Your 2019 goals & purchases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Post up your goals & future purchases for 2019. Note i said goals, and NOT "resolutions" (resolutions never happen after January....)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mine:

- get the diesel jeep replacement turbo and install it. Its been way too damn long (almost 2 years now) (mostly due to USD to CAD $ exchange rates ). I'm just going to bite the bullet and drop the $2500 on the turbo and turbo install kit. Will most likely also have to repair a few other things due to the 4x4 sitting for long (brakes, brake lines, coolant flush to remove the rust, intercooler flush to remove the mice) etc)

- get the old Mazda going again....i miss driving the old BushTruck. Its dirt cheap to run and fix (less than $5000 not including insurance and fuel , in 29 years) and i'm paying $125 a month insurance to keep it insured so i can park it on the street (only spot i have for it). (To be fair....it costs about $175 to $200 a month to rent a parking spot at a storage place.... might as well just insure it and park it by the apt)

- Get the BushTracker 4x4 timing belt and water pump and lift kit suspension done. Like the BushTruck , I pay $140 a month to keep it insured so i can park it on the street (only spot I have)

- Get Dad's Mazda repaired (damage from the crack addicts). Need bodywork and door locks. Get alarm system with visible warning led lights installed.

- reduce the number of DIY/prototype projects, research papers, etc that i have ongoing. 35+ projects is too much and 75% of them are not getting done and are sitting stagnant.

- ease off on knife buying (just a bit). Dropped a lot of money this year on some wicked blades (ZERO REGRETS). Going to limit myself to one nice knife purchase a month and that will depend on how much overtime I pull down.

- increase the amount of $$ i save. (i already started by diverting $25 a week off my bank account, towards my TFSA (tax free saving account). I plan to increase that to $100 a week (we get paid weekly) by March

- do even more adventures.

- do even more extreme adventures.

- send in the damn paperwork for my Restricted & Non Restricted firearms license. Been way too many years that the paperwork has sat on my desk. I have the clearance required to get the license to own Restricted & Non Restricted firearms in Canada, but have just never bothered.

- get the GARRET ATX PRO DeepSeeker metal detector i have wanted to buy for the last ten years, and go explore BC, Canada with it.

- take a week off work sometime next year and drive over to Port Alberni with web gear and hang out with @Reno Lewis and family, drink beers, eat a lot of seafood and grilling food and go hiking.

thats all I think of right now. (oh, do the dishes at least once every 2 weeks :D )

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I want to get out more. Finnish my sleeping kit. I just want lightweight warmth in winter! And really that’s it. I’ve been depressed this last year and am working on recovering. Most days I hate and doubt myself but when I’m in the woods that fades away. I hate my job but gotta pay bills so I keep on keeping on. More wood time will help me a lot

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Due to ongoing health issues I hardly spent anytime in the bush last year (by comparison to my usual adventures), need to get it sorted (probably a surgery but working on a non surgical solution) so I can live life like the way want. Probably start work on another house (with a developer, build up a house/land package somewhere) before 2019 is done, a rental, not to live in.

4. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

Goal #1- survive another year
    #2- be the best dad I can be. My time to be a dad will almost assuredly be shorter than most. I need to pack as much good dad stuff into my kids lives as I can while I can.
    #3- purge a bunch of packs and knives acquired in the “perfect pack and knife” pursuit that for one reason or another just didn’t make the cut. Put some of that money towards a Kifaru Tarryall. I don’t need a dozen packs that I’m not using and at least as many knives that sit in a drawer, and just in case I don’t survive, I don’t want my wife to have so much crap to try to get rid of. I do need one really good pack for hiking with my family, and the Tarryall checks off every single box.
    #4- stop wanting every new knife someone else posts and use the ones I have

Zeek, OKcherokee, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

We think alike. Check out this months challenge Bushy. I swear i had no idea.

My goal is to gear up for learning to duck hunt.

