwramos76, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JonathonQuill

JonathonQuill Member

Hey everyone, MMW sent me a nudge via FB that I should swing over here. I made the transition from the old forum, where my handle was Crowdog, but I hadn't completed my acct. setup and subsequently forgot my password.
    Many thanks for the positive feedback on MMWs Sebenza as well as everyone that recommend me for the work.
    If you're on FB, join Quill Artistry for my private group. I keep it the most up to date with work, GAWs, et cetera. Other wise you can also find me on IG @JonathonQuill

Reno Lewis, C99c, BigJake and 5 others like this.
  2. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

About time you got over here. When are you going to do another run of snake shirts?

JonathonQuill likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Glad you made it back sir.

4. JonathonQuill

JonathonQuill Member

Hey boss! I was going to ask if there was any OG members in here still rocking the original QA Rule of 3 Shirts. I still wear mine, I love the fabric on those. Yes, that is actually in the works currently. This run will be a bit different than the T's. I want to do a limited run of more purpose driven wearables, a crew sweatshirt with sewn on waxed canvas utility pockets for pens/lights/ etcetera. Gen. shop/studio and campsite items and maybe wax canvas reinforcements at the elbow forearm section.

5. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I'd be interested in a sweatshirt, but mine don't typically wear at the elbows, just all around the pockets and the cuffs. Not too impressed with my most recent Carhartt rain defender.

Welcome back @JonathonQuill

6. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I still rock my t-shirt and definitely count me in on the next run

7. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

Figured this was a good place to ask this question. Perhaps a dumb question regardless, can anyone tell me if anodized Ti still gets snail trails? Thanks all. Have a great Friday.

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I'm sure it does. The anodizing will eventually wear away also.

9. JonathonQuill

JonathonQuill Member

Just a bit of mill grain beading around the thumb stud added a unique appearance. I can't personally discern any difference in feel.
    [​IMG]

IW17, Kaw-liga, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  10. artigas

artigas Member

Awesome work.

11. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Like Kyle said, it will gain snail trails, and the anno will wear away with use.

12. Stewart

Stewart Member

Does anyone know of an alternative for the Chris reeve greese? not paying 10 bucks plus shipping to NZ for a tiny tube when no doubt It can be bought in bulk.

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...yep me and the mate I gifted one to both still wear them. Just the other day I was explaining the meaning to my chiropractor as she tried to put my spine back where it all belonged... ;)

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  14. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

White lithium grease from Home Depot (it's marketed as garage door grease) seems super similar to me. I bought a giant tube of it for less than $10 and it looks and feels exactly like the CRK grease. I've used it on plenty of knives without issue, and I've also used Frog Lube grease on knives with good results. The Frog lube stuff is food safe if that matters to you.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lucas-Oil-8-oz-White-Lithium-Grease-10533/202535870

15. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I read Frog Lube is just coconut oil.

Stewart and Bcamos like this.
  16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

That's basically it, from what I can tell.

I've stopped putting it on my firearms because I've found after sitting in the safe for a few months, it becomes sticky and leaves behind a white residue. On a gun that gets shot often, it does fine. But if it had time to set for a while, it seems to deteriorate.

Delkancott likes this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

timdgsr likes this.
  18. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

and why does this bother you?

19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Sticky gun parts aren't good. Things don't move when you increase their friction and sticky parts have a lot of friction. I only mention the white residue because obviously the green paste that dried on clear did something during it's time in the safe to no longer become a green/clear paste.

I had a dead reliable AR that's gone thousands of rounds without a single malfunction. Last time I cleaned it I lubed it up with just a little bit of the Frog Lube, as usual, and sat it in the safe. I ran low on 5.56 ammo a while back so the rifles didn't see any target time. So they sat in the safe for quite a while (2-3months) and the other day I was checking on something on the AR and I cleared it. Once I was done doing whatever I was doing, I loaded the mag and pulled the charging handle. The bolt didn't ride completely forward. It had stripped a round, pushed the round into the chamber and stopped. I forced the bolt closed with the forward assist, ejected that round and the same thing happened. I did that for 5-6 rounds and swapped the mag. Same story. So I took the BCG out and realized it was sticky to the touch. I completely cleaned the entire BCG and put it back in dry. Same mag, still loaded to capacity. Bolt cycled flawlessly.

That was enough for me to not trust FrogLube to my defensive weapons.

20. timdgsr

timdgsr Member