American Made Series: Carhartt

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

And Bean boots!

2. Stone

Stone Member

Those legume boots required an adjustment for me. That's the first pair I've ever owned, but since I live in Bean's home state, and they were reportedly designed to deal with Maine environments -- especially mud, marshes (which are everywhere) and snow (a lot more of that in yesteryear than now), I had to try a pair.

They're insulated, but not well. They're a pain to lace up (all holes, no hooks), and fit on my narrow foot is not great. I need a really thick pair of socks for them to work right. But the weirdest part was the sole: it's not shaped right for me for walking in snow. Needed to be flatter -- as it is, they're slightly rounded or cradled from side to side -- and with way more aggressive traction, especially for snow, in which they can be slick. A bit better in mud, but still, not enough traction. They see limited use these days. I actually tried to sell them once on Craig's List, but when nobody wanted them, I kept them and adjusted, using them for limited use (especially rain and mud).

For snow, I picked a pair of Muck Boots -- specifically their Arctic Sport with 17" tops, insulated to (they claim) about -20F (maybe for a while), but totally bomber traction -- more like you'd find on a good hiking boot. And they fit like a glove even on my feet (finding boots for me has always been challenging). Once snow hits, when I'm in the woods, they're on my feet. We got 7" of fresh powder on Monday. I've been out walking in the woods adjacent my apartment a couple of times. But today I found a snowmobile trail just about 200' from my front door, all tamped down for easy walking, and it runs for miles through heavily wooded areas, especially to the north, running all the way (7 mi) to the largest lake in the area. (Pics coming).

But they're great for marshes also. And when I lived on one of the coastal peninsulas two winters ago, I also walked in the Atlantic in them almost every day for five months (while I lived there). Some of the best, most comfortable, useful boots I've ever owned. They're like the Carhartt's of boots (though I also own a pair of Carhartt boots; ankle high hikers; besides my sandals (in warm seasons), I wear them more than any other footware I own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Majord

Majord Member

I buy over 60 pair of Carhartt pants a year! Seriously I'm a purchasing agent for a school district maintenance department. We have a staff of 15 and we all receive Carhartt pants as part of our work uniform. Admittedly a welcome perk. I've had to work with a few vendors over the years due to small business closings but my current vendor is outstanding. I have only seen a few warranty issues after years of buying Carhartt and literally hundreds of pants. I think I've tried every style and material they make. I don't provide coats but I think every guy here owns a coat and or overalls both.

4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Wearing carhartt fleece lined pants and a hoodie and jacket today. And a made in USA carhartt hat. 'Tis cold outside.

5. Zeek

Zeek Member

I have the Arctic Sport boots. Love them but they only last me a year before cracking near the toe. I use them everyday to walk the dog, about a mile per day year round. LL Bean replaced my first pair with their 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed policy. Now my second pair is also cracked. I think I'll try something else for my next pair.

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

7. Stone

Stone Member

I def don't put 300 mi/yr on my Muckboots. Far less. Can't venture a guess, but I'd say 80% of time, I'm walking in snow when I'm wearing them. (Now that I no longer live on the ocean, where I liked to walk in them ... that is, in the ocean, looking at sea creatures and stuff.) And in snow, without snowshoes, I'm pretty slow and deliberate. :)