Bushman5 and BlueDogScout like this.
  6. TuffPossumGear

TuffPossumGear Member

Specific goals:
    Goal 1. No new knife purchases.
    Goal 2. Much more time out in the woods
    Goal 3. Get fit. I am not "out of shape" per say. 5'8" and 135lb, but my endurance/cardio/arm strength sorely needs work to get where I want to be. I can't let myself get out of shape, despite working behind a sewing machine.
    Goal 4. Maybe find a decent non-cultural/western primal self defence class/training to attend
    Goal 5. Buy or make a decent large, backpacking backpack. Probably a Hill People Gear Ute or QuiYa.

Big picture goals boil down to: streamline my life, love people, honor God, and grow my business.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    DYSPHORIC JOY and BlueDogScout like this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Hope you all the best! Get better!

8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Lol that’s what I’ve been doing the last few months. My problem is I think things will check every box then they don’t. I hope you have better luck than me. The knife thing is hard. I’m debating between the PR4 and JG5 with the PR4 leading but the GNS and genesis haunt me... lol then I saw the Becker video on their Kephart... sigh oh and my SAK I want the little hook thingy on it (I carry the farmer) but the smallest model with it is the field master and I think it’s too big but I want that hook! You sir have a great year ahead lol

Creaky Bones likes this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Member

• Prioritize maintaining a decent fitness baseline - as I get older it's harder to get it back if I let it slip.
    • Use what I have, purge what I don't use.
    • Continue exploring the vast public land that surrounds me.
    • Continue being diligent about saving for retirement, so it can hopefully happen sooner than later.
    • Motivate to get to IDPA more frequently, and attend more formal training opportunities with quality instructors.
    • If I buy a new knife, I need to sell at least one I already have.
    • Only one firearm purchase in 2019 (not counting the one I already have on layaway...:D)
    • Read more actual books.

10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I agree with the read more! I received 6 new books at Christmas and I am halfway through the last one.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

DYSPHORIC JOY, IW17, Rick R and 3 others like this.
  11. Mudman

Mudman Member

Mine is just ti get off my ass

12. Black5

Black5 Member

1. Prepare for world collapse.

2. Prepare for world domination after collapse.

3. Prepare to be disappointed in my success, re: #1&2.

4. Become more financially stable.

5. Buy a good water purifier and hatchet.

13. CWB

CWB Member

My goal is to go to BC and hang out with Bushie for a week.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Zeek, IW17, Rick R and 2 others like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ Heck yes!

Sea To Sky highway drive to Squamish , Whistler, Pemberton, Duffy Lake Rd, Lilloet, Lytton, and back down thru the Fraser Canyon!

BlueDogScout likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Rick R and BlueDogScout like this.
  16. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Lol the irony of the one time we took the canoe out is we left those at home and had to buy cheap ones at Walmart lol

17. Rick R

Rick R Member

My goals are:
    1) Lose weight. Currently down from 248# to 230#. Another 10 would be nice if my wife doesn’t perish from lack of carbs.
    2) Get in the woods more. The last two years have sucked due to all the rain.
    3) Find a way to transport the 16.5’ Pelican Cargo Canoe I got a hella deal on ten years ago but never cobbled together a way to use.
    4) Buy a Junglas or similar sized knife and a backup Izula II for my EDC .
    5) Enjoy my retirement.

DYSPHORIC JOY, IW17, C99c and 2 others like this.
  18. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Do you have a truck for the canoe?

19. Rick R

Rick R Member

Toyota Tacoma Quadcab with a 6.5’ bed. I’ve thought of build/buying a rack as the canoe is almost as long as the truck. It would stick 10’ past the end of the bed if I put it in there :confused: only slightly unlegal.
    At 110# empty it will be fun to get in and out of the rack by myself.

I have a clue why the guy I bought it off of said it had only been in the water twice and let it go for $200 .

BlueDogScout likes this.
  20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

They make a hitch rack that sticks out 5 feet to support it. They are maybe $60-$80. In most states a red fold at the end is required but you can also buy strap on tow lights to put on the end and just plug in like a trailer. Or just buy a used boat trailer for a couple hundred bucks.

Rick R likes this.