Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ASH

ASH Member

Visible won't let me upload pictures.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Nice Hat but Coober Pedy is a s#itty town :D

Bushman5 and ASH like this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

I think I want a stylemaster, but other than the snap brim it's about the same as the coober pedy. I think I have the bluegrass color, it's a nice green. The picture may load this time, but then again it stalled out at 100% earlier.

IMG_20240306_091108213_HDR.jpg

RocketmanDane and TerryD like this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

I almost rolled my girlfriend's jeep when another car pulled out in front of me this morning. It happened about 5 miles from where I had the wreck Tuesday. Makes me think that maybe it's a sign that I need to quit going to work.

5. ASH

ASH Member

I forgot to set an alarm and my girlfriend's phone didn't charge, so I didn't go to work today. She says it was meant to be, but I was planning to go today to schedule off next week. We talked more about the new barn , looks like we're going forward with it. I think if I keep working for a year that I can have it paid for.

Bushman5 and TerryD like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

The Marsh Gorilla and TerryD like this.
  7. TerryD

TerryD Member

Tried my hand at darning. Not bad considering it's my first try. The hole is gone at least.

20240310_154701.jpg

Yesterday I rehung my splitting maul. It had been loose on its old handle for years and nothing I did ever helped. Now it's good and tight on a new handle.

I'll treat it with linseed oil a few more times and then I'm going to look for some leather to wrap around the handle below the head to protect it. I'm a pretty sorry shot with any axe.

8. ASH

ASH Member

I bought a hat from Michigan on Feb 24, it made it to Orlando, FL on the 28th. Then it went to Jacksonville to Mobile to Pensacola back to Jacksonville and now it's in Puerto Rico.

TerryD likes this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

My knee has blown up and has been killing me since the wreck. I was about ready to cut it off Saturday night. I think it's going to heal on it's own, my doctor has me on Prednisone. The insurance company is wanting me to settle, but I'm not even back walking yet.

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

My knee is getting better, the swelling has gone down a lot. I was finally able to stand up and play with steaming some hats. I tried to give my akubra a flanged/snap brim. I have an antique brim mold ordered, maybe I will get better results with it. I'm happy with the finished shape that I got, it just doesn't have much snap. The front still wants to stay down, but I don't plan to wear it up anyway. I just wanted it to snap down harder in front than I received it. It does have some snap to the back now though so I can wear it up, if I want.

I want to wear it, but I can't get this 3xbeaver open road off my head. It's so pretty that I didn't want to take it out of the box and get it dirty for a couple weeks. And I don't need the bigger brim of the akubra when I'm just sitting around, recovering. IMG_20240314_132017059.jpg

Strigidae, Jtallen83 and TerryD like this.
  11. borrowed time

borrowed time Member

If there's a God, why the hell did he put a raw sewage drain right next to a recreation area?!?

:D

Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  12. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Don't blame him, no doubt it was an Engineer's idea, you can talk to them all day long and it's like you never said a word.;)

13. ASH

ASH Member

Ari Shafer did a bit about it would have been better on the bottom of the foot. It was funny, but sounds painful when you think about it.

borrowed time likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

I came home from the doctor today to a nice, new to me hat. In what world does it make sense for me to spend $175 on a hat to wear in place of a $125 hat that I don't want to mess up? It only makes sense because the less expensive hat is harder to replace.

Even at $175 this is a second hand, factory second hat, I don't think it was ever worn. It's considered a promo hat, I think they hat bodies that didn't pass QC and make non standard hats with them. They do the same thing with their 6x Boss of the plains model. I was on the waiting list for one, Stetson emailed that they were in stock, but I have decided I don't care much for the stiff western felt.

This hat is the softer dress felt, it has a 2.75" brim like an open road but has a lower profile crown. I just don't care for the factory cattleman's crease on new open roads. It looks like a camel toe on your head.

IMG_20240315_145547690_HDR.jpg

I thought I wanted a larger crown, but even the open road comes with a smaller crown now unless you get the 1865 model. What I really wanted is a green akubra camp draft or Bushman, the open crown, open road clone. They seem to be special ordered only right now though, but I think I like this one. It looks good, I wish it had a real leather sweat band. That might be an interesting project for a leather worker that I know.

Jtallen83, Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Softer flexible felt is way nicer in my opinion too.

16. TerryD

TerryD Member

In proper ADHD fashion, I just ordered a basic leather working kit from ScAmazon and some scrap leather to try my hand making axe masks.

Another task I will have the ability to perform eve if I'm not a master.

17. ASH

ASH Member

That's a project that I haven't started, but I have several waiting.

I bought a few more hats, I can't wait for this knee to heal so I can get started with my new building.

TerryD likes this.
  18. ASH

ASH Member

We got our fiber optic Internet hooked up today. I can actually upload pictures now.

Bushman5, TerryD and Strigidae like this.
  19. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Lets see some hats.

ASH likes this.
  20. ASH

ASH Member

I have a project planned, just waiting on the mail lady. I bought a fairly cheap 4x Stetson/Tony llama that I want to turn into something different.

Bushman5 and TerryD like this.