Ash's Hat Emporium

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ASH, Mar 18, 2024.

1. ASH

ASH Member

My neighbor seemed to really like the hat. He said he's been trying hats on when he sees them, but he hadn't found anything.

2. ASH

ASH Member

I just tried to buy a Resistol Touch of mink hat, but I got outbid. It was a beautiful $2000 hat, it was just too big in size and brim for me to keep bidding.

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@ASH
    Where were you able to get your hat "mold" / block?

4. ASH

ASH Member

I found it on eBay, the same seller had one a little smaller and oxidized for about $60. The one I got is marked "22", I assume that's 22 inches. I think the other one they had was "21.5". I think my head is just under 23", so I don't have to worry about stretching my hats out with it.

I've been wanting to post some more hats, but my knee has been bothering me from the wreck.

TerryD likes this.
  5. ASH

ASH Member

I think the difference in a block and a mold is that blocks are wooden and molds tend to be metal.

I think one of the biggest considerations on chosing a size is the sweatband. They say you should use a size larger block to leave room for the sweatband, if you are making a hat. Typically the sweatband is not going to fit over the size block that fits the hat.

You have to either make do with a small enough block to fit through the sweatband or take the sweatband out.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  6. ASH

ASH Member

Before I found the mold that I have, I bought plastic head to shape against. It's way undersized though, so you can only work on a section at the time.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I was looking around and the real molds are pretty pricey...

I might try and eventually make my own mold. I see alot listed online as "X" number of pieces. It doesn't look like it would be to hard with a chop saw and belt sander to make a usable mold.

My biggest problem is that the top esp looses shape and it looks like a bulge sitting on the top of my hat... Trying to keep the shape shown below.

[​IMG]

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

@ASH

can you give me a quote on a hat like Neil Young wore in his epic Hey Hey My My song
    on his tour in 1985? I’d like a 1” purple band , the union brass pin , and grey hat felt

I’ll measure my head in a few days

IMG_7613.png IMG_7614.png IMG_7617.png IMG_7618.png IMG_7623.png IMG_7628.png IMG_7626.png IMG_7625.png

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

No rush . Ok wait a year if need be

ASH likes this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

It depends on what you are working with. Those factory teardrop crowns are done with a mold in a press, making them permanent. Whatever the factory shape is, if it's pressed in, it's going to want to go back to that shape.

Some hats are easier to hand shape than others. I've heard that a lot of the modern Stetsons don't take steam well and end up with warped brims. That's why I'm more particular about keeping my vintage hats nice.

Is your head pushing the top out? I've found that some crowns are too small for a teardrop.

If you can get it hand shaped like you want it, you can lock that shape in with steam. If the felt is too floppy to hold a shape, you may need to stiffen it. It's kind of controversial, but you can use hairspray. You can also buy hat stiffener, I plan to test out some aerosol (real) shellac. I don't know if it's still used, but shellac was traditionally used in hat making.

11. ASH

ASH Member

Neil's hat looks like a clone of a Open Road body with a wider band and raw edge instead of bound. I think his hat is taupe colored, more than likely. The stage lights make the band look purple.

IMG_20240409_105207562_HDR.jpg IMG_20240409_105323443_HDR.jpg

This is an Akubra camp draft, open road clone.

Bushman5 and KnOeFz like this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

Neil's hat is similar to my work hat, except for color, band and pins.

IMG_20240409_110906387_HDR.jpg

I think his hat has a larger crown, like the vintage open road or the modern 1865 model. I think my work hat may be in-between in crown size.

Bushman5 and KnOeFz like this.
  13. ASH

ASH Member

I was looking around https://magillhats.com/ they have some really nice hats, but no gray. Check out ktg hats too, Kevin Todd Gerber, he has custom runs done at magill for his new line of hats.

Bushman5 likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

IMG_20240409_114847888_HDR.jpg IMG_20240409_114859930_HDR.jpg

This is a cool old hat. Bradford Beaver "35".

KnOeFz and Jtallen83 like this.
  15. ASH

ASH Member

Bushy, 2 other hats that I suggest you give a look are the Akubra Stylemaster or their Federation IV.

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

I bought a used custom hat from Jaxonbilt on eBay. It says that it's been delivered. It's another light colored open road style hat. It's funny to me that I like those hats so well, considering I don't like cattleman's creases. I only have one hat with a cattleman's crease but it's a proper cowboy hat and I probably wouldn't wear it that way.

17. ASH

ASH Member

I received a Stetson Premier Stratoliner today. Unfortunately the seller folded it in to a square.

IMG_20240422_171657432_HDR.jpg IMG_20240422_171702198_HDR.jpg IMG_20240422_171620012.jpg

Strigidae and Jtallen83 like this.
  18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Can you fix it?

ASH likes this.
  19. ASH

ASH Member

I can, it's just aggravating that they did that. It wasn't like that on eBay, they stuffed it in too small of a box.

Strigidae likes this.
  20. ASH

ASH Member

It's a whole lot better. IMG_20240423_211722732.jpg

TerryD, Strigidae and Jtallen83 like this.