Ask Expat: why is the benchmade bugout the bench made soldout?

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by BeaverCleaver, Aug 19, 2017.

1. BeaverCleaver

BeaverCleaver Member

We once had the Oracle at Delphi, now we have to turn to The Cleaverguy for answers.

Why is a smallish blue folding knife disappearing offshelves*? Sure the axis lock is nice, it's high quality steel, but there are plenty of similar knives. Is it the name? Are there that many people prepared to flee to the mountains, armed with small folding knives?

Is it blue? I have to admit I expected kryptek invisininja scales, but blue is pretty.

Reveal to those is us outside the industry what is going on? Should I stop wandering around town with a meat cleaver dangling from my belt and get a teeny blue knife? I have to admit chicks do not dig it :(

*are there shelves on the internet?

mtngoat likes this.
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

It's simple. I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm going to give you guys the secret to the entire knife industry. I'm betraying the rules of the Grand Mystic of the Royal Order of the Nobles of the Alibaba Temple of the Knife Makers, but so be it.

If you peek behind any knife company's curtain, you will expect to see: metallurgists, scientists, blade smiths, craftsmen, outdoorsmen, and users of sharpened steels that have thoroughly evaluated grinds, hardnesses, metals, handle materials, balance, corrosion resistance, profiles, and locking mechanisms. You'd think it would be really, really crowded behind the curtain, but when you get there, you realize, it's just two guys--a web designer and a marketer. Anything that has been released to the knife industry in the past 200 years, has been done so 100% from a marketing standpoint. I don't care if you are talking about Jim Bowie's meteorite knife that can defend you from all sandbar duels, to Kephart's funky design, to Randall Made's Model 1 that saved the US from Nazis, to perhaps the greatest snooker of all time (the "importance" of the RC Hardness number!) all the way to the unnecessary sharpened pry bars of the 90's and 2000's, to the bushcrafters of today, (who don't use the same bushcraft knives for their weekend bushcrafting that true bushcrafters of the 3rd world have been using for centuries.)

All of these knives have all been released and colored and designed in the quantity they are, in the distribution way they are, and "sold out" like they are for one reason and one reason only--maximize sales. Period. To get money from YOUR pocket into THEIR pocket.

Being scarce is no new tactic; don't fall for it. DeBeers has millions of diamonds locked up in its vault to make diamonds seem scarce in the real world so people pay $10k for one that has an intrinsic value of $3.79.

Can you handle the truth?

(By the way, the only unique knife company that has ever existed, has defied all of the above characterizations, and truly does put out a product that makes you happy and healthy, and cheap at twice the price is Expat® Knives. We stand alone as a paragon of virtue and value in an otherwise corrupt and deceitful marketplace.)

Not Sure and BeaverCleaver like this.
  3. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Is it true Expat, that you only started a knife (sticker) company, so you can try and get Salma Hayek to be your spokesperson/brand ambassador?

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  4. BeaverCleaver

BeaverCleaver Member

Someone sent me a link once that someone from Esee (Jeff?) posted where he said something like "oh whatever, buy our knives, a Becker or k bar, it doesn't make any difference" lol

5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I keep trying different approaches...eventually one will work.

Mack and DiscoveryLover like this.
  6. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Maybe a little off topic but ironically enough, I was just telling someone this yesterday. I read about it years ago when I was researching diamond rings.