Your #1 & #2 blades for 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

I just had to repost this here since you edited (thanks) after I (and probably others) first read it.

What a great post. Thanks for taking the time. I love this kind of detail about the "why" part. So interesting, so useful. This is the way I learn best.

Also, I actually spent some time on pages for both knives after reading your words about them. Wow. I'm impressed, especially with that Inkosi. Da'yum. I get it. And you'll see why when I post my #1. ;)

However, neither are in my budget this year. Maybe next. :)

vikingr and Zeek like this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

OK, aperitif was good, dinner (sweet rice with mackarel and stewed tomatoes) was acceptable (even though I was dreaming of rib-eye with oyster mushrooms and extra butter).

So as promised, here are my 2 ... er, 3, to become 2.

It's too late on Friday night for much commentary. I'll do the "why" part when I'm fresh, after sleep. I know what I want to write about each -- and why a decision about #2 is not yet forthcoming.

But for tonight, after working my ass off to haul that log back here in the snow, after having to get up for an early morning meeting, for now, I just want to go over to Netflix and watch Jason Momoa kick red coat ass (The Frontier -- definitely B+ so far, but some capable actors and the story could develop later ....).

So, for now, I'll be brief.

#1: BRK/ESEE Zancudo. There's a story here, in terms of what member passed this along to me last week, why it's so special (first folder I've really wanted to carry in ... years, since the Spyderco Manix II), and what I'm using it for.

#2: Still a draw between my ESEE RB3 (also a gift from a member of this forum who wishes to remain anon = there's guilt by association we me! :eek: ) and my Fiskars X7 -- the reason I titled this exercise "blades" not "knives". I seem to be the only one so far to take that option. :confused:

Now, in reality, which two I ultimately pick will be based on my answer to a simple question: Will I spend most of 2018 in a comfortable place -- like my current studio, near a nice woodland where I can hike without fear of having to survive -- or will I spend a significant fraction of it in ... wild places where survival is priority?

Admittedly, given a choice, I'll take all three. (And in reality, I will. ;) )

But the exercise here is, if I can have only two, which two? I'll get back to you.

For now, I want to think about what Mr. Momoa -- er, Declan Harp -- might carry. :cool:

Zancudo RB3 & X7.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  3. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Do you still have your GB hatchets? Just curious.

Stone likes this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

No. I sold one (Kubben) to a friend in southern New England, and the other (WH) to @Wolfman Zack.

GB makes fine axes. No doubt. But ... the X7 just meets my needs better.
    This is my second; I sold the first one to get into the GB's. Full circle.

gobblegobble and koolaidnd like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

not to be a grump......but only 2 knives?

my last loadout (see Adventure section) I had a pack with a junglas, blackbird SK5, Avispa, SYKCO chophouse, Expat Libertariat, Kabar DogsHead, and about three other blades

:D

Dagwood, Zeek and Stone like this.
  6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Interesting thought here Stone, some well thought out replies too. My 2 for "carry" is the same as it has been for the past few months. The Condor El Salvador machete and my well used Rat 1 folder. My dream/plan is to get a Liberteriat. I picked up a Cutco cleaver back in the spring and wanted it bbbaaaaddd! Couldn't swing the price tho, then along came Expat with this lovely pizza cutter......

Stone likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

If I am limited to one or two neither will be a folder ;) My view (has been since I was a teenager) - and yes mine alone, not saying it is gospel or an absolute for anyone else nor do I consider it higher learning - just my personal for me position (enough qualifiers there you think ??) is simply why limit myself to a knife that is already broken in the middle.... :eek: :eek: and besides besides some gain in "portability" it is a knife just like the fixed blade - only broken.... :D

8. Stone

Stone Member

No, no, no. We're only playing a game. ;)

No one expects any one here to carry only two, especially you who would buy a truck to haul blades. :rolleyes: :cool:

But it's a fun exercise to think about ... as in a James Bond moment
    -- what two would be at the top of the kit if facing an odd job.

Zeek likes this.
  9. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Hmmm. I'm an all CRK guy so for me both are going to be CRKs but hard to narrow down which ones ....

CF Mnandi for office days
    Small Sebenza for most other days
    Large Sebenza for other days

Stone likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

pfffft. :Deveryone knows James bond has like 5 knives on him;)

Dagwood, Stone and Zeek like this.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

Oh yeah babe... and the Walther PPK
    Jamesb-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Dagwood and Stone like this.
  12. olywa

olywa Member

1) Stainless Izula - meets 90% of my cutting needs 90% of the time and carries near as easy as a folder

2) PR4 - works in the kitchen, works in the woods, carries light and easy

I'm gonna miss my yeller CV Peanut though.....

Stone and Bushman5 like this.
  13. Black5

Black5 Member

EDC would have to be my Kershaw blur, if you don't consider the blade on my leatherman wave. Otherwise, it would have to be the wave, because that Kershaw is sharp, but it won't twist fence wire for squat.

I would say the 5 for a big work knife, but i just received a 4 tonight from Secret Santa, and honestly, I'm beginning to have a relationship with the libertarian. A small folder does a lot of my cutting work, but when I need a fixed blade, it is usually big.

Stone and Zeek like this.
  14. Stone

Stone Member

I thought I'd post my "why" description tonight, but ... alas, today was another full day. I discovered suspension training today -- think TRX but the poor man's version (wow; new dimensions in workout; I'll be sore tomorrow) -- and dinner is next, followed by more Frontier (last I checked in, Mr. Momoa was hanging by his arms while a Redcoat tortured him with a knife -- must see the next episode), so ... I'll postpone my explanation.

Still thinking a lot about which two blades would be in my mythical "you can only have two" kit (knowing that in reality, I can have at least three).

#1 -- the Zancudo -- is still my main focus. What an amazing folder.

More soon ...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

Right. But I just re-watched that fight with Odd Job. Not a single blade did Mr. Bond deploy.

No tomahawk (or X7) to the skull, no TDI to cut tendons, no dagger to the neck, no Izula to the groin.

The only blade he could find was -- oddly, Odd Job's hat. Worked out well in the end, but ...

... where were those five blades he allegedly carried? Did he forget to pack that day? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

ASH1 X 2 THANK YOU..... :) :D It has a catchy sound to it .... ;) LOL

[​IMG]

Stone and Zeek like this.
  17. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Randall Model 25

Buck 110

This is not really accurate because I will be using the cleaver all the time as well as my RC-3 and a few others, including my GB SFA. But if I were forced to go with only two, it would be the above.

Stone likes this.
  18. Stone

Stone Member

It's about damn time you showed up here, Mr. @Expat.

You got a Libertariat on you?
    Highly ranked in this thread.

Carry on.

Zeek likes this.
  19. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

6 for wood prep 4 for food prep....
    ....And a SAK to brush my teeth after

Zeek and Stone like this.
  20. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I have loaned mine to the great Kydex Whisperer, @Allen Morrison . He is using it to make wonderful little pretty things to house the Libertariats of others.

Allen Morrison and Stone like this.