Clip Point or not?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Boots, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Boots

Boots Member

I am a firm believer one can not have too many firearms or knives. I have plenty of both but am tinkling of adding a ESSE 4 to the bunch. What is the forum opinion of the clip point and thoughts on the serration version. My instinct is to not get either one but I am open to all input. My use will be daily use around the farm, and hunting. At this point in life I occasionally go camping with the grand children but that is not often.

mike and GaryMc like this.
  2. JAD

JAD Member

I like clip points, I do not care for serrations. And I cannot give you any reasons why. It is just what I like.

Upon further consideration I would probably buy a serrated edged knife if I was doing a large amount of rope work. But that doesn't sound like a "need" for you.

GaryMc and JMJ like this.
  3. JMJ

JMJ Member

I'll echo @JAD on serrations, I've had some combo edged blades and one spiderco delica that was fully serrated. I despised sharpening them and didn't do enough work around rope to justify keeping any serrated knives around.

I do like sharpened clip points on hunting knives, especially knives used for game processing. I've got an esee 3-CP that I convexed the shoulders of the clip point on then thinned and sharpened that I love for cleaning deer. I recently picked up a 6-CP and did the same modding to it for using on cleaning or finishing off deer and hogs.

GaryMc and JAD like this.
  4. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

A clip point knife is useless as a general bush knife. The point is designed to stab and back cut but it makes the point slightly weaker and makes batoning firewood nearly impossible. I would stay with a plain edge model. Mike

nathan shepherd likes this.
  5. Tyler

Tyler Member

I want a clip point three with a serrated clip, plain primary edge.

6. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Member

I have a CP 4 plain edge I keep on a battle belt. I am not really a fan. It's the only CP Esee I own.

7. Boots

Boots Member

I think I will go to with the regular blade, as i have no need for some stabbing and the stronger tip might be helpful.

8. JMJ

JMJ Member

Probably a good idea unless you've got a few bushcrafting blades in that size range. I had a few before I picked up my first clip point, and now I still want a plain 6.