Calling a Fox...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Finally (somewhat) moved into the new house. It's been a very long two weeks for me, and our move in process has been a hard one. We have the necessities in, painters are here today to paint the bedrooms and repair some walls in the closets. This was all stuff my Dad was going to be helping with, and something I'm not very knowledgeable on. So I had to get a contractor in to take care of it for me, despite the costs.

Anyway, moved all the animals over the other day and I noticed we had a visitor sniffing around the barn when I pulled up. The truck's headlights lit him up as he was scurrying off back into the woods. It was most definitely a Fox.

I went around this morning and found his den in the woods. I have a predator call that my Dad gave me a few years ago, it's got a moving decoy to go with it. Since I have our hens and ducks here now, I'd like to go ahead and take care of the Fox. I'm guessing I can just put the decoy and call speaker in the field and let it go until he gains interest and checks it out.

What time is best for this, and should I include any scents to go with it? We've had some pretty high winds the past few days, so I assume that might help. I would trap him, but I literally have no clue what I'd do with him after that. So I figured a quick dispatch with 5.56 is probably best.

GaryMc likes this.
  2. BigJake

BigJake Member

A quick dispatch in the trap would work too. :D

3. Nether

Nether Member

In my experience, animals ( including foxes ) are generally most active in the 5-8am and 5-8pm range.

I understand you gotta do what you got to do. But still, It's a shame you have to kill it tho. We had one under our chicken coup. Never went after our chickens at all. She was just there to give birth and when the coyotes came too close to her babies she would run up to our house and call us till we came out to chase the coyotes away. I used to sit real still on a blanket and her pups would come to within 10-15ft from me, before nerves got the better of em.

By the way, if you are hesitant to kill, there are ways to shoot and not have it killed, but also not having it come near your place again. i.e. shoot it's tail or very close to it. That actually works sometimes. But depends on how good a shot you are. Just sayin......

JMJ likes this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yeah but there's no sport in that! I'd rather say I hit a sprinting target at 100yds.

5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I agree, I've generally always liked Foxes and I know some people actually have domesticated them as pets.

If we didn't have the birds, I'd just let it be. The goats and horses would never be bothered by it. But after losing my entire flock to a Weasel last year, I'm not willing to let more money/food go to waste, especially now that I know the Fox is around.

JMJ likes this.
  6. Nether

Nether Member

Understandable. If he is smart he'll avoid you :)

7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Agreed. I've already checked out the stall we're using as a coop and I don't see any signs of digging. The entire thing is closed in with Chicken wire so its only way in is under. If he ends up avoiding me and leaving the birds alone, I'll probably just give up. Which is why I didn't screw with the Den I found in the woods. Figured I'll at least keep the fight fair.

JMJ likes this.
  8. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Is his den on your property? Setup the call up and put a trial cam overlooking the den to see when he is active.

Maybe and electric wire around pens.

9. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yeah it's on my land. I don't have any trail cams, but there's a few in my Dad's hunting stuff (I know I keep bringing him up, I'm sorry. I've been doing it in real life too) that I haven't picked up from their house yet. I may just do that if I don't end up calling him in.

10. Nether

Nether Member

You're a good dude, B. I've heard stories of guys gut shooting "predators" they don't want on their land so it runs away, dying somewhere off their land or where they don't have to deal with it. That really bothers me. I realize with protected predators, like wolves, they feel they have no choice. But I'd still shoot to kill and bury it afterwards.

JMJ likes this.
  11. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Brother, NEVER appologize for remembering and mentioning your Dad and to be honest, when you do it brings a tear to my eye as I empathize with you. While I can't feel the intensity of your pain, it does not leave me unaffected.

Bcamos, GaryMc, JMJ and 2 others like this.
  12. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Justin, I know this has nothing to do with your OP, but as I was trying to fall asleep your post kept coming to mind and I wanted to offer some thoughts.

The time for mourning is not past. It is natural and normal for your Dad to occupy your thoughts. You have a lot of firsts coming: first Thanksgiving without him, first Christmas, your first birthday, his first birthday, the first Father's Day, if you and he hunted together then the first opening day, and so on. Each one will renew the pain of losing him, but it will lessen as you come to focus more on what he left you rather than the manner in which he was taken from you. Coming to cherish the time you had with him will help to diminish the pain of the future you lost in his passing.

Don't let your kids forget him. You lost your Dad, but they lost their Granddad. You would not be the man you are without him having been part of your life. Remember him and don't worry if he is a part of your conversations. Allowing yourself to talk about him or even just mentioning him will help to reinforce your memories, maybe even allow you to remember things long overlooked or forgotten. Lessons that he taught you will take on more meaning or reveal other insights from him as you mull over events and conversations you shared with him.

It will not be easy, but you will get through it.

13. JAD

JAD Member

I like hearing stories about your dads, from all you guys on here. Don't ever stop talking about your parents no matter the circumstances.

GaryMc and JMJ like this.
  14. JMJ

JMJ Member

I agree with this 100% ATS, excellent post! Justin my heart goes out as well to you and your family, personally I haven't lost a parent just grandparents and close friends. As ATS said it will stay with you for years and what used to sadden will eventually bring a smile to your face or glint to your eye when you remember good times. Emac and I had a very close friend die at our feet on a highway in Arkansas 10 years ago between another friends wedding and reception the day before his birthday of October 1st. For the last 10yrs my archery opener is dedicated to my close friend and hunting buddy.

Never a need to apologize for remembering and mentioning someone you cared for deeply!

elgatoloco and GaryMc like this.
  15. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Well said you guys and I agree we want you to talk about your dad and we know it is helping you.

GaryMc likes this.
  16. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

I would keep him in.

Rats, weasels, mouse will be taken care of.

Electric fence is something to consider tho;)

JMJ and GaryMc like this.
  17. olderguy

olderguy Member

I think foxes are pretty cool animals. If he's not doing anything wrong give him a chance to prove himself a problem then do what you have to. JMHO

elgatoloco likes this.
  18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Thanks man, and I've started to notice exactly what you're talking about. Little lessons he used to teach me, that seemed pointless at the time, have started to take on new meanings.

My step-mom, who is the closest thing to a real mother that I've ever had, is finally starting to take it a little better. I'm sure her family/my step-sister got in her head early on because she actually started to distance herself from me and my biological sister about a week ago. I've stayed on it though, letting her know that we're still family and that we still love her like a mother. She's still the grandmother to my kids and I'm still here for her. After that, she's started to go back to normal. We'll see, I hope it doesn't end up changing anything.

AddictedToSteel and JMJ like this.
  19. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

The bible refers to a married couple as two becoming one. You may have lost a father, but she may feel more like she has been cut in half. It is good that you are looking out for her and helping her to know that being "mom" is more than sharing DNA.

JMJ likes this.
  20. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Gave him a chance. He killed all 5 of my ducks last night. Little bastard is getting called into the field and getting a bullet in him